Light or Dark meat?

Discussion in 'Biology & Genetics' started by Beer w/Straw, Oct 5, 2016.

1. Beer w/Straw Transcendental Ignorance! Valued Senior Member

Or. vegetarian? I'm not one to shy away from meat-eaters. I'm eating chicken right now.

As far as I can speculate, dark meat is more than white meat in scale of things. Assuming that the muscle is used more often... If that is the case, why are say 'Beef Hearts' more prominent?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

Did you mean why aren't Beef Hearts more prominent?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Seattle Valued Senior Member

Do you mean why aren't organ meats found more often in restaurants and grocery stores?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Jeeves Valued Senior Member

More what?
    The most expensive chicken is skinlessbonelessbreast. Restaurants all advertise their fried nuggets or strips as pure breast-meat: it's the easiest to cut and handle, fastest to cook, least meat-like part. It's been hyped up as healthy because it has no fat (which is mostly in and under the skin, which has been taken off - at roughly $1 per pound; takes 30 seconds, the undocumented immigrant earns $1 for every 100 chickens he does it to, but young suburban women find it too icky, and the processor uses the skins in catfood, so it's all good.) Chickenbreast tastes like soft wood; needs a lot of sauce (with added oil, natch) and spices to taste as good as tofu done the same way, except the only thing you have to skin off tofu is the plastic wrap.

Beef heart is also quite expensive. It would be nutritious and tasty if cooked right, but it's tough and few people know what to do with it. Tongue is easier. They both smell and taste quite bloody. Once you've been vegetarian for a while, that can be seriously off-putting. The appearance - the obviousness of what it is - puts off the people who like to eat meat and don't like to know where it comes from.

8. Dinosaur Rational Skeptic Valued Senior Member

I prefer dark over white meat. I consider the heart even better, but do not like the liver & other organs.

9. timojin Valued Senior Member

Dark meat have more Myoglobin
    difference between hemoglobin and myoglobin
    While myoglobin can only hold one oxygen, the affinity for that oxygen is very high compared to hemoglobin. This is probably because hemoglobin, transporting 4 oxygens to the tissues and muscles where myoglobin is mostly present. The myoglobin takes the oxygen from the hemoglobin (due to the Bohr Effect) and takes that oxygen to muscle cells for use in metabolic processes.