Life on Earth had begun 300 million years earlier than previously thought

Discussion in 'Earth Science' started by Plazma Inferno!, Feb 4, 2016.

1. Plazma Inferno! Ding Ding Ding Ding Administrator

New research shows that 4.1 billion-year-old zircon crystal found in Western Australia contains biologically-produced carbon, suggesting that life on Earth had begun approximately 300 million years earlier than previously thought.

Paper: http://www.pnas.org/content/112/47/14518.full.pdf

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Daecon Kiwi fruit Valued Senior Member

I wonder if people may use this as evidence in support of the panspermia hypothesis?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. exchemist Valued Senior Member

I could not open the link. Can you check and repost, or is there a title I can search for? I'm intrigued to know how they identify biologically produced carbon. I can't imagine C14 is any good at such great ages.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Write4U Valued Senior Member

I did a little editing of the addy and came up with this:
    http://www.pnas.org/content/112/47

I did not look for the article, but it seems a good place to start.

8. Write4U Valued Senior Member

9. exchemist Valued Senior Member

I tried again and got through this time.

What they have done is find a graphite inclusion in crack-free zircons. They have analysed the 12C/13C ratio of this graphite. 13C is a stable isotope of carbon, like 12C but unlike 14C. Apparently, the biochemistry by which carbon is fixed from the atmosphere preferentially selects 12C, rather than 13C. So specimens of carbon with less 13C than mineral sources of carbon can be presumed (they say) to be of biological origin.

The zircons involved have previously been dated, apparently using U/Pb ratio measurement; at least, that is what is mentioned in reference (6) in the paper, which the authors seem be relying on to date the zircon.

So it does indeed have nothing to do with carbon 14. The age dating has been done by U/Pb ratios of the zircon matrix, and the C12/13 ratio has been used to determine that the graphite is likely to be of biological origin.

Interesting. For me, the most intriguing thing is that carbon fixation is isotopically selective. I had no idea this was so. I'll have to look into this, to find out how it arises - unless another reader can shed light on it for me.....

Last edited: Feb 4, 2016
  10. exchemist Valued Senior Member

Well, this is as far as I have got on this, on my own. It seems, according to this:
    http://www.oxfordreference.com/view/10.1093/oi/authority.20110803100013377

that:

a) 13C diffuses more slowly than 12C, as one might expect due to its greater atomic weight and hence lower mean speed of the molecules. (From kinetic theory, we have the relation v(rms) = √(3kT/m) where m is mass of the molecule) ; and

b) an enzyme called "rubisco"(an acronym, not sure what it stands for) has a preference for 12C. However I have not so far found an explanation for why this is. Any offers?

11. Plazma Inferno! Ding Ding Ding Ding Administrator

It's a link to PDF document. I've no problem opening it in Chrome and Firefox.
    Here's the title:
    Potentially biogenic carbon preserved in a4.1 billion-year-old zircon
    Elizabeth A. Bell, Patrick Boehnke, T. Mark Harrison, and Wendy L. Mao

12. exchemist Valued Senior Member

Thanks. I found when I tried your link again later yesterday that I could get through after all - hence my further comments above.

Sorry for any inconvenience.

Plazma Inferno! likes this.