Looking for an opinion on my book cover.

Discussion in 'SciFi & Fantasy' started by swivel, Jun 20, 2009.

1. swivel Sci-Fi Author Valued Senior Member

Not intentional. I'm using a font called "Distant Galaxy." Maybe it copied the Star Wars font?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. swivel Sci-Fi Author Valued Senior Member

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

I'm liking this one a lot. What's wrong with it? Only thing I can see left to play with is the font layout.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. tuberculatious Banned Banned

'molly' should be 'candy'

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Carcano Valued Senior Member

Using the Star Wars font is going to be the kiss of death.

The publisher will probably object if its spotted in time.

8. swivel Sci-Fi Author Valued Senior Member

In time? I still have six weeks before this thing goes to press. Consider it "spotted" by my trusty peer-review cohort here on SciForums!

9. Crunchy Cat F-in' *meow* baby!!! Valued Senior Member

Excellent work Swivel!

10. swivel Sci-Fi Author Valued Senior Member

Thanks, Crunchy Cat! What started off as a mock-up for my publishing house's art team has turned into my first project with Photoshop and the finished cover. Here it is, (sans Star Wars font thanks to Carcano):

11. Challenger78 Valued Senior Member

Dude. I liked the old font way better.

12. tuberculatious Banned Banned

you can't go wrong with comic sans serif.

13. swivel Sci-Fi Author Valued Senior Member

Now you're just playing with me, right?

Looking into it.

14. swivel Sci-Fi Author Valued Senior Member

15. Challenger78 Valued Senior Member

No.. I thought it looked cool.. Maybe you should do a poll..
    I meant the original cover.. with the curvy font.
    What's with the sound ?

Also, you should have some action scenes..right after the shadowy dude.. Otherwise pretty good.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2009
  16. Carcano Valued Senior Member

Honestly, the music is a disaster and the text gives little indication of either the back-story or the quality of your writing.

Your trailer needs to set the stage:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Back-story

In fiction or film, a back-story is the history behind the situation at the start of the main story. A back-story may include the history of characters, objects, countries, or other elements of the main story. As a literary device back-story is often employed to lend depth or verisimilitude to the main story. The dramatic revelation of secrets from the back-story, as a useful technique for developing a story, was recognized as far back as Aristotle.

17. Carcano Valued Senior Member

Heres an idea for the music.

Pick a classical symphony, like from Mahler for example, nothing well known, and find the crescendo. Use 2-3 minutes of the music leading up to the crescendo...where your text and images will end on the crest of anticipation!

18. swivel Sci-Fi Author Valued Senior Member

Good idea. But not Mahler. Please... not Mahler...

(jk, of course. But I sat through his 7th recently and still haven't regained my sense of balance)

19. Carcano Valued Senior Member

Yes, Mahler appeared when it was becoming fashionable to write disorientating music.

I was actually thinking of the Japanese film 'Ran'...the burning temple scene which uses Mahler's music, starting around the fifth minute.

http://hd.ku6.com/show/MV4eiy6r1YmywApd.html

Tchaikovsky's symphony no.4 has several brooding parts leading up to stormy crescendos.

If you go back in time to Mozart the music gets too cutsie and delicate...courtly or religious.

Japanese drumming might work as well...the all nude Taiko ensemble for example!

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/56404/taiko/

Last edited: Aug 2, 2009
  20. swivel Sci-Fi Author Valued Senior Member

Final edits are complete! The publisher is going through them right now, the book should get paginated on Monday, I'll have a review PDF out to a few authors next week, and then we're about three weeks from print!

Several SF members are getting credit in the book for their input way back in the rough-draft phase. I've been very pessimistic about this project since day one, but after this last round of edits, I have to say: this is a great book. Not just a good or decent read, but a great book.

21. alpinedigital Registered Senior Member

Awesome but the text angle does not match the reflection angle
    I think you should hook that up so the text appears to be on the reflecting glass.

22. ScaryMonster I’m the whispered word. Valued Senior Member

Mills And Boon Cover Art.

I’ve not read your story so I don’t know if the cover carrys across the emotional impact you’re trying to get across to the readers.
    I say Mills and Boon because the cover says to me that this story is for ‘Chicks’ I don’t know if thats what its about?
    I know romantic novels have a huge following so I can’t judge it on terms of salability I can only speak about good design.

The cover really is important because that’s the first thing the reader sees.
    Being a boofy sort of bloke my tastes in science fiction run grungyer off beat stories and the covers I’m attracted to are those of Chris Foss who did many of Asinov’s covers, Ron Cobb, Sid Mead and H. R Giger to name a few off the top of my head.
    I have to say speaking for myself if I saw that cover in a bookstore I wouldn’t pick up that book, because the cover implies things that I as a reader am not looking for.
    However saying that I read most of Ann McCaffery’s Dragon Riders of Pern series, which have a huge emotional (Girly) content. The cover art of her books first attracted me to them with its fantastic alien looking dragons.
    Damit I wish I could post some covers I’ve done, but this NG wont let me until I’ve done 20 posts.