Life is suffering = Shit happens ???

Discussion in 'Eastern Philosophy' started by Bend_It_Like-ME, Jun 7, 2003.

1. Bend_It_Like-ME Registered Member

Life is suffering = Shit happens ???

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. firingseeds Registered Senior Member

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. yesemina Registered Senior Member

Haha...that's right ;D

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Voltaire Registered Senior Member

one produces one's own shit. it's all about cause and effect and the lessons you need to learn from one's shitty life.

8. sargentlard Save the whales motherfucker Valued Senior Member

Now sociology would have you thinking different. As much as i was hesitent to accept that fact, on many levels it is true. There are some causes that one can not avoid in life effecting their social status. There are some things that are "shitty" that one can't help but endure, but that does not equate to you must keep suffering entirely, Hell the whole entire notion of Living the American dream isbased on that. Ofcourse many are willing to step outside of the law and make things worse for themselves.

But then again better and worse is a subjective term and differs from person to person.

9. Voltaire Registered Senior Member

ha ha...
    i was talking about karma. if you study about karma, then you will realize that everything that is or has been happening to you are effects of your past actions. beside if we don't have bad times then how will we enjoy the good times.

10. TheEnd Registered Member

Zen Buddhists often try to disassociate with the diea that bad actions=bad karma. While that may be the case frequently, the idea to be undestood is causality, that all things are dependant on other things for existance....

11. invisibleone Registered Senior Member

life is suffering, shit happens, and our individual lives are rather meaningless. do you realize the absurdity of it all now? this where the laughter and joy should begin. . .

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

12. kajolishot Registered Senior Member

The common misconception of Existentialism.

Yes, it is true life is suffering.
    Yes it is true you are just one person amongst the billions others.
    But everything you do does matter.

The current "helpless" moment is going to determine the course of the rest of your life.
    It's a cop-out to give up and say things are out of conrol.

13. DeSeRt RaT UK Registered Senior Member

And what of people who are suffering from the day of birth? Like the millions starving in third world countries.

14. TheERK Registered Senior Member

He can't give you a decent answer to that question, so he'll probably bring up some stuff about 'past lives'.

It's pretty sick and disgusting. How can you look at a suffering baby and pass it off as a past-life-karma haunt? People go to such absurd lengths to deal with the problem of evil that they forget to actually do something about it.

15. Voltaire Registered Senior Member

I am not a guy and I can't affirm that what I say is true. neither do you, how can YOU explain why some people suffer and other don't? it's a hard question and that is why we post to share info and form our own conclusions. besides, everyone suffers in one way or another so it is not alien to "some people".

16. storni topological frog Registered Senior Member

be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle...

-someone wise

17. sargentlard Save the whales motherfucker Valued Senior Member

Pffftttt...The Hilton sisters haven't worked a day in their lives and they stand to inherit 150 million each....their battle has been relatively easy.

18. Voltaire Registered Senior Member

money is nice but it isn't everything and I bet that even a little kid in Africa is as happy or happier than any rich man. The Hilton sisters have it hard. When you are rich you do not know who to trust and you wonder if the friendships you have are truly real. And sometimes you are utterly alone.

19. storni topological frog Registered Senior Member

People suffer in different ways, and erm sometimes money does not buy "happiness" whatever that is, (as opposite to suffering say.)

20. Watcher Just another old creaker Registered Senior Member

Reply to storni

Well, maybe.

Can't forget that birth and death is the great equalizer. Everyone will get their opportunity to ponder that mystery, whether it is for 10 minutes in the wreck of a flaming car on the freeway or whether being kept alive and mindless for 10 years in a nursing home.

But as far as determining whether someone is fighting a hard battle? Not so easy. I read somewhere recently that the happiest people on the planet (their own judgement, according to a survey) were among the poorest on the planet.

21. what if you're instantly vaporized by a large, unexpected explosion? not much time to think then

:m: peace :m:

22. Asmara Registered Member

Originally posted by storni

be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle...

-someone wise

Bears repeating...

Edit: By the way, is the quote from Plato?

Last edited: Nov 2, 2003
  23. Voltaire Registered Senior Member

People complicate themselves thinking life is a battle when it is really only a huge learning experience. No one is out to get you or hurt you- make you miserable.. If you were born poor, there is probably a reason. Maybe you were sent to experience the pain and generate even more compassion towards the people that are even worse than you. or maybe having this life is going to teach you to see happiness in the simple things.

-Voltaire