Logic vs evidence

Discussion in 'General Philosophy' started by Magical Realist, Mar 30, 2016.

1. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

Truer words were never spoken.

They apply, not just to scientific analysis, but to pseudo/non-scientific conclusions just as well. Without it, we get mired hip-deep in woo,; there are myriad examples of this right here on this forum.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

It defies outdated logic, based on a classical Newtonian universe. We now have new data with which to form new, logical, theories.

krash661 likes this.
  4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

Let me beat krash661 to the punch.

"LOL. Carry on." Full stop.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. krash661 [MK6] transitioning scifi to reality Valued Senior Member

LIM-- my luv

-- i love the episode of " musings of a cigarette smoking man '-- i love that episode--my #1 favorite of all time.

8. krash661 [MK6] transitioning scifi to reality Valued Senior Member

i would advise that spending more time to ponder what i clearly stated is massively relevant..
    also, read further than past post #20.
    hmm, i thought everyone whom commented on this perceived themselves as intelligent.

9. krash661 [MK6] transitioning scifi to reality Valued Senior Member

comical-- uh-huh--and whom would that be-- people on here or your friends in the real world?? according to whom is what i am asking..
    again--comical.

10. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

Newton's laws of motion are outdated logic? Not for a pool shark..

11. krash661 [MK6] transitioning scifi to reality Valued Senior Member

play pool on another world other than earth..

12. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

13. krash661 [MK6] transitioning scifi to reality Valued Senior Member

no-- this is the massive point of newtonian laws-- it ONLY pertains to earth in general. once applied to other gravitational levels, it is not accurate(einstein's gravity theory for instance). the strange thing, it is accurate in the cosmos with little gravity. once individuals can understand this then they will progress.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2016
  14. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

Prove it.

15. krash661 [MK6] transitioning scifi to reality Valued Senior Member

comical-- my god.. (shakes head)--seriously?-- i should have known you would have pulled some sort of a pathetic shenanigan.
    prove that you are not an ignoramus that cannot simply decipher differentialities.

(shakes head)

16. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

Can't prove it? Just as I thought..

17. krash661 [MK6] transitioning scifi to reality Valued Senior Member

just as i thought, you simply do not understand the sciences that you speak of(HOW TYPICAL--

(SHAKES HEAD)).
    comical.

18. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

Newton's Laws of Motion were not under discussion; we were discussing quantum entanglement. See the quote above, that I directly quoted. And the classic Newtonian universe is outdated in this respect.

You're too eager to find fault, leading to sloppy responses.

19. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

Newton's classical universe includes his laws of motion. But then you knew that.

"Classical mechanics describes the way objects move and interact in accordance with Newton's laws of motion. The basic assumptions involve a frame of reference (x,y,z) with respect to which object with mass m moves, there is an independent time variable t to record the sequence of the movement, the gravitational or electromagnetic interaction between objects is instantaneous, and objects with geometric extent are often idealized as a point (with the justification that the size is much smaller than the distance involved)."===https://universe-review.ca/R15-17-relativity.htm

20. Russ_Watters Not a Trump supporter... Valued Senior Member

I'm not actually sure what you mean by parsimony there. People get to choose how far they are willing to push the logic. Many physicists, for example, reject - or at least, choose not to accept - the singularity at the center of a black hole. Knowing how far you can push logic is a skill that I think scientists are better than average at because they are focused on the requirement for evidence to establish a theory.
    You should spend more time in the UFO/Ghosts/Monsters forum...

Yes, not discarding an idea after it has failed is a failing, but there is a first part to that that is also very real: Pushing the logic too far in the first place is an issue of lack of restraint and acceptance of an hypothesis with insufficient evidence.

21. Russ_Watters Not a Trump supporter... Valued Senior Member

Billiards is a low precision case where Newton's Laws still work well enough to keep using. Yes, they are wrong (except in extremely narrow cases, but this isn't one of them); just not wrong enough to matter in that case.

22. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

So in other words, they're not outdated logic. Thanks for confirming that.

"Newton's laws are valid only under certain conditions.

• In general, the distances with which one works must be much greater than the size of atoms and molecules. If this is untrue, then quantum mechanics must be used in place of classical mechanics.
    • In general, the speeds which one works with must be much less than the speed of light. If this untrue, then relativistic mechanics must be used in place of classical mechanics.
    • Even when the above are true, Newton's laws are only valid with respect to inertial frames of reference."
    https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Classical_Mechanics/Newtonian_Physics

23. Daecon Kiwi fruit Valued Senior Member

I'm not sure what Newton's laws, or classical mechanics, have to do with effects at the quantum scale, or entanglement.