Locking topics in the middle of an arguement

Discussion in 'Site Feedback' started by notPresidentAndrew, Jan 29, 2003.

1. notPresidentAndrew Banned Banned

Locking topics in the middle of arguements is a bad idea. Some jerk makes a point, and as I'm trying to refute it the topic is locked, and my point must be moved to another thread or be sent in a pm, or it is lost forever. Topics should only be locked when the discussion has died down for a few days. That's more fair.

Mods, please quit locking topics before I make my points. Thanks.

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Thor "Pfft, Rebel scum!" Valued Senior Member

To quote Jim Carey's character 'Ace Ventura' - "Let's do all the things you want to do!"

You can't have everything your own way here, but I have noticed some very good debates that have become locked by a mod because of a few posters. Wouldn't editting a few posts just sort it out.
    And I've kinda noticed it's in the Ethic area the most. Maybe there's some biased moderating going on there

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. notPresidentAndrew Banned Banned

I don't expect all of my ideas to be put in practice, despite their brilliance, but at least one would be nice.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. wet1 Wanderer Registered Senior Member

The reason the topic is locked instead of being deleted altogether is to control bad behaviour. Offshoot threads from those usually get locked too. What is being said when a topic thread is locked is basically, "SHUT UP!".

By closing the threads as opposed to deleting the threads the mods are allowing you to retain credit for your posts. If the thread is deleted then you lose the post counts within that thread.

8. goofyfish Analog By Birth, Digital By Design Valued Senior Member

Sorry... utilizing our psychic abilities to determine when you are going to post only works in the Parapsychology forum.
    Perhaps if you would share one of the brilliant ones instead of these...?

:m: Peace.

9. notPresidentAndrew Banned Banned

They're all over this board.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

10. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

For the love of Alvin, quit whining!

Shut up shut up shut up!

A note for everyone:

- If you have a problem with our moderators, bug Porfiry. If the response you receive is inadequate to suit your purposes, then leave.

- If you have a problem with another poster, then appeal to the moderators. See prior point.

- If you have trouble treating people with decency at least some of the time, then don't bother showing up.

- Is this your house? Is your goddamn mother here? No? Get used to it. See above points.

- Is this your website? If you're not Porfiry, please see above points.

Why is it that every time I bother to feel badly about the way I've treated this forum and its posters, there's always someone waiting in the wings to remind me that I shouldn't feel so badly about it? I mean, seriously: at least people have to do more than simply show up at this site to piss me off.

Think of it this way: I don't like the idea of banning people. I don't even like appealing to our moderators. But when I do, it's usually something severe, and instead of "Ban the bastard," I usually simply ask, "Must I put up with this?" And, usually, a solution is found that comes far short of banning anyone.

But when it comes right down to it, the professional bitches hacking this board to pieces with their constant whining might as well not be here at all. I value people's voices, even if they're psychotic and wrong. But the simple truth is that for all the whining and moaning going on, there's little or no actual debate. Some posters I think show up now just to bemoan their piss-poor existence and advertise their gutter intellect. As much as I hate to say it, those posters shouldn't be here. There's something to be said about the anemic status quo, and there's something to be said about dragging the place down a notch. But there exists now a horde of whiners whose constant presence barely aspires to equal a null sum. In other words, the same amount of nothing will get accomplished whether they're here or not. As such, I would hope they would just leave.

We can't ban them, as such a state would work against us on the day that these people finally have something of value to offer us. Or maybe we can, but I'm never a fan of permanently silencing anyone. In the end, I would hope that the marvelous intellects allegedly responsible for all of this two-penny moaning would just figure out that they're not a good match for this board and move on to the next. It is my undying faith in humanity that prevents me from calling for their executions in a ditch out in farm country.

But for the sake of whatever it is that people find important, I think it would be best if a number of people left. They know who they are. Do us a service, and we'll remember your sacrifice with honor. Keep whining and moaning and your memory will be, "Hey, do you remember that prig?" It's not a threat, but a natural consequence of what happens when you upset the herd repeatedly for no good reason. Seriously, mention notorious posters of Sciforums' past by name and you'll alternately get chuckles, scathing looks, and occasionally a couple of painful memories out of people.

