Life in Russia vs Soviet Union...

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Seattle, Nov 3, 2019.

1. Seattle Valued Senior Member

There is a guy on YouTube who used to live in the Soviet Union and now lives in Michigan. His videos are interesting (not political) and he just recounts stories from his childhood and answers questions that people have asked him via his YouTube channel.

I'll post a link to one of his videos at the end (just a random one) in case you are interested.

His most frequent question is "Is life better now in Russia or was life better in the USSR?". He says that if you are poor that maybe life was better then. Now you have more variety (of goods) but less money by some comparisons and more by others. He prefers now and he prefers living in Michigan as well but it's an interesting channel.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Xelasnave.1947 Valued Senior Member

Who knows... clearly in US there are folk who say it's a great country but don't mention education or health...in USSR we are told that was part of the deal.
    I am a mug but I think the bottom strata gets f..d. by those in control.

Will we hear from you who are getting f
    ..d ..... I better or worse I doubt it. A good public service is the only way to make it good for everyone.. guarantees full employment...the only test of any culture...if you have unemployed you have failed...it means community has been put below the good of the human group... A thing less than supporting the group which is Humanity is wrong.

Alex

Last edited: Nov 3, 2019
  4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Seattle Valued Senior Member

Neither the YouTube guy nor I are saying that life in Russia is great nor was that even the point.

Don't let me stop any rant you might feel coming on though.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. sideshowbob Sorry, wrong number. Valued Senior Member

I've always said that Russians are Russians, whether Tsarist or Soviet or post-Soviet. The specific political-economic system is just a veneer.