Love for all creeds and peoples

Discussion in 'General Philosophy' started by nicholas1M7, Jul 25, 2011.

1. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Supposedly, thats why its called unconditional love.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unconditional_love

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. birch Valued Senior Member

healthy unconditional love is a sense of humanity. there are those who try to stretch this to mean that it should be approval and acceptance for all and any actions which is unhealthy and unfair. it is not love actually, it is selfish demands because it is not based on real understanding or mutual reciprocity.

conditional love based on having one's wants or needs met can sometimes have nothing to do with love for another but how that person satisfies us. when you love someone in interpersonal relationships, it's usually loving 'who' they are, not just what they do for you. it can get blurred but who they are tends to result in what they do to you and for you.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Its not supposed to be based on anything, its supposed to be irrespective of will.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. birch Valued Senior Member

this statement is totally insane. let me put it this way, even i know that you don't love like this, it's not possible.

love can't be based on absolutely nothing, okay?

unconditional love is a sense of humanity in a nutshell.

8. wynn ˙ Valued Senior Member

Like being possessed by demons and such.

9. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

There is no one, no one at all, who loves you unconditionally? Not a mother, a child, a dog, a friend from childhood, a significant other? There is no one you could possibly love like that?

10. madanthonywayne Morning in America Registered Senior Member

Exactly, unconditional love is generally the love of a parent for their child. Romantic love is almost always conditional. But a parent will generally stand by their child no matter what.

11. birch Valued Senior Member

that's not what i said. you said it's not based on anything. a love for your child, for example, still has a reason as does all your other examples. a love for your child is most likely because it's your genes you are passing on or a self-love extending to your child as well as you may like the person and their particular qualities as well.

no one loves unconditionally. it may appear that they do but that is not true. the only thing that comes close, again, is a sense of humanity which then can become even more personal when in interpersonal relationships based upon liking or adoring their inherent characteristics.

12. Me-Ki-Gal Banned Banned

That is a good idea bro . Are you with Me. You might be surprised . You know there are people that are extremely Happy with there meager lives . They spend time with there families and the communities are healthier because of it . There needs are met so they are freed up to commune on pleasant levels of family love for each other . The children are well adjusted in this life style cause they feel loved and part of a bigger whole that works together . Division is where you get conflict . It is a divided world bro . We are the ones that can change it

13. Me-Ki-Gal Banned Banned

I love you Sara . You can throw Me done the stairs and watch me fall . If you ever take you love from me . Well that would be a tragedy.

Have you heard that song ? I don't know the name of it , but they have some talent . I cry when ever I hear it dear . I understand cause I been thrown down the stairs a lot. After awhile it don't hurt quite as much . You become complacent in your misery . I love you with no conditions . Please don't throw Me out with the trash . I know my plastic finger of a white man is brutal beyond belief . The world made Me that way . I do not choose to be a demon eagle . You think anyone could ever love a demon . I don't know ? Scape goats are a fact of life . It does to be changed in the mind set of humanity . I like the Idea you are writing history . Go Girl !!

Comrades in Arms

Last edited: Aug 16, 2011
  14. birch Valued Senior Member

okay, maybe i didn't explain it well the first time. i was describing how the idea of unconditional love is often misconstrued to mean that there is no reason behind it, it's just love period when that is not true.

when we love someone without conditions, it's because we are focusing on or loving their inherent characteristics or core characteristics so that when there is abberrant behavior that we dislike, we may think that is not the real person or there is some legitimate reason for it or we may find we love certain characteristics so highly that if and when something we dislike or disapprove of is expressed, the pros are outweighed by the cons. in some cases, the behavior may not even be an issue as far as love is concerned but something to manage like how a parent loves their child.

so yes, one can love someone unconditionally because we love 'who' that person is or who we think they are. but still, there is a reason why we love them.

as far as unconditional love in a broader context, it would be likened to compassion, fairness, and understanding/respectful of basic human rights etc.

15. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

I think you don't understand the concept of unconditional love. It has nothing to do with the qualities of other person, its based on on what YOU want to give them, not what they can give you. Yes, they can hurt you, disappoint you, be evil or unworthy. But inspite of that, your desire to give love will continue unabated even if you do not have the freedom to express it or share it.

It has nothing to do with the worthiness of the object of your affections nor can any behaviour by them have any effect on your desire to love them. You seem to define love by expectations and qualities of worthiness in the other, but unconditional love is about how you feel, regardless of how the other feels or what he does.

