Length Contraction in the Muon Experiment

Discussion in 'Physics & Math' started by Aer, Jul 26, 2005.

1. superluminal I am MalcomR Valued Senior Member

AE used the example of a circle in a hypothetical two dimensional universe. If this universe was an infinite flat plane then any circle measured on it would have the ratio of its circumference/diameter equal to pi no matter how large. If the 2D universe was some other shape, then this would not hold. However, if the region measured was so small compared to the curvature of this universe then the inhabitants might well conclude they were in a "flat" universe.

Likewise, if one measures a sphere in our universe, the ratio of circumference/diameter in all three dimensions may always be pi on small scales. However, if you make the sphere big enough you may find that this isn't so.

Or something like that.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Aer Registered Senior Member

James, the first part of my post was me just thinking with my keyboard. Nevertheless, the final conclusion was, all objects must go through an acceleration phase to be in a different frame of reference than the initial frame of reference from whence the universe exploded (big bang) (I wonder if there really was a noise if no one heard it

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

).

Anyway, I'll comment on your last two statements:
    Yes, but this "curvature" is an approximation just like the "resistance" is an approximation for an electron going through a resistor on a circuit. If the electron was lucky enough to follow the path of least resistance, well... you know.

Again, it goes back to your approximation assumption. Each path a photon takes through the universe will encounter different levels of curvature just like each path an electron takes through a resistor will encounter different levels of resistance.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Aer Registered Senior Member

Are you saying spacetime is flattened by expansion? This doesn't seem like an unreasonable statement, but is it true? How does one factor in this effect?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Aer Registered Senior Member

Assuming your "big enough" sphere came into the vicinity of some portion of spacetime with curvature, yes.

8. funkstar ratsknuf Valued Senior Member

Not really.

I should have said rate of expansion. Mass curves spacetime one way by decreasing this rate, something ("dark energy") curves spacetime the other way by increasing it.

Damn, I'm not much good at explaining it, at this hour. Try Wikipedia, especially the bit about the Friedmann equations.

9. Aer Registered Senior Member

I think "rate of expansion" is inherent in the concept of "expansion" whether the rate is constant or increasing. Are you saying the variation in rate changes the curvature? I'll check the link out after asking questions

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

10. Aer Registered Senior Member

OK, after a quick glance

here

and

here

I decided I am not in the mood to read anything right now. Explain conceptually without referencing authority. I really hate referencing authority.

11. funkstar ratsknuf Valued Senior Member

Well, mass slows down the expansion of the universe, dark energy increases it. If there's too much mass, the expansion will slow down, reverse, and the universe will collapse. This is called a "closed" or "Big Crunch" universe. If there's too little mass, dark energy gets the upper hand, the expansion will accelerate forever, eventually to the point were spacetime is expanding do fast that even subatomic particles are ripped apart. This is called an "open" or "Big Rip" universe. The third possibility is on the edge of these two. If there's just the right mass, the expansion will slow down, but not quite halt except in the limit. This makes the scale factor of the observable universe finite, meaning that we will suffer "heat death" with the entire universe a homogenous (very thin) particle soup of uniform temperature, when entropy is maximal. This is called a "flat" universe.

These three universe models correspond to spacetimes with positive, negative, and zero curvature.

12. Aer Registered Senior Member

Thats all very nice and well... but "dark energy" has no known properties. It is just an invented idea to explain the expanding universe.

I'll be back to read the rest of your post.

13. Aer Registered Senior Member

OK - everything you posted is pure spectulation. There is no "actuality" in the definite sense of the concept you proposed. I've heard them all before.

14. MacM Registered Senior Member

And why shouldn't they since gravity analysis indicates you need (5) times as much Dark Matter as observable matter to account for observations.

Particularily since there are views which account for observation without any Dark Matter or Dark Energy. Of course that requires giving up on GR which you would not want to do.

Keeping in mind that the inverse functions of Dark Matter and Dark Energy require that each exist in specific regions cosmically to work just right makes the idea a bit suspicious. A bit AD HOC.

15. funkstar ratsknuf Valued Senior Member

Eh?

To answer another question, yes, "dark energy" is just a term for something we don't yet understand, but the expansion is observed, as is the effects on spacetime by mass.
    Well, it certainly didn't seem that you were familiar with the concepts.

Anyway, I'm not going to do your research for you. If you don't accept it, fine, but don't expect me to care.

16. Aer Registered Senior Member

I accept it as an explaination, but not as "fact". This is a point we differ on.

17. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

Aer:

You seem to be imagining that the curvature is somehow "lumpy" or quantised. In the GR picture it is not - it is continuous, and there's no way to avoid it. Superimposed on that smooth large-scale background is the small-scale stuff, and you can certainly avoid some of that.

If you're saying that different photons may pass different numbers of stars and planets etc. at different distances, then I have no argument with that.

18. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

MacM:

I didn't say they shouldn't complain about dark matter. It's perfectly legitimate to question the concept and try to solve the problem. This, unlike the correctness of relativity, is an open question in physics.

None which do so successfully, without introducing new problems or being incompatible with existing knowledge, as far as I know.

Give me a better theory, and I'll drop GR in an instant. Though I personally think that any better theory will most likely include GR in the appropriate limit.

As I understand it, dark energy is everywhere. I'm not sure about dark matter, but maybe you know more about it than me.

Please explain.

19. Aer Registered Senior Member

I don't think we are considering the same universe. Are you imagining the entire universe as a pebble type object in a wider picture? Because I am not. I am only considering the edges of the universe where "mass" occurs. Correct me if I am wrong, but curvature dies off with the distance from massive objects. So objects on the extreme opposite end of the universe do not have as much of an effect as objects on the arbitrarily chosen edge of the universe from which we started when the photon is at this arbitrary chosen edge.

20. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

Here's one possible picture:

Imagine the Earth's surface is the universe. On the large scale, Earth's surface has a particular curvature, because the Earth is a sphere. But, on a small scale, the surface is not smooth - it has hills and mountains and valleys.

If you go for a walk on the Earth's surface, you can avoid walking over Mt Everest, for example, but you can't avoid the overall spherical curvature of the surface.

21. Aer Registered Senior Member

OK - so the curvature is not based on the average density that you previously mentioned? Because that would be synonymous with you averaging the hills and mountains on Earth to find the average spherically radius and that is nonsense.

So what causes this overall curvature?

22. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

Yes, it is.

It's not quite the same thing. In the case of the Earth, the overall curvature is partly due to matter which is NOT on the surface (i.e. it depends on the size of the whole earth, including core, mantle and so on). The large-scale curvature of our universe's spacetime is ONLY intrinsic - it depends on the mass and energy in the universe. There is no matter or energy which is not a part of our spacetime.

23. Aer Registered Senior Member

The analogy is not the same then. You were talking about walking on the surface and the path you take. We can imagine that the Earth is a hollow spaceship with the same topography, how does this change anything? (well, there is no matter which is NOT on the surface).

The analogy doesn't hold.

I think the overall curvature is the wider picture view of the universe I described previously - unless you can prove otherwise. A link may help.