life on Mars?

Discussion in 'Astronomy, Exobiology, & Cosmology' started by Jim S, Apr 15, 2012.

1. Jim S

Jim S Registered Senior Member

I was at a Motel this weekend and there was a TV playing in the lobby. I couldn't hear the sound, but there was a picture of some worm-like looking thing and it said something about "scientists 99% sure there is life on Mars". Did anyone else see this - what was that all about?
    Jim S.

2. Dinosaur

Dinosaur Rational Skeptic

Perhaps a SciFi program.

3. Boris2

Boris2 Registered Senior Member

4. Jim S

I found what they were talking about - some research was done at University of Cal. School of Medicine re-analizing data from the the Viking missions. They think the data shows living bacteria.

5. Robittybob1

Robittybob1 Banned

No the degree of organisation showed previous life, not so much as current life. :)

6. Jim S

No, they are talking about analyzing gas that was being given off - they seemed to be talking about the present tense (at least present during the Viking landing time).

7. Boris2

Boris2 Registered Senior Member

i think there is still quite a lot of disagreement between the two camps. we need another sample and a better testing regime to be more sure.

8. Jim S

The newest rover, Curiosity, will be arriving in August. Maybe it'll shed some more light on this. I suppose you can prove there is life, but you can't prove there isn't (or wasn't).

9. markl323

markl323 Registered Senior Member

10. Dinosaur

Dinosaur Rational Skeptic

MarkL323: On what do you base the following?
    there is a very good chance that life is all over the solar system. just a matter of time before we obtain some concrete proof.​
    The video at the link you posted has a lot of nice graphics & speculation, but no evidence.

Life on Mars some time in the distant past seems possible, but I think the probability is very low. Life elsewhere in the Solar System seems even more unlikely.