Less sex please, we're geeks!

Discussion in 'Science & Society' started by S.A.M., Aug 2, 2007.

1. Oli Heute der Enteteich... Registered Senior Member

Or not mess you up.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Plus the bits I mentioned above.

Does boredom foster awkwardness?
    Or just a general disinterest in going through the meaningless, ritualised, socially-accepted motions?
    Although that could come across as awkwardness.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. nietzschefan Thread Killer Valued Senior Member

Ahh bullshit, i'm doing it right now!

It's kinda the same as the real thing. Instead of hearing "I think I can I think I can" in your ear, it should be hitting your pituitary receptor right about....NOW.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. shorty_37 Go! Canada Go! Registered Senior Member

OMGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGgggggggggg
    yesss yesssssssssssssssssssss LOLOL

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Oli Heute der Enteteich... Registered Senior Member

Takes the time?
    If they really are that much smarter than me it should become apparent from their intellectual range and depth.
    If they were really smart (re Xev's comments above) then they wouldn't be that interested in taking time showing me, I'd be pushed to keep up.

8. John J. Bannan Registered Senior Member

So, the mind fuck doesn't have to come from someone much smarter than you? How is it possible that someone could expand your understanding of yourself, and yet not be smarter than you?

9. nietzschefan Thread Killer Valued Senior Member

holy shit you really do have no clue...

He means you verbally masterbate the other person's mind using a combined arms assault of innuendo, fantasy, head games, or romantic bullshit.

10. Oli Heute der Enteteich... Registered Senior Member

Yes, they do have to be smarter, or as smart: which is why I said they're few and far between.
    How can a relative dummy engage me completely on an intellectual level?
    Why would intellectuals bother with "dumb" women just in the interests of a quick lay?

11. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

Darkie, this thread is about YOU! You are clearly a geek, I've seen your erudite posts on the Computers subforum. Part of the essence of a geek is to be advanced intellectually but stunted emotionally and socially, and that is a very accurate seven-word definition of YOU. (Yeah, I know, a "geek" was originally a guy who bites the heads off of chickens as entertainment at fairs because he has no shame, no friends, and no other opportunities for employment. I'll leave it as a possibly insightful exercise to understand how it evolved into today's meaning. Your self-defaming posts are kind of entertaining, aren't they?) You haven't got the college degree that we expect a geek to have, but it's just because you leveled out emotionally a few years before most of them and are still content with the sheltered, risk-free, often celibate life of a middle-schooler. As soon as you get tired of your life and make a conscious decision to start letting your highly developed brain guide you instead of your underdeveloped feelings, you will find a girlfriend just like we all did eventually. It's entirely up to you how old you want to be when that finally happens. Stop complaining about it to us and go look in your frelling mirror.
    Sex is an instinct that is processed in our primitive midbrain. Our uniquely massive human forebrains give us the ability to override our instincts. As I've expounded in several other threads, this is how we transcended our pack-social instinct to live in small extended families and were able to cooperate with complete strangers to build and maintain civilization. Still, the pack-social instinct of a gorilla or chimpanzee thwarts our forebrain's dream of building civilization so there was a reason to transcend it with reasoned and learned behavior. The sex instinct does not carry such a disadvantage to the survival of our vastly-expanded pack. In fact, reproduction is still necessary to its survival. As a result, I doubt that very many humans, geeks or not, fall at the extreme end of the Bell Curve and give up sex because it gets in the way of their loftier pursuits. I went to Caltech, where the average IQ was trans-Mensa. The word "geek" still had its carnival meaning but we were "eggheads" and a bunch of other unflattering terms. Nonetheless plenty of the guys were rutting like crazed weasels and almost all of them were actively interested in at least rutting like demure weasels. The guys with cars had waiting lists for the occasional weekend cultural tours of Tijuana.
    Yeah but that's just the horny teenager in you talking--regardless of how old you are chronologically. (As mentioned, geeks tend toward a very slow emotional maturation. We're just way to smart to get "trapped in the games" of adolescence that are the very engines of the maturation process.) As you mature you'll find that there are other traits to be attracted to besides either looks or brains. Honesty, sense of humor, self-respect. People of average intelligence make perfectly fine companions. Nobody (well nobody but adolescents) wants to talk about their field of expertise all the time, where we really do leave ordinary people in the dust. When we get into topics in which we're not experts, the less pronounced difference between our cognition and theirs is simply not a deal breaker. They have ideas and insights too. Average is not the same as stupid.
    Part of this is just cultural. Smart guys also don't get average girls because smart guys are currently out of fashion--depending on how they deploy that intelligence. Lawyers are quite popular. But science is out of vogue in America during this current era of infatuation with redneck fundamentalism. It was not always thus. During the space race with the Russians, science and math students were heroes. I was in high school when Sputnik went up, and almost overnight the jocks and pachucos started treating us with respect, and we got lots of dates. Thank you. I think it's an illustrative observation of this crowd of brainiacs that they got this far into a conversation before anybody said, "Hey, are we sure we're using this word correctly?" The term "mid fuck" has been in use for at least twenty years, longer than some of you have been alive.

