light propagates at c + v?

Discussion in 'Alternative Theories' started by BdS, Nov 21, 2015.

1. BdS Registered Senior Member

nice selfie

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. origin Heading towards oblivion Valued Senior Member

It doesn't.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

BdS, can you go over this one again?
    The Michelson Morley Experiment demonstrates succinctly that light's velocity is not dependent on the velocity of the source. That seems in direct contradiction to your claim that light is dependent of the velocity of the source.

Can you correct my misunderstanding?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. exchemist Valued Senior Member

It doesn't.

8. BdS Registered Senior Member

Hi

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michelson–Morley_experiment
    "It compared the speed of light in perpendicular directions, in an attempt to detect the relative motion of matter through the stationary luminiferous aether ("aether wind")."

a)

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

b1)----------------------------b2)

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

the experiment was conducted to detect a drift caused by the stationary aether, but its is my opinion that the only thing it did prove was that light travels at c + v.

Once the light is emitted and you say it only travels at c then in the time frame that it takes the light to travel the length of the experiment the earth has moved and the whole experiment with it. Light moving at only c traveling the 2 arms of the experiment on different axis's would cause a drift similar to shown in the animation b2) on the right side experiment. Note how the whole experiment is moving and the 2 photons arrive at different times and are out of phase, because the experiment is moving in the direction parallel with the blue photon, the blue photon has a longer path to travel in the stationary aether. The longer path causes the blue photon to arrive later than the red photon with a shorter path and that would have been the result expected if the stationary aether theory were correct. After the experiment was conducted the result was b1) the photons arrived in phase which proved there was no stationary aether that the photons paths were dependent on. But at the same time also proves that the photons are traveling at c + v. You see how b1 stays stationary? In reality it is not stationary at all because the motion of the earth. We know that b1 is the correct result and b2 is a classic example of how if photons only traveled at c the experiment outcome would be. You see how the red photon in b2 is moving at c + v and they havent given the blue photon the same privilege of the v. What we need is a combination of both those animations and unbiased against the blue photon to get to the c + v. We want the result of b1 with the motion of b2 and the blue photon to also get the v that the red photon has in b2 and we get a experiment in motion and the result of b1 with the photons traveling at c + v.

Well thats my take on it. Its my idea that I need to try and defend now against the scrutiny.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2016
  9. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

Right. So you agree MMX does not support your assertion.

10. BdS Registered Senior Member

11. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

OK. Your own two posts are in direct conflict. Which is what we've been saying all along.

12. BdS Registered Senior Member

Show the conflict so I got something to reply to...

13. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

The MMX experiment demonstrated that the speed light travels is independent of velocity of the source. You described it yourself in post 65. I quoted it in post 66.

14. BdS Registered Senior Member

Nope the MMX showed there was no stationary aether that lights travel path depended on.

15. origin Heading towards oblivion Valued Senior Member

Actually there is no way to prove that experiment is moving or stationary.

16. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

Without an absolute frame of reference, how do you determine what v is, in your c+v?

(As origin points out as well.)

17. BdS Registered Senior Member

EVERYTHING IS MOVING. Or do you think that the earth is the center of the universe?

18. BdS Registered Senior Member

I dont but I know its there at whatever velocity the earth is moving at.

19. origin Heading towards oblivion Valued Senior Member

Fine, prove you are moving.

20. origin Heading towards oblivion Valued Senior Member

OK, give me an experiment that will show that the earth is moving in an absolute sense.

21. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

Easy to say. What does it mean to your v? If your v is not defined, or undeterminable, then your hypothesis is in big trouble.

22. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

And what velocity is Earth moving at?

You don't account for the sun's motion and solar system motion. This implies that the Sun is at the stationary centre of the universe in your model.

23. BdS Registered Senior Member

hahaha, really? Ever heard of the calendar? day and night? etc...

This is the opening post of this thread!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galactic_year

“The Solar System is traveling at an average speed of 828,000 km/h (230 km/s)”

1 / 299792458m = 0.0000000033356 sec (time it takes light to travel 1 metre)
    230km * 1000 = 230000m (Solar System average speed around the galaxy in metres)
    230000m * 0.0000000033356 = 0.000767188m = 0.767188mm (distance Earth moved in orbit around the galaxy in the time it took light to travel 1 metre)

If light travels at only c and not c + v (where v is the velocity of the emitter) then we should measure a drift of 0.767188mm over a 1 metre distance and a 230km drift over 299792458m.

Take a mounted laser and shine it against the wall from a distance of 1 metre. Draw a dot on the wall where the laser light is and keep it on for a year. If light travels at only c then we should detect a drift of up to 0.767188mm from the dot we drew on the wall. The Earth is spinning and orbiting the sun so as it spins the drift will change direction depending on the direction we are facing relative to the galactic year orbit direction/speed of 230km/s. If the orbit speed is to our left we should detect a drift to the right of our dot and in 12 hours when the orbit speed is to our right the drift should be to the left of the dot.

If we don’t detect a drift then light travels at c + v