Leopolds Evolution Diversion

Discussion in 'General Science & Technology' started by leopold, May 26, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wellwisher Banned Banned

I noticed you did not address the water question. Evolution stands because of threats, not science.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Yazata Valued Senior Member

Isn't snipping out a bunch of heated posts where people are merely expressing their anger and hurling insults back and forth, then trying to turn it into a new flame thread, almost the dictionary definition of 'trolling'?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. rpenner Fully Wired Valued Senior Member

No. It's an attempt to make Leopold communicate clearly.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Yazata Valued Senior Member

Ayala might have been misquoted. Or perhaps he misspoke or something. Evolutionary biologists have an annoying habit of speaking in hyperbole among themselves at their conferences, then having to 'walk it back' so to speak, when opponents gleefully start quoting them. That's happened repeatedly.

But the thing is, even if Ayala was wrong, even if he was misquoted and never said what he supposedly said, it's still possible to question parts of whatever current evolutionary orthodoxy is without necessarily being a 'creationist', or even having any religious motivation at all.

Over the last several years, I've criticized various assertions that atheists have made down on the religion forum. And occasionally other people (including moderators) have ranted at me about what's in "your bible" and similar drivel. Despite the fact that I'm not a Christian and was just pointing out a bad atheist argument.

It's stupid, but this is Sciforums. If you let those things make you mad, you'll always be angry here. It's better to just smile and recognize it as evidence that your opponents are easy.

8. origin Heading towards oblivion Valued Senior Member

Sorry, I will address the water question:

Water has nothing to do with evolution, other than the trivial fact that water is necessary for life.

That is laughable. Evolution is a fact, the exact mechanism is the theory.

9. Trippy ALEA IACTA EST Staff Member

No, as rpenner pointed out, the aim of this thread is to get to the bottom of this and get leopold to communicate clearly. This 'thing' regarding the PM's has been an issue for a while now and this isn't the first time it's come up, i'm fairly sure it's not even the first time it's come up in the thread this was split from. As I said in my moderator note, I expect discourse to remain civil and will treat uncivil discourse accordingly.

I'm not trying to start a flamewar here and if one spontaneously ignites there will be bans handed out.

10. Trippy ALEA IACTA EST Staff Member

Ayala is on the record as explicitly stating he was misquoted or quoted out of context, and that Lewin got it wrong EG: here.
    Leopold is of the opinion that if it's not a full retraction published in science it doesn't count.
    Leopold is also of the opinion that Ayala 'most probably' said what he said because he was coerced into doing so.

The difference here is that Leopolds argument - at least in the case of Ayala, demonstrably originate from creationist websites. He gets accused of being a creationist because he presents bad creationist arguments.

Also, allegedly, there is something in the PM exchange in question between himself and paddoboy.

11. leopold Valued Senior Member

yes, this alleged "retraction" appears on personal websites all across the web and it is sourced from "no answers in genesis", NOT FROM "science".
    "science has made no retractions nor printed any errata regarding this matter.
    how much clearer do you want it?
    even disregarding ayalas remark, the rest of the quotes throws the fossil record into question.
    wrong.
    "science" is apparently standing behind what it published.
    wrong again.
    ayala based his quote on the evidence presented by paleontologists.
    wrong for the third time.
    ayalas quote came from "science". hardly a creationist rag.

12. Trippy ALEA IACTA EST Staff Member

Leopold.
    I'm going to give you the opportunity to go back, re-read my post, and read the posts I linked to before I reply.

13. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

Thank you....

The first message was received on 3rd April 0849hrs......

your thread
    re: http://www.sciforums.com/showthread....21#post3178121

about 10:
    one of the primary reasons that i'm a "god supporter" is because evolution IS NOT the cut and dried fact that most would like to believe.

i'm not saying evolution is outright false but i AM saying very little is actually known to be true about it.
    the only REAL evidence is the ability of species to become different species.
    you know, birds with bigger beaks and such.

comments?

The second message :
    """
    """""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""
    ME:
    Evolution is far more evidenced then you give it credit for.
    """"""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""
    where?
    the fossil record does not support "small accumulating changes"
    abiogenesis has NOT been proven.
    nothing in nature explains the human conscience.

like i said, where is this evidence?

The third message:

do you think my PM to you was a joke?
    what do you have to say about them?
    if you think about it, you'll reach the same conclusion i have:
    science knows next to nothing about evolution and how life got to be here.

The fourth message:
    """"""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""
    ME:
    Originally Posted by paddoboy
    leopold...
    I'm not really interested in discussing religion off line.
    """"""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""
    this has NOTHING to do with religion dude, it's cold hard facts published in a respected journal.
    i've been banned for presenting this evidence twice, it's the reason i haven't mentioned it in the thread.
    i can direct you to the source if you wish.
    be warned, posting this source can get you moderated.

""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""
    ME:
    I've given you my point of view.
    """"""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""
    "points of views" is another term for opinion.
    appeal to authority is a logical fallacy you know.

""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""
    ME:
    There is plenty of evidence for evolution."

""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""
    yes, you are led to believe that.

""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""
    ME:
    Why do you think the Catholic church does not find a problem with it now.
    """"""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""

i don't give a rats ass what the pope thinks.

And that's about it. I ceased answering anymore of his messages and from that point they stopped.

The small extracts from my replies [as reproduced in leopolds messages] generally reflect my desire not to continue this off line.

14. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

Please note carefully in leopold's first message to me....
    " one of the primary reasons that i'm a "god supporter" is because evolution IS NOT the cut and dried fact that most would like to believe."

15. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

A provocative statement like this indicates that he intends to provide an alternative that is "cut and dried fact," or at least more cut and dried than evolution.

Instead, he jumps in with religious claptrap about "god," which:
    • 1. has absolutely zero evidence and . . . .
    • 2. contradicts the premise that underlies the entire scientific method: that the natural universe is a closed system whose behavior can be predicted by theories derived from empirical observation of its past and present behavior (the scientific method has been tested aggressively for 500 years and has never come close to being disproven) . . .
    • 3. by postulating an invisible, illogical supernatural universe from which fantastic creatures and other incredible phenomena emerge at random intervals for (apparently) the sole purpose of fucking up the behavior of the natural universe . . . .
    • 4. An assertion for which no evidence has been found in half a millennium of intensive attempts. The best that has been offered is a tortilla, out of millions fried every year, with a scorch mark that is said to be the likeness of a figure in the Bible, of which no portraits exist against which to compare it.
    Leopold is no scientist and no scholar, and his grasp on the principle of logic is tenuous. When you tell someone that his assertion is weak, you're supposed to present one that is stronger, not one that was formulated by superstitious people in the Bronze Age.

Agreed, but no one expects it to. The natural forces that organic material endures after the death of an organism are incredibly powerful, including water, air, scavengers and microorganisms, and those are just the ones that will affect it while it is still aboveground. The forces it will undergo once it is buried are so powerful that, for example, dead trees were turned into petroleum! (Btw, this will never happen again, now that mushrooms have evolved, which have the enzyme lignase, which digests wood. There ain't never gonna be no more petroleum, so we might consider being a little more parsimonious with it.)

If I may be forgiven for using the vocabulary of the religious, it is a miracle that any fossils are found at all!

However, Leopold (once again demonstrating his poor grasp of science) ignores the fact that evolution is arguably the most solid theory in the entire canon of science because it is supported by two independent sciences: paleontology and genetics.

If he were an actual scholar he would know that the small accumulating changes he expects occur in bacteria, whose generations are so frequent that we can observe entire evolutionary lines play out within a single year in the laboratory. But he's not a scholar so of course he doesn't know this.

But we're whittling away at it. Meanwhile, divine creation remains completely unexplained. Especially when seventeen hands go up in the classroom, with the question, "By the way, where did the fucking God come from?"

There was an article in today's Washington Post documenting research demonstrating the fact that even dogs have morality.

In both humans and dogs (and in fact in all social species), individuals must have an instinct for morality, or the pack/herd/flock will not survive and the species will become extinct.

I guess Leopold doesn't have a dog. Mine reminds me of his instinctive morality several times a day. In fact he's better at it than most humans.

16. leopold Valued Senior Member

the PM i sent origin is not the same one i sent paddoboy.
    i told paddoboy via PM i had the evidence i sent origin and that if he (paddoboy) was interested i would send it to him.
    paddoboy refused to be sent the PM and told me he didn't want to discuss religion with me.
    in short, he labeled my evidence as creationist without even seeing it.
    how narrow minded is that?

17. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

I suggest you go back to the start of this thread rightly and properly diverted from the "Alternative Theory" thread, approach it from a position of impartiality, and then come back and tell me who is abusing, threatening and flaming.
    I have also posted the messages he sent me, which shows the forum just where he is coming from.
    If anything, I deserve an apology, but I don't really care one way or the other...It's not that important to me.
    This is a science forum, and although primarily for the discussion of mainstream science, it naturally attracts the God Botherers, pseudo quacks, and their closet supporters as a means to push their crap.
    In the greater scheme of things, it affects nothing. The scientific methodology and peer review continues on regardless. They affect no one. :shrug:

18. leopold Valued Senior Member

first of all, i find it really strange that this "major proponent" allegedly gets misquoted and decides to bitch and moan to an author of a personal website instead of the journal that was supposedly responsible for it.
    second, even without the ayala quote, the rest of the PM throws serious doubt on what people are led to believe.
    we DO NOT have all these pretty and nice transitional fossils everyone raves about.
    if the truth was known, we probably have LESS than a laughable amount.
    i don't care about religion, god, the pope, jesus, or whatever else of that nature.
    i seriously doubt an intelligence without substance, the concept is as ludicrous as "things becoming alive".
    not to mention narrow minded.

19. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

No complaint on my part, except being called a liar by leopold and his unsolicited messages to me to sway me to his way of thinking.

I am amazed though as to the extent some people will go to to try and tear down established scientific fact, with pedant, twisting of words, misinterpretations, taking quotes out of context, and oh yeah, down right lying.

20. GeoffP Caput gerat lupinum Valued Senior Member

It's hard to believe there's much traction for the falsification or diversion of evolutionary theory to be found in an SF PM.

21. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

Oh the irony of it all!!!

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

I suppose one thing I can be 100% sure of..leopold wont be messaging me anymore!

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

22. leopold Valued Senior Member

this?
    this is what you have to say about the PM i sent origin?
    remember, this is a respected journal we are talking about and it didn't get that way by dealing in "pedantry".
    a link to the entire issue ( but NOT sourced from jstor) is posted somewhere, probably in the referenced thread.
    read it before you accuse me of taking things out of context.

23. leopold Valued Senior Member

yup, i said it.
    bad choice of words on my part and i have no intentions of providing any kind of alternative for evolution.

• like i said, it was a bad choice of words, and it appears now that your entire post will be based on that.
      so . . .

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.