List of worthless college degrees

Discussion in 'Science & Society' started by joepistole, Feb 5, 2008.

1. Cellar_Door Whose Worth's unknown Registered Senior Member

Having 'a degree' will get you into many office jobs, however irrelevant the subject is.

What bollocks - people with degrees vary as widely as people who don't. Besides, they were probably so bored by your limited knowledge of 'basic things' that they couldn't be bothered to engage in a conversation with you.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. StrangerInAStrangeLand SubQuantum Mechanic Valued Senior Member

Having a degree is only 1 small indication of possible intelligence, no indication of critical thinking & no indication of much knowledge outside that field.
    Many businesses require a degree for some positions with no regard for what degree it is.

Talent can be repressed and stifled in the process of getting a degree.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 23, 2008
  4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member

Me too, business and finance. I have IT developers working for me.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Carcano Valued Senior Member

Women's studies and Sociology.

8. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member

Yeah, I had to take a womens studies course. It was horrible and a waste of time in my opinion.

9. shorty_37 Go! Canada Go! Registered Senior Member

What exactly is Women's Studies?

10. Captain Kremmen All aboard, me Hearties! Valued Senior Member

Anyone leaving a university at this time with less than a very good degree, or having a degree with little purpose, will find it harder to get a job than someone without that degree at all.
    Better to shove it into a drawer and pretend you were in prison.

11. shorty_37 Go! Canada Go! Registered Senior Member

I think the best route these days is to take up a trade. My ex is an Electrician for Hydro and makes close to 100,000 a yr. I think my boys will end up taking up some kind of trade too. There seems to be a demand for it and the money is good. There are too many prisses out there who don't want to get their hands dirty anymore.

12. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member

Men study women all the time anyway...no need for a course.

Women's studies is typical a history class on the role of women in society. And in some cases can be a platform to promulgate a feminist agenda.

13. shorty_37 Go! Canada Go! Registered Senior Member

Sounds pointless to me. Do they have Men Studies?

14. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member

No, no men's studies that i am aware of anyway.

15. Nasor Valued Senior Member

Yes, but instead of learning about history and sociology they teach you how to design bridges and jet engines.

16. iceaura Valued Senior Member

The rest of the curriculum.

It's like the library section for black authors. The section for white authors is all around you.

17. electrafixtion Registered Senior Member

Excuse me, but in all fairness, that's just plain ridiculous. What a clearly anecdotal thing to state.

Women's Studies is a very specific school of progressive thought and observed history relating to the social evolution of women.

"the library section for black authors" All the rest are white right?

:shrug:

18. Carcano Valued Senior Member

No, that would be sexist. :bugeye:

19. StrangerInAStrangeLand SubQuantum Mechanic Valued Senior Member

I don't think many men study women or many women study men. That would mean a sincere desire & effort to educate oneself & understand the subject.

20. draqon Banned Banned

Unfortunately they do not have Men Studies. In this era, people are focused on a sexist war and cannot find true sexual equality. If Men and Women would be equally studied, or at least given a chance to be studied, since true equality does not exist...if such would happen the world would be at peace with itself.

21. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member

Sociology is a real good waste of paper and money. It has been my experience that sociologist are either academically challenged, lazy or both. If you want an easy A, take a sociology course.

22. camilus the villain with x-ray glasses Registered Senior Member

you're fuckin crazy, sociology is not only interesting, its useful! there is a sociologist for every goddamn thing in the world, they basically collect data about any human behavior, and interpret it to get results, make predictions, and so forth. A sociologist IS different from the social worker though, that was like the first thing my sociology instructor said.

AND, you study Karl Marx in sociology, only math and physics are more fun than that.

23. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

what a load of crap, sociology is a vital part of epidemology which is vital for people working in public health