12. Oli Heute der Enteteich... Registered Senior Member

No no no.
    That's nearly as good.
    But the conversation doesn't have to be about sex.
    That's a different thing altogether (and also fairly rare, unfortunately).

13. shorty_37 Go! Canada Go! Registered Senior Member

what???????? thats all bullshit?????:bawl:

14. John J. Bannan Registered Senior Member

Correct me if I'm wrong, but what you refer to as mind fuck is not what Nietzschefan is referring to as mind fuck?

15. John J. Bannan Registered Senior Member

Intellectuals would bother with dumb women, because your intellect and your instinct can still co-operate and both get what they want.

16. Oli Heute der Enteteich... Registered Senior Member

You're not wrong:
    Nietzsche is talking about what I consider foreplay (or in some cases even... nah, I won't go into that

).
    What I refer to as a mindfuck does not involve talking about sex at all: it's about total engagement of the mind.
    Someone who can see (to expand on Xev's words) your castles of the mind, live in them and then take you to their own, and show you there's different ways of building them.
    Like I said, if you have to ask, you'll never know.
    Describe "blue" to a blind man... :shrug:

Like Fraggle said: we over-ride our instincts.
    And why the heck would I want a dumb woman?
    As I keep telling friends when they ask why I've turned down another opportunity - "what are we going to talk about while she recovers?"

[Edit]
    Why?
    Where's the fun in that?
    Half of the fun is the chase, the anticipation.
    If they're dumb (relatively speaking) than what chance do they have?
    It'd be like shooting fish in a barrel.
    No competition involved, no give and take banter, no build up...
    Dull, boring, waste of time.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2007
  17. shorty_37 Go! Canada Go! Registered Senior Member

recovers from what head trauma from the head fuking lmao

18. John J. Bannan Registered Senior Member

O.K. Talking about castles in your mind sounds like drug talk. Jimmy Hendrix might know what you're talking about (if anything), but I don't. Sounds of little practical use if you can't adequately describe it. True, I can't describe blue to a blind man, but then again, I couldn't describe floating pink pigs to a blind man either.

19. Oli Heute der Enteteich... Registered Senior Member

Don't do drugs, never have, so I wouldn't know.
    I don't NEED them.
    My mind is there for me.

So a physical orgasm is of little practical use, since I doubt you could describe it adequately to a virgin...
    You see the problem?

Exactly - perceptual differences: I can see where you're coming from, you can't follow me at all.

20. shorty_37 Go! Canada Go! Registered Senior Member

lolol I think you 2 are starting to take the fun of
    real fuking!

21. John J. Bannan Registered Senior Member

O.K. So the mind fuck does not involve drugs. Does it involve emotion?

22. Oli Heute der Enteteich... Registered Senior Member

That's the point I'm trying to make: most people don't REALLY do it.
    They just put up with the physical side of it.

Heart, mind, body and soul... that's real.

(If you're lucky).

23. Oli Heute der Enteteich... Registered Senior Member

Nice question:
    Yup, because if I'm not intellectually involved then I'm rarely emotionally involved.
    Mostly a mutual respect and everything builds on that.