Linux Mint: gwendal-lebihan PPA Closed

Discussion in 'Computer Science & Culture' started by Tiassa, Jun 12, 2014.

1. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

Linux Mint Note: gwendal-lebihan Closed

Once in a while, we find ourselves ahead of the curve. That is, I had noticed something was wrong when trying to install Mint on a new Dell Inspiron 15; nothing was like it was before, and the CLIT commands produced an unsatisfactory response.

And then I noticed my software updater wasn't tracking the package date.

The last time that happened it was a simple-enough solution; find the broken ppa link and pull it from the source list. Two plus two equals what happened to gwendal-lebihan? And the answer from Glebihan himself is that the PPA is closed; as of May 13, "Packages are temporarily still available, but it should be completely closed within a few weeks."

The practical result for me is that Mint Qiana won't cooperate with Ubuntu Trusty like the two flavors used to. Perhaps it's a Nemo/Nautilus thing, but my choices were to install a separate MQ partition or wipe UTT. I went with replacing Trusty Tahr.

And I'm certainly happy with the outcome, but as I went through the process, I noticed some users weren't yet up on the news, and still searching for the gwendal-lebihan ppa.

So, yes, that's the answer: It doesn't exist anymore. I'm told there is a French mirror still open, but in truth, Qiana seems to run solidly, so I'm considering actually upgrading the desktops in the house. I just loathe the frontside cleanup, tracking down all the data files that need to be migrated through a full-blown software transition.

But for those who might have missed the memo, that's what's going on with the gwendal-lebihan ppa.