Looking for an opinion on my book cover.

Discussion in 'SciFi & Fantasy' started by swivel, Jun 20, 2009.

1. swivel Sci-Fi Author Valued Senior Member

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Norsefire Salam Shalom Salom Registered Senior Member

Incredible. Did you make that yourself?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

You do fine work. Not much wrong with that image to me. :bravo:

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. swivel Sci-Fi Author Valued Senior Member

Yup. Spent three days on it. I think it looks better than most covers, much less small-press covers.

Thanks for the input! And my publishing contract is in the mail! Wooo-Hooo!

8. nietzschefan Thread Killer Valued Senior Member

It's a great cover, it would make me want to read the book.

However, in sci fi, I am always suckered in by good covers with crappy stories.

You story better be good bud

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

9. nene Banned Banned

Looks good ... I like the pinkish but why is the hand in the way..........

10. swivel Sci-Fi Author Valued Senior Member

The young lady is placing her hand on the glass. When the reader gets to that part of the book, it should make sense.

Nietzschefan, I'm a bit biased, but I have to say... as someone that reads a lot of books, going back over this one to edit it has made reading other stuff difficult. I wrote the book that I would want to read, leaving out the stuff I normally skim over. The amount of emotion, action, adventure, humor, intrigue... etc.... will please you. I really think so. And I'm usually very critical of my work.

If you want a sample of my work (albeit in a slightly different tone and style), you can check out a short story I wrote last week:

http://www.hughhowey.com/?page_id=95

I haven't done a lot of editing on it yet, but you may get a sense of whether or not I can write.

11. jpappl Valued Senior Member

Fantastic and conrgrats to you.

12. Bebelina kospla.com Valued Senior Member

I think it looks boring.

13. tablariddim forexU2 Valued Senior Member

I think the hand on the globe type thingy is powerful and enigmatic; the human faces spoil it, esp as they seem so ordinary.

14. shorty_37 Go! Canada Go! Registered Senior Member

That's how I feel too. The people look very boring to me. :shrug:

15. glaucon tending tangentially Registered Senior Member

Pretty decent work.

Myself, I'd tint the background to another colour.. most likely in the blue range. The pink hue, in combination with the faces, at a glance, makes me think it's a romance novel.....

16. Norsefire Salam Shalom Salom Registered Senior Member

I'd agree with that. But the pink gives it a more "cosmic" feel.

17. PsychoTropicPuppy Bittersweet life? Valued Senior Member

Just by judging the cover; I wouldn't buy it. Maybe it's just me... completely remove the faces and just add the globe with the hand (centered), also while I like the colours..I'd change the globe's colour to something more....contrasting. Or make the faces look more androgynous.
    Bah....

18. codanblad a love of bridges Registered Senior Member

i agree with criticism so far, looks kind of romantic, the faces are plain. my impression from the text is that its a scifi/action book, the cover isn't conveying that.

19. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

well, when they make a movie of it, people are gonna expect those models to be the people in the movie.

20. Pandaemoni Valued Senior Member

It's also not clear, from the angle of the glass that, from the woman's position her hand is touching the globe. Taking parallax into account if the viewer were to rotate into her position, it seems she is looking well off to the side of the globe.

Also, something about the guy's looking right at me seems off.

Some constructive criticism, as what's there is better than what I could do

21. lightgigantic Banned Banned

I think it needs something to more solidly place it in the genre of sci fi. Maybe it needs a different title or maybe it needs a few more sci fi elements in the typography or illustration.

At the moment it kind of looks like some sort teen age romance thing ... perhaps because of the word "Molly" and the sort of mild sexual thing happening between the "plainish" girl is identified as caressing the planet/man in the background

22. hypewaders Save Changes Registered Senior Member

I'm not mollified. Parsonally, I see no rescue for this uge owie. But I never judge a book by its cover. Please send 500 signed copies.

23. swivel Sci-Fi Author Valued Senior Member

Thanks for the feedback so far. A few of you seemed to like the cover at first, but the consensus seems to be that it sucks harder than a black hole. One thing I tried was clothing the couple with flightsuit-looking garb, which seemed to create a bit more of a sci-fi type feel.

The book is posted as "Coming Soon" at the publisher's site with the latest version (not final by any means).

http://www.norlightspress.com/coming-soon.html