Lord of the Rings soundtrack-best...movie soundtrack...EVER.

Discussion in 'Art & Culture' started by Pollux V, Mar 5, 2002.

1. Pollux V Ra Bless America Registered Senior Member

Anyone who likes classical music, or loved the greatest work of fantasy ever to be seen by human eyes on the movie screen should buy this album. You know what I'm talking about, you clicked on the thread. Yes, I'm talking about The Fellowship of the Ring movie soundtrack, which is just breathtaking. One of the best collections of classical that I have, with peaceful and serene pieces to norse-like pieces and action. (moans) I'm listing to it right now, listening to the Lothlorien part, my god....you must get this album. You will not regret it.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Miss Chicken Registered Member

I love the soundtrack. I listen to it a couple of times a day at least. My favourite tracks are 'Concerning Hobbits' and 'May it Be'

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Pollux V Ra Bless America Registered Senior Member

I was waiting for you to say something miss chicken

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Right now my favorites are Lothlorien and the song after it, I think it's called the river or something. I bought a portable cd player so I could listen to it whenever spare time arrived. Also track 11 is good, and the beginning of track 5. Concerning Hobbits was my first favorite and the one by Enya isn't so bad.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Congrats Bartok Fiend Registered Senior Member

Agreement!

That is a very beautiful soundtrack, Pollux- I am also listening to it right now. I have the privealge of playing that music in band- although I haven't gotten it yet.

If you like this, you should get Brahmms' German Requiem. It is very much the same kind of bombastic yet deep classical music. Or also Holsts' The Planets. Powerful.

I was surprised, though, that the soundtrack got mediocre reviews from most people in the music industry- it really is beautiful.

8. Pollux V Ra Bless America Registered Senior Member

Yes, congrats, I agree. They probably didn't like it because this is a soundtrack that really has to grow on you. At first I only liked 'Concering Hobbits' and the beginning of track five. Now I like almost every track there is and don't know about the rest of them because I don't listen to them enough.

I believe I've heard 'The Planets' before, rest assured I will track it down.

9. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

Not the biggest fan

I'm disappointed in the whole of Lord of the Rings: Fellowship of the Ring. This should be taken much the same way that I take many people who disapprove of Star Wars I: Phantom Menace. It just didn't strike me the way it does other people. I'm well aware, for instance, of the amount of brilliant work that went into the production, so I won't say it was a bad film; merely that the things I find important in the frame weren't up to my expectations; nonetheless, I imagine those more endeared to Tolkein than I am are blown away.

Among this is the soundtrack. I can hardly recall it; it didn't stand out to me, and in that sense may have detracted from the film experience as far as I am concerned. Beyond me ... well, I can tell from this thread that the score is obviously successful. To that end, then, let me sympathize; John Williams, who scored some of the best films of my youth (Star Wars, Indiana Jones) is a pirate. Danny Elfman (Hellraiser, Batman) as well. My favorite film score, Ennio Morricone's score for The Mission is consistently dismissed by those more adept than I as a hack job on Mozart.

Two cents. Not important in particular.

thanx,
    Tiassa

(PS on edit: We won't go into my second favorite movie score, the poorly-cut Legend soundtrack by Tangerine Dream; the issues with that ... yeah.)

Last edited: Mar 6, 2002
  10. Pollux V Ra Bless America Registered Senior Member

Everyone has their opinion. Did you listen to all of the tracks [tiassa]?

11. Pollux V Ra Bless America Registered Senior Member

Does anyone realize that at the end of track 17 the lil one singing says 'calling me back, I will go there, and back again.' There and Back Again is the Middle-Earth title for 'The Hobbit.'

Just thought it was a nice quick tidbit.

12. Teg Unknown Citizen Registered Senior Member

I must disagree.

It is easily eclipsed by the whimsical stylings of Thomas Newman in the soundtrack to American Beauty. I would place Gladiator's as second on my list.

As favorable aspects of Lord of the Rings go, I enjoyed the imagery to a greater degree.

13. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

Is the Lp different from the film?

To be honest, I know nobody who has put money into the soundtrack album. In that light, I might point back to the aforementioned Legend soundtrack; it's horriby cut in the film, but such is the nature of scoring films. It's hardly symphonic, though, more like a collection of singles than a cohesive body.

That the score seemed inconsequential to me is actually a plus for the film. Giving it as many liberties as I can, my overall review of it is, unfortunately, not good. But no, I haven't listened to the album as recreational listening.

It's hardly a condemnation, though. One would hope that a movie of that scale would have a fantastic soundtrack. It might well be that whichever classical composer was lifted for it just doesn't ring with me. Most of the standards don't. (However, listen to Dvorak's Symphony for the New World; I'm convinced that this particular piece is inspirational to many film soundtracks.)

That the Fellowship score doesn't score with me means little.

Incidentally, my favorite score for a film is only a partial; anyone with a DVD player and a CD player to spare ought to pick up a copy of 2001: A Space Odyssey and a CD of Pink Floyd's Meddle. The song Echoes is a bloody perfect scoring to the end of the film: Jupiter Beyond the Infinite.

Somewhere in Schaffner's Saucerful is a biographical note that suggests how that came to be. But in the face of the Dark Side of the Wizard bit, this one is, as I recall, a deliberate effort.

If documentaries count, I'll throw in the soundtrack to Latcho Drom. Elfman's work for Batman and whichever Hellraiser film he was in on stand out, as well. Of course, I'm a childhood fan of the John Williams standards, and, no, Jaws is not included because it is naked as a lift and hardly compelling. (I can't recall which symphony, but I'm thinking it's Haydn).

I despise all Elvis soundtracks.

Pulp Fiction stands out, though it's not a scored soundtrack. And on that note, I'll throw in Weird Science (also featuring Elfman in the title single) as a cheesy throwback to youth. (I'll skip the Hughes films.)

I have to admit, though ... the next large pseudo-classical production I'm actually looking forward to is the ballet allegedly being written by Roger Waters. Now this, I gotta hear. See? I don't like ballet; who cares?

At any rate ... this digression is brought to you by the haze in here.

thanx,
    Tiassa