List of worthless college degrees

Discussion in 'Science & Society' started by joepistole, Feb 5, 2008.

1. Norsefire Salam Shalom Salom Registered Senior Member

I personally think that education seems to be more about paperwork and files than actual knowledge. It's overrated.

What I mean is, there's too much silly policy and procedure and not enough true learning. So what if there is one guy that is a genius at, say, technology but never bothered going to college? Should he not get a job?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member

I have to agree, a degree in education is pretty pointless. It just serves to limit the supply of potential teachers. I just do not see the value in a teaching degree. Home teachers, often non degreed people, have shown themselves to be equally effective and in many cases more effective than professional teachers.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member

Who offers degrees in parapsychology?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Norsefire Salam Shalom Salom Registered Senior Member

Professional teachers? Don't make me laugh. There is no teaching, it's nothing more than constant repitition and tedium (if that's a word).

Anyone can be a teacher. Anyone skilled in a certain field can be a teacher.

8. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

um without an education degree you cant legally BE a teacher. this is partly because a componant of the course has to do with manditory reporting which is the law for anyone working in the health, education, and legal sectors as well as in the public service, the churches and politics.

Arts on the other hand is a toilet paper degree

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

as is philiosphy

9. CutsieMarie89 Zen Registered Senior Member

I completely agree with you. College education and most of high school too is completely over rated. It seems like its just stalling. College teaches you nothing about real on the job experience. Knowledge is great, but it really doesn't compare to experience.

10. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

im sorry but besides the resurch (which is DEFINITLY lacking in the emergency medical sector) what exactly makes you think that you who dont have a degree would be as good a paramedic as me (when i finish mine)

Then there is the fact that they need ALOT more resurch so they are desprate for people to do masters degrees and PHD's in the EM field

11. CutsieMarie89 Zen Registered Senior Member

Like I said knowledge is great, but it can't compare to experience. I plan on becoming a surgeon, but anyone who has actually operated before degree or not is a better surgeon than I, because book smarts can only take you so far.

12. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

im sorry but i would DEFINITLY perfer a surgon who has studied A&P BEFORE cutting me open rather than just "winging it"

13. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member

I am not saying teaching is bad. Certianly people need to be taught. But a professional degree in teaching is not necessary. One must have some knowledge of the subject matter and be able to communicate. Legal constraints aside, one does not need a teaching degree to teach...just knoweldge of the subject and the ability to effectively communicate.

14. USS Exeter unamerican american Registered Senior Member

Russian literature.

15. iceaura Valued Senior Member

A degree in teaching is probably overdoing it, but there is definitely a skill set that can be acquired, and acquired faster through formal study.

I have worked beside professional high school math teachers, and graduate students in math, handling TA work in first year college calculus - the pros were better at it, despite being inferior mathematicians in general.

One of the grad students was better than all the others. I shared a class with him, and discovered that he had pressured the department to allow him to take a graduate level class in teaching methods for mathematics - it showed. A lot of the fancy stuff is silly (the fads in US mathematical pedagogy have been not jsut silly but criminal, IMHO ) but the insights into different types of learning and different approaches for different students are real, and may be available in no other way.

It's one thing to teach a compatible student or two at home. It's quite another to face five classes of thirty teenagers each five days a week, with a core curriculum to get through and records to keep, if you care about their success.

16. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

Hopefully not many places now. I once found it listed while looking through a local universities PhD supplement, It make be laugh. I mean the only thing that can come from it is perhaps a PhD in just the History and Mythology, perhaps even a Psychological explanation in regards to how that factors in to peoples "delusions" as their minds attempt to make sense of obscure data.

There are however a few ex-university students out there with this degree that regularly try to capture ghosts on camera or test the background radiation of crop circle formations with Geiger counter's. It's not that they prove parapsychology exists and technically they don't want to disprove it either because their qualification would be worth less than toilet paper.

This isn't my local, however it has a Parapsychology Unit:
    http://www.koestler-parapsychology.psy.ed.ac.uk/
    (I wonder if they remotely viewed I was going to post on this subject and their URL beforehand?)

17. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member

I think there are a few universities in Europe and one in the US that offers a few classes.

18. CharonZ Registered Senior Member

Wait a tick... you can get a degree without practical training?

19. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

no you cant, thats a myth.

My sister is just about to finish her physio degree and her whole third year was practical (under another physio), mum has an education degree and her whole fourth year was in the class room as a student teacher. Almost every unit i do in my paramedics degree (at least the paramedics topics) have a practical assesment (CPR, giving drugs, ventaliation, facture management, defribalation ect), then when we finish we STILL have to do a 2 year internship before we are qualifided

20. 33639856 Registered Member

excuse me but don't get on your high horse you can't even spell research so what if you have a college degree in the grand scheme of things everyone is equal no matter whether they have a degree or not

Last edited: Jun 20, 2008
  21. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member

Anthropology, a complete waste of time.

22. superstring01 Moderator

But it's such a cool field of study, one I would have love to've gone into.

In college I studied Business Admin & IS Technology. Very useful.

~String

23. Absane Rocket Surgeon Valued Senior Member

These guys would disagree.