Lord of The Rings

Discussion in 'SciFi & Fantasy' started by Stryder, Dec 11, 2001.

1. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

I'm only mentioning the film as people are awaiting its release,
    although looking at a clippet I thought Hobbits were suppose to have big feet.

Before anyone asks, I have no clue as to the Rangers (soccer or otherwise)

If you see the film, have read the book, or happened to wonder into an alternative but fictional reality, tell me and the rest of the forum about it we'd love to hear

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Pollux V Ra Bless America Registered Senior Member

Don't worry I'll try to see it next week when it comes out, I can't wait I can't wait!!!

EW (Entertainment Weekly) gave it an A! They had a sneek peek or something and treated it like any other review. I can't wait I can't wait. I'm so hyped I'm gonna 'splode!!

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. daktaklakpak God is irrelevant! Registered Senior Member

It's more like a fantasy than sci-fi.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. MuliBoy psykyogi Registered Senior Member

Well the hobbit actors are wearing prosthetic feet.
    I think it will be wonderful. I had the trilogy hardback with the art made by Alan Lee which influenced the look of the movie. I gave the book to my older sister, who is a living Tolkien encyclopedia.
    She used to scare me to death as a kid by reading aloud from the books while stalking me with crooked fingers

8. Porfiry Nomad Registered Senior Member

Well, we all know good scifi is, at its heart, fantasy.

The <A HREF="http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/entertainment/reviews/newsid_1702000/1702177.stm">BBC review</A> is definitely favorable.

I'm one of those fools who never read the book until now (though I read the Hobbit in high school). I am working my way through it now, and once I'm done with exams I'm sure to have finished the book before I see the movie. It really is exceptional.

9. Pollux V Ra Bless America Registered Senior Member

wait till you get to the second, porf, it's SO hard to finish. I hear the third's good though.

10. CounslerCoffee Registered Senior Member

It isnt "a fantasy film" It is THE FANTASY FILM! Im really excited about this to, never looked at any of the books but the movie looks really really good. Harry potter can go to hell. Up till now one of my favorite fantasy films was the laberenth (did i spell that wrong, who cares?), but now i just dont know anymore.

11. Pollux V Ra Bless America Registered Senior Member

welcome back, counsler

lol

Where ya been?

12. CounslerCoffee Registered Senior Member

No where special.......

13. wet1 Wanderer Registered Senior Member

I have been working on getting through it but have temporarily put it off till someone else finishes it. I am part way through. It seems well written and I like a book with a lot of pages to it. So that you can get into the world the author has made and if it is well written enough you can literally feel and see it in your mind's eye. Short stories just don't have that kind of development time.

14. Pollux V Ra Bless America Registered Senior Member

I find that creating a world that a fantasy or scifi universe can easily fit into is hard, a world where everything fits together just like it does here. I have a blurred picture of one in 'Evolution,' but I've decided to rewrite the whole story because of a flurry of problems like lack of description, too much of this, too little of that. But I have at least a blurred picture and I'm planning to finish writing the plot to it today.

Where'd THAT come from?

15. MuliBoy psykyogi Registered Senior Member

Lord of the rings is the classic of fantasy litterature.
    It has a complete mythology. There are scholars who devote their lives to mapping familytrees, learning elfscript and the darktounge of mordor.
    My previously mentioned elder sister is one of these students. The material is just huge and it´s all made by one man, Tolkien.

It´s not just The Hobbit and Lord of the rings. There´s the Silmarillion, bestiarys, Poems of Tom Bombadill and so on. The mythology is so rich (and I guess that´s why the trilogy might be a bit heavy. There is too much content).

Without Tolkien us nerds would have a totally different evolution.
    D&D? Never ever

Harry Potter? Starwars? Warhammer? Every piece of fantasy (all mediums) since the ´50´s pay their dues to Tolkien.

16. Pollux V Ra Bless America Registered Senior Member

people keep saying that but how are masterpieces like starwars and harry potter copying lord of the rings? What examples are there?

