List of worthless college degrees

Discussion in 'Science & Society' started by joepistole, Feb 5, 2008.

1. mikenostic Stop pretending you're smart! Registered Senior Member

No thanks. I'll pass. The winters in the North suck ass (I HATE cold weather), and housing is too expensive. If you can deal with the higher than average ratio of rednecks and white trash around here, the South is an awesome place to live.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. shorty_37 Go! Canada Go! Registered Senior Member

It doesn't matter how many degrees you have on paper, if you lack all common sense.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. shichimenshyo Caught in the machine Registered Senior Member

Now thats just ot true

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. draqon Banned Banned

No one lacks all common sense, because there is no such thing as "common" sense.

8. shorty_37 Go! Canada Go! Registered Senior Member

I have come across ppl with various lists of degrees. Then you talk to them about some basic things and they don't have a clue. It's like they filled up there brain with so much knowledge there is no room left for basic common sense.

9. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

My degree would be absolutely and utterly useless in the USA.

10. draqon Banned Banned

aren't you a lawyer?

11. shichimenshyo Caught in the machine Registered Senior Member

Common sense doesnt help you make as much money as a bunch of degrees, and in our current society money is all that seems to matter.

12. shorty_37 Go! Canada Go! Registered Senior Member

It has always made me make lots of money

13. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

True, true. But Continental European. USA legal system is completely different. And moronic, and irrational.

14. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

I wish that was true. I'd rather work with an engineer who worked his way up than one fresh out of college with all the book learning he could afford.
    Unfortunately experience doesn't count for much anymore, they want a piece of paper.

15. draqon Banned Banned

moronic and irrational?

they don't give 200K for nothing

16. shorty_37 Go! Canada Go! Registered Senior Member

I know employers like to see a resume filled with degrees and certificates. Unfortunately there are ppl out there with many yrs of experience that could dance circles around these ppl.

17. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member

maybe corrupt is a better word

18. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

corrupt? No, its a different generation of HR managers and business owners. They went to college. Their parents worked for the American Dream, gave it to them, and they expect the people who work for them to be like them, not like Mom and Dad.

19. 33639856 Registered Member

how can you possibly say that a music degree is useles some of the richest people in the world have music degrees take andrew-loyd webber hes worth well over 800 million

20. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

..and some of the richest musicians never learnt music...

To me any degree is worthless that can be studied on your own. What holds you back from studying philosophy? You don't even have to go to the library anymore. Same with most 'dry" classes, where a teacher is not needed. They are not necessery worthless, but paying for them to get a degree is silly, if you just want to have the knowledge and don't want to teach or be employed as an expert.

21. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member

Amen to that. It is funny if not pathetic, our laws clearly say one thing. But in practice they often are the exact opposite.

22. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

A degree in Para*skyve*cology... sorry I mean Parapsychology has to be the most idiotic degree ever. Then again I tend to see the world as it is rather than float around dreaming about ghosts, gremlins, Ghouls, demons, witches, the boogeyman, the lochness monster, Yeti, bigfoot, aliens, corncircles etc.

23. CutsieMarie89 Zen Registered Senior Member

No you don't it sucked. Out of all my classmates that took it only two developed any interest in pursuing it after we graduated. It weird because its a language that is read only. So few speak it I think some of the value of the language has been lossed. It is very helpful if you don't understand any romantic languages because you can read those languages to a certain extent without knowing anything about the language. That's kind of cool.