Longevity

Discussion in 'Human Science' started by timojin, Sep 30, 2016.

1. timojin Valued Senior Member

life expectancy after 80

taly is the European country with the highest percentage of the population aged 80 or over, the latest report from Eurostat shows.

Once you've reached 80, in Italy you can expect to live for another decade, slightly above the European average of nine years, six months. But France is the country where 80-year-olds have the longest life expectancy, at 11 years.

The longevity of Italians has intrigued scientists for many years, and studies are regularly carried out to try to discover the Mediterranean secret. The number of centenarians in the country has more than tripled over the last 15 years - but why?

http://ec.europa.eu/eurostat/docume...P-EN.pdf/4b90f6bb-43c1-45ed-985b-dfbe9564157a

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. mathman Valued Senior Member

Mediterranean diet?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Dinosaur Rational Skeptic Valued Senior Member

I think I have read articles about folks with 3-4 long lived grandparents tending to live longer than average, suggesting a genetic effect.

I am not sure that such articles mentioned adjustments for other factors such as wealth, geographic location,& other possible causes.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Xelasnave.1947 Valued Senior Member

I speculate but there may be something in how the family and society treat old folk.
    Besides care and diet, feelings as to how you fit could matter.
    If you are treated as past it, or made to feel you are a burden on others perhaps you set something in motion to get out of the way.
    Many old folk seem very positve in attitude.
    Alex

8. Goliathus Registered Member

Genetics also play a big role. The best thing you can do is base yourself on science and see what the healthiest diet/lifestyle is to reach full potential.