I do however think that loving unconditionally is not something that all people are capable of. There are parents who don't love their children and vice versa, spouses who dismiss their vows of love and loyalty and friends who abandon you rather than stick with you when the chips are down. But love if not unconditional cannot really be called love.

16. birch Valued Senior Member

heh, it's obvious you don't understand it. this is probably because you're not very honest with yourself. as you are a theist of a monotheistic religion, it doesn't surprise me. let me ask you something: do you love everyone unconditionally and equally or do you love some people more unconditionally than others?? for instance, your father, mother, sister, brother, husband?? and if you do love them more, why??

what you are describing is basically what i succinctly stated as a sense of humanity. you said that unconditional love is based on nothing and irrespective of will. what? that is contradictory to what you just stated here anyways.

but when you love someone unconditionally, you still love the other person because of who they are. otherwise, as i said, what you are describing is a basic sense of humanity such as compassion or good will.

17. birch Valued Senior Member

this is a hoot. oh, then how did the person go about picking a spouse? just randomly pick one and decide to unconditionally love them?? lmao

18. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

dictionary.com gives a good definition of the word unconditional. You may want to look it up. From what I have experienced, I will suggest that one way to recognise unconditional love is when you are willing to suffer personal loss or pain for someone else, even if it gains you nothing and maybe never will. But the absolute gold standard test, in my opinion, is the willingness to publicly make a complete fool of yourself for another person, before people who know you, regardless of how they reciprocate and not be embarassed by it.

Clearly not, as the divorce statistics indicate. I would say it could be anything from loneliness, to peer pressure to pragmatism, to sexual attraction to infatuation.

19. birch Valued Senior Member

actually that's an evasive answer. clearly, they pick based on characteristics even if their judgement was not altogether correct.

i ask, how do you pick your friends? who is your best friend? and why are they? because they just love everyone or they understand you better?

also, how can one truly love another if they don't understand the person? you said it doesn't matter what the other person thinks or feels or who they are. that's true when it comes to a general sense of unconditional love as we understand basics of people but when it gets more personal you find people also have their own uniqueness and values.

it's kind of like those theists who say they will pray for you. pray for what? for them to think like you or feel like you? is it selfish or loving? it can be either/or depending on whether you understand their needs versus yours.

20. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

And hence, the divorce statistics. The depth of a relationship is directly proportional to the commitment you are willing to invest in it. If you invest in a relationship where you are judging the other person, its not a relationship, its a transaction with a limited lifetime.

My friends are those who stick with me inspite of my poor characteristics rather than because of my great characteristics. Those I refer to as fair weather friends and do not mistake their affection for anything other than the superficial attachment it is

The test of relationship is not how good the other person is, its how far their weaknesses and inability to meet your expectations test your commitment to them.

Obviously they are fulfilling their needs. And their needs are fulfilled by praying for you. You seem to believe that it is upto them to fulfil your needs as well. Why is that?

21. madanthonywayne Morning in America Registered Senior Member

A Quote I came across that seemed on point:
    Conspicuously absent from the Ten Commandments is any obligation of parent to child.* We must suppose that God felt it unnecessary to command by law what He had ensured by love.* ~Robert Brault, www.robertbrault.com

22. birch Valued Senior Member

no shit. but some people are not compatible with eachother so therefore love can't deepen.

the point i made before which is inspite of the bad characteristics but they aren't your friends because of them.

no. the test of a good relationship is how mutual it is as well as how well each understand the other. it's not a one way street that you seem to think it is nor is it healthy for one to play the martyr and sacrifice while the other doesn't give a shit.

you are really into double-speak, aren't you?

23. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Then its not love is it? Because they are putting their needs ahead of their partners.

Hopefully not, but I wouldn't call them my friends if they did not stick with me despite them.

Is that what you mean by compatible relationship? That the martyr keeps looking for one where he does not have to be him or herself and the one who does not give a shit seeks someone with whom he can be someone else? Do you think a compatible relationship is achieved when people seek to be someone other than themselves?

No I am emphasising the point that you don't even meet the criteria for tolerance - let alone love - because you seem unable to accept people for who they are. If theists are praying for you, that is well, the best of themselves that they can give you. That is what love means, at its base, to give the best of yourself to someone else without expecting anything in return. What do you see yourself doing for people who pray for you? What do you have to give them?

Ironically, you realise that historically, at the time, children were routinely killed if they had any deformities?