List of worthless college degrees

Discussion in 'Science & Society' started by joepistole, Feb 5, 2008.

1. Enmos Valued Senior Member

I wish I had taken Latin.. it's awesome

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

There is a separate degree in Latin? I didn't know that because we don't have such in Latvia.
    We have Latin studies at the Latvian University, but it's a course within Classical philology, also within Theology and some time ago also in Law.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Enmos Valued Senior Member

No, I meant in highschool. I don't know whether there is a separate degree in it..

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

what jobs do you apply for if you have a degree in art?

8. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Artist of course..

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

9. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member

One day while walking to class on campus I happened to notice a pile of junk on the lawn. I thought that was quite unusual. Normally the campus was always well maintained. Later I noticed another pile of junk on the lawn. I was starting to think things were getting way to lax with campus administration. But I was wondering who would dump trash on the lawn. Come to find out, it belonged to the Art Department. It was a work of art and stupid me, thought it was trash!

10. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

you don't need a degree in art to be an artist. Just like you don't need a degree in music to be a musician.

So wouldn't the talent speak for itself? Why spend all the money on getting a degree?

11. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member

Hey, I can be an artist too. I generate a couple of bags a trash a week!

12. ashura the Old Right Registered Senior Member

Talent can be refined and enhanced in the process of getting a degree.

13. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

Art historian, art teacher, researcher, evaluating artwork, finding talent, working at an art gallery, museum, being an artist for private companies, local gov., etc.
    There are a plethora of things you can do!

14. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

But there are not a plethora of jobs.

15. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

I personally know a few artists. Talent usually is undirected and lacks skill without professional studies in art. Have been told that by artists themselves.

You can be a lot better artist if you have studied art, just as you can be a lot better musician, if you have studied music.

I personally know many bands members and you can always hear it if the person has had an education in music, usually it sounds so much better!

16. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

There are! And don't forger to count in all those who are self employed, who make jobs for themselves.

17. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

I don't think art is a high priority here in America. I bet more money is spent of sports than art. Its a shame.

18. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member

I would agree with you on a music degree. Music takes a lot of work to be successful. I have always been impressed with the music of Kansas, they seemed to have blended rock and roll with elements of classical music.

19. iceaura Valued Senior Member

If it's just money, a political science degree from Georgetown Universtiy had one of the highest average first year starting salaries for its graduates of any degree from anywhere, for several years. May still.

If money is the only ticker, any serious trade school can show you higher payoffs from one or two year ceritficates than almost any four year or more college degree. The income stream starts before the schooling is over, usually. My wife made 50k her first year out from a two year machinist program, while still an apprentice, with her schooling already paid for by night work obtained with the skills as acquired - contrast that with a 50k debt in the third year of an engineering degree from a good school, and a trade school breaks down to be 200k + advantage on day one. Hard to catch that.

Plumbing pays even better. Hydraulics.

An education degree is probably worthless in what it signifies. But a lack of schooling in education is a serious handicap for someone who wants to teach professionally - the world is full of technologically capable people who can't teach and don't know that. That's why you have to go to school to be an engineer - on the job you'd be taught by engineers, and experience has shown that to be not so productive.

Don't mistake low standards of performance for an easy job.

20. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member

I think there are some teachers who cannot teach too. I am just not convinced that a general education would not have served them better.

21. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

around here the best jobs are plumber, mechanic, electrician, and brick layer. And it amazes me how many girls I now see at the auto garage. With more electronics in cars, its not the same job anymore. Oh and nursing, there's a job i wish I had gotten into.

22. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Every consumer product in America has some work done by an artist or designer. I concentrated in Graphic Design/Photography, but I'm doing industrial design. There are plenty of jobs out there for artists.

23. shichimenshyo Caught in the machine Registered Senior Member

My major is Japanese/english.