Long term space travel and the human brain..

Discussion in 'Human Science' started by Bells, May 8, 2015.

1. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

You've got the answer.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. StrangerInAStrangeLand SubQuantum Mechanic Valued Senior Member

Yes, I have the answer. Unless you are omniscient or have been zipping around in your starship.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

Nup, just a matter of logic and accepting the fact that this little fart arse blue orb we inhabit is in no way special or privileged.
    Plus of course the isotropic and homogeneous nature of the universe and the stuff of life being everywhere we look,

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. StrangerInAStrangeLand SubQuantum Mechanic Valued Senior Member

As a matter of logic, I cannot accept your claims of knowing what you cannot know.

8. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

As a nobody, whether you accept it or not, is neither here nor there.
    The numbers, observations and the facts of isotropy, homogeneity and the stuff of life being everywhere, support the affirmative position

9. StrangerInAStrangeLand SubQuantum Mechanic Valued Senior Member

Your attempts at insult do not help your claim.

10. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

Insults???? Oh! You mean the nobody remark.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Let me reassure you that I'm also in that boat......Obviously in line with the debate, when I say nobody, I mean non scientists. Is that some comfort?
    And of course it isn't my claim per se. It's the general accepted view of most astronomers/cosmologists, based on the indirect evidence I have supplied.

11. Daecon Kiwi fruit Valued Senior Member

It's a reasonable assumption that life exists elsewhere in the Universe.

Even if there was an average of one planet per galaxy with life, that's still millions of planets.

Of course, that doesn't mean UFOs are real or that aliens are visiting Earth to abduct the occasional redneck.

12. StrangerInAStrangeLand SubQuantum Mechanic Valued Senior Member

I need no comfort, I simply stated a fact.
    You have no idea who or what I am. I imagine you will go on with your assumptions & faith based beliefs.
    I tried to help.

13. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

There is only one fact, and that is we do not know for sure.
    I have never denied that.
    But the evidence available, the known facts of the universe and the numbers supports a affirmative approach.
    For some reason that seems to ruffle your feathers somewhat.
    In fact most cosmologists firmly believe that if it were shown that we were it, it would raise far many more questions than any discovery of life.
    Can you imagine it? A whole Universe and just us! Oh well, back to the days of Ptolomy !

Anybody who has been seriously engaged in scientific work of any kind realizes that over the entrance to the gates of the temple of science are written the words: 'Ye must have faith.'
    Max Planck:

And that applies double in the astronomy sciences.

14. billvon Valued Senior Member

Given the odds it is almost a certainty.

15. Billy T Use Sugar Cane Alcohol car Fuel Valued Senior Member

So you agree: Fermi's question: "Where is everybody?" needs an answer. ? I suspect that cosmic ray bursters, may be the answer.

16. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

Fermi's question is easily answered...time and distance.

17. Daecon Kiwi fruit Valued Senior Member

What if Humanity is just the first sentient species to evolve? Someone has to be first, right?

18. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

Of course that is a possibility. But consider the Universe is 13.83 billion years old, and Earth has only been around for 4.6 billion years.

19. Daecon Kiwi fruit Valued Senior Member

That's a good point. I wonder what the earliest time could have been for life to develop? It would have to have been at least after the second generation of stars had formed so that their planets had elements like Carbon and Oxygen available, and whatever other trace elements are necessary for advanced life to arise, would also need to be abundant enough for a complex ecosystem.

20. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

True, although worth noting the first generation of stars were behemoths and had relatively short life spans measured in the 10s of millions of years.
    Second generation stars would have been around at a real rough guess, about a billion years after the BB? and probably before that.