Link between sea and land animals found

Discussion in 'Biology & Genetics' started by KennyJC, Apr 6, 2006.

1. blobrana Registered Senior Member

"Neil Shubin, a University of Chicago professor of biology and anatomy and internationally renowned palaeontologist, will deliver a free public lecture at the University of Utah on his discovery of a fossil that has been dubbed the "missing link" between fish and land animals.
    The fossil, Tiktaalik roseae, better known as the "fishapod," is a 375-million-year-old fish that was discovered in the Canadian Arctic in 2004 by Shubin and colleagues."

Read more

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Walter L. Wagner Cosmic Truth Seeker Valued Senior Member

I believe there is a lot more genetic information that has been developed showing that many of the genes that control fin development in fish are also present in limb development in land animals. I don't have the links at hand, and maybe someone can find them for us.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. synthesizer-patel Sweep the leg Johnny! Valued Senior Member

I read recently of an experiment using Bivalves from hydrothermal vents which derive all of their nutrition from symbiotic bacteria to clean up areas of industrial pollution high in metal sulfides - the resulting excess bacterial biomass was converted into synthetic fuels - this is just the type of elegant biology I like- if you want I'll try and dig out the paper for you.

If you are interested in plankton growth - look up Professor K J Flynn from swansea university on google scholar - he does a lot of work on plankton growth modelling and publishes pretty regularly in the Journal of Plankton Research- I find it all painfully dull personally though

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Walter L. Wagner Cosmic Truth Seeker Valued Senior Member

Sure, I'll look at the link and paper if you find it.

8. Reiku Banned Banned

Crocodile like? It look more like a Pike to me

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

9. blobrana Registered Senior Member

"New exquisitely preserved fossils from Latvia cast light on a key event in our own evolutionary history, when our ancestors left the water and ventured onto land. Swedish researchers Per Ahlberg and Henning Blom from Uppsala University have reconstructed parts of the animal and explain the transformation in the new issue of Nature."

Read more

10. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Awesome, thanks for sharing this

11. blobrana Registered Senior Member

12. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

This last photo shows the mummy of a mermaid from the Shinto sect headquartered in the city of Fujinomiya near the base of Mt. Fuji. It was 170 cm in height and is the oldest and largest mermaid mummy, with 1,400 years for its age. The mummy has webbed hands with sharp claws and a 20-cm long tail.

http://img.qj.net/uploads/articles_module/63436/mermaid_qjpreviewth.jpg