17. MuliBoy psykyogi Registered Senior Member

Simply that lord of the rings is a comprehensive fantasy with past, present and future. It is about questing (as are most epics) and contains the archetypes of modern adventure fantasy. It established the groundrules of fantasy imagery and all works since then have been influenced by it since then.
    It´s not ripping off, when a work of art rings true it becomes part of iconic-subconsciousness and seeps out of every artpiece that stands in it´s influence.

If it hadn´t been Lotr something else would have emerged and so would fantasy have had another legacy making it distinctly different, and propably identical in some ways. Archetypes being archetypes

18. Shadowstrife911 Hail the Shredder! Registered Senior Member

I saw the movie today and have one thing to say breathtaking...absolutley breathtaking. The settings were so well done the movie seemed like a historical documentary, not fake and prosthetic like some other fantasy films (I.e. Dungeons and Dragons.)

I've read, Lord of the Rings, Similarrion and the Hobbit (working on finding some more Middle Earth stuff) and have to say, the movie is very accurate in what it potrays from the book.

Go out and see it, I'm sure you won't be disappointed.

19. Pollux V Ra Bless America Registered Senior Member

I'll be seeing it this sunday with a couple o friends, I can't wait. I hope it gets the academy award (which may be a long shot) so it can bring the scifi and fantasy genre the glory it deserves! To the best of my knowledge the only scifi OR fantasy movie that won an academy award was 2001. Everything else just hasn't been really, truly breathtaking or incredible like Gladiator or, say, To Kill a Mockingbird. I also heard that some star wars fans want Peter Jackson, the director, to direct the next star wars movie, so we can be sure that at least THAT one will be good. I have no faith in the next one, since it'll probably be exactly the same as the Empire Strikes Back, which was actually a fairly good movie, but so was A New Hope, remember?

20. Callatya Registered Member

without reading the book....

I was just wondering how other people, mainly those who havent read the book, found this movie.
    I read the hobbit when i was much younger and altho the movie made total sense to me, you could see that a lot of the deeper things had been edited out...

I found the casting very impressive and never has Liv Tyler looked so stunning!

are there any videographers here who could explain the way that they would have made the size difference so pronounced but natural looking with the humans and hobbits?

21. Pollux V Ra Bless America Registered Senior Member

being the amateur 'videographer' that I am, and watching a few specials on the movie, I've found that they either use midgets in the long shots ("the stuff of nightmares"-elijah wood) and make the hobbits stand on their knees or have the humans stand on platforms out of the shot.

Now about the movie: INCREDIBLE.

That's all I have to say about it. The best fantasy/scifi movie ever, maybe the best movie of the year or even decade.

22. CounslerCoffee Registered Senior Member

I thought lord of the rings was excellent. and it has been nominated for academy awards in the catagorys of make up and special effects, standard awards for fantasty/scifi movies. Maybe it will get something at the hugos or saturn awards.

23. Counterbalance Registered Senior Member

A friend loaned "The Hobbit" to me at age fifteen, and that's all it took. I was hooked. For a span of many years I would wait for the weather to begin to turn each fall; until I was ready to take the journey again. There was nothing like hearing the October winds howling outside my bedroom window at night and taking every single step with the nine members of The Fellowship as each hastened toward his doom.

I've seen the movie twice now. Peter Jackson has earned my respect. In more ways than I expected he (and his ubba creative team) interpreted the story and saw Middle Earth exactly as I did. Where my imagination did not match his is not significant. I think he did an outstanding job and I'll be one of the first in line to see the next two parts.

For those who are only reading Tolkien for the first time, I just want to say that after reading "The Hobbit," "The Lord of the Rings" Trilogy, and "The Silmarillion" countless times...I STILL discover something new every time I pick up one of these works.

These are truly wondrous tales.

(P. S. Happy New Year, All!)

~~~

Counterbalance