But if I have to appeal to self-interest, then I shall: You all look ridiculous! Didn't your mothers raise you to have any sense of decency for those around you? If you want respect you're going to have to do better than sit in the middle of the floor and cry until your face is purple!

And as to the current complaint: Some topics should never be started in the first place. Got an important point? I'm sure you can find some other way to make it. After all, you're supposed to be smart, right? Use that brain for once. I'm sure that people have something better to do than chase false Muslims around this board. Jesus, if it means that much to you, apply to work for the Bush administration.

In fact, if we look at our kind topic-poster's history, I can only say that there has been an upsurge of late in the number of topics around the Religion forum that need not ever have wasted the light of day.

Let's hop over to Asguard's closing of a thread in the Ethics forum; after massive and apparently logical appeal, the decision was made to reopen a closed thread, and we saw what that got us. With measures in place to separate the ethical and religious issues of the topic, people lost interest. I think it shows that the topic was never about discussion at all, but about a platform for one person to show her scorn for anyone else. That poster gets marked off in my annals of, "I can't believe the low state of the human condition" alongside a couple of others who have displayed shocking lacks of awareness, common-sense, and in many cases, reading comprehension.

Really, the board looks these days like its in the throes of a massive psychosis. People are so sick of the necessity of decency that they only acknowledge it in order to stab it yet again, seeking the heart, seeking the heart, seeking to tear open the four chambers and spill life to the winds of the Universe. People used to joke that the amount of time I spent here was unhealthy, and at the time they would have had a point. In the current environment, however, I question both the time and the nature of some of our posters' continued presence here, and urge them to seek professional help right away.

For all this site pisses certain people off, I'm left to wonder why they don't leave. Strangely, they're not contributing a whole lot to the civilized discussions that manage to germinate among the weeds, either. It's almost like they live to upset people and then whine to the nearest authority that so-and-so is upset. Hell, my brother and I stopped doing that at 9 or 10 years old and settled for just just beating the hell out of each other.

Pick a bike rack, bring your friends for support, invite some girls to impress, and have it out at 3:05 pm exactly.

Just don't bug the rest of us. Some of us are grown-ups, some of us are growing up, and some of us consciously refuse to grow up. But we all have better things to think about than whatever is bothering the latest in a long string of useless, whining brat posters who couldn't spell "contribute" unless they had a dictionary at hand to make their complaint sound more grown-up.

"Bitch" is an ugly color on anyone. The last thing we need here is a bunch of divas who think it the perfect color for them. Okay? It's worse than 1970s avocado green or 1980s "lime" green.

:m:,
    Tiassa

11. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

thor when making a complaint its fair to point to WHAT THE HELL YOU MEAN

i have locked 4 threads

1-News, its there just as a reference and i am the only one i want posting in there

2 - enough is enough. was there to make a point and wasnt SURPOSED to be open

3 - discrimination, was locked at the sugestion of dave

4 - homosexual laws, was locked at the sugestion of every mod but pollex i think

where is the bias?

12. notPresidentAndrew Banned Banned

Ok Banshee just closed a good thread of mine in the religion section even though he is not a mod for that section.

13. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

SHE is a super mod

she can do what she liked WHEREVER she likes

14. notPresidentAndrew Banned Banned

That's why I have that gender poll in the life area.

15. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

Umm

just try going through the pic thread

B\W i will warn you because its only fair CHANGE NOW because if you dont you wont BE here much longer

16. notPresidentAndrew Banned Banned

I need to quit visiting so many forums anyway. I won't change my view. I will be a myrter for my cause.

17. Porfiry Nomad Registered Senior Member

A self-proclaimed martyr is not.

18. notPresidentAndrew Banned Banned

Ok James just closed a thread of mine asking everyone to vote on whether or not Green will convert anyone. Stupid Muslim symphaizers.

19. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

20. Balder1 Registered Senior Member

You didn't ban him, did you?

21. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

yes NPA is now nolonger a meber of sciforums

22. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

I heard some one band Green_world too, is that true? I liked him he made me laugh like the mad hater!

23. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

yes he was banned for threatning PM's, once he did that he sealed his own fate