Lenses

Discussion in 'General Science & Technology' started by Orleander, Aug 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

I just read that a lens can be made from paraffin wax. How is that possible?

And was the first lens used to improve vision or for setting things on fire?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

The ancestry of eyeglasses dates back to 4 BC, when people utilized water to magnify items for clearer viewing. The modern framed eyeglasses were known to exist as early as 1285, then referred to as "spectacles". By definition, eyeglasses are devices used to correct impaired vision, be it farsighted or nearsighted. Today, eyeglasses are prescribed lenses fitted on a frame to that rest on the bridge of your nose.

wiki

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

I suppose if you're a master of waxmaking you can clarify it. Many substances pass through more than one state of molecular orientation on their way from liquid to solid, e.g., chocolate. If you can control the formation of the wax crystals you may be able to get them to line up coherently.
    As Coz noted, the answer is E. None of the above. Apparently it was for magnification.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

wouldn't magnification be the vision part? Why make something bigger unless you want to see it better?

8. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

Well okay. I guess I assumed you meant correcting for a vision problem, rather than improving over natural vision.

9. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

Was the first lens a glass container of water or a chunk of clear rock like quartz?

10. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

The Greeks were the first compulsive record-keepers who kept detailed accounts of life's minutiae. So the first written record of a lens is only from 400BCE, when glass technology was well established. The oldest actual archeological artifact is a glass lens from Assyria around 1000BCE. Glass itself goes back to 3000BCE so there's no telling how many early glass artifacts are simply lost, especially small ones like lenses.

But a glass of water? That was a later application of glass technology. Beads came first, much earlier. So without empirical evidence, based strictly on reasoning, I'd guess that the first lens was an odd-shaped bead in the Bronze Age, not a delicate glass drinking cup with water in it in the Iron Age.

As for quartz, I've never seen a piece of quartz or any other natural material clear enough to even theorize about looking through. Have you?

Obsidian is natural glass and Stone Age people learned to work obsidian. But obsidian is not transparent.

11. MetaKron Registered Senior Member

Some quartz is quite transparent. I have seen a few very good transparent pieces. It can be and has been cut to make lenses, crystal balls, small transparent windows for various uses, and watch crystals. Another term for clear quarts is "rock crystal." The Wikipedia entry for "crystal ball" has a picture of the world's largest flawless crystal ball, weighing 106.75 pounds and measuring 12.9 inches in diameter. Smaller natural crystal balls are still not hard to find. This is just to mention what can be cut from natural rock without melting and reforming. A crystal ball is a sort of lens.

Beryl was an old favorite for crystal balls. Sapphire has seen use in windows for furnaces. Emeralds are fairly transparent and do come in colorless varieties. They are a variety of beryl, actually.

There is also calcite which is transparent but is useless for lenses because it has double refraction.

Fluorite is in use for high-end lenses.

The first lenses may have been as likely to have been made from quartz because it could have been easier to find transparent quartz than transparent man made glass.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2008
  12. MetaKron Registered Senior Member

I looked it up on Google and it seems to be a lens for focusing microwaves, not light. I guess that the wax is able to refract microwaves. It's just the density of the material.

13. synthesizer-patel Sweep the leg Johnny! Valued Senior Member

I remember in basic microscopy classes we used to put little drops of oil on the end of the objective lens to improve resolution for really tiny stuff - could it be something like that?

14. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

thanks MetaKron. I was wondering. So its teh density that is needed, not the clarity?

15. MetaKron Registered Senior Member

To microwaves paraffin wax IS clear. It's the density that is needed, a material with a homogenous density that can be formed into shapes. I would think that they would be able to do this with plastics and glass also.

16. kevinalm Registered Senior Member

Actually, it's not the density so much as the relative permitivity and permeability of the material. (Essentially how the material reacts to electric and magnetic fields for those who haven't studied Maxwells equations.)

17. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

so it could be any kind of wax?

18. Oli Heute der Enteteich... Registered Senior Member

AFAIK it could be, providing as kevinalm says, it's got the permitivity etc.
    And equally AFAIK the only wax that has is... tadaaa paraffin wax.
    But always struck me as weird using wax to focus microwaves - you'd think it would just melt

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

19. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

wow, why doesn't it? Wrong kind of microwaves?

20. Enmos Valued Senior Member

The molecules are probably too large to get excited by the unfocused microwaves ?
    Microwaves in microwave ovens only excite water molecules.

21. Oli Heute der Enteteich... Registered Senior Member

22. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

so if I put a rock in my microwave, it won't get hot?

23. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Unless it has water in it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.