Length Contraction in the Muon Experiment

Discussion in 'Physics & Math' started by Aer, Jul 26, 2005.

1. Janus58 Valued Senior Member

It is not a conclusion, it is a intial condition of the test. The muon crosses the depth of the Earth's atmosphere as measured in both frames.
    I didn't predict anthing about about the results of this experiment.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Aer Registered Senior Member

It appears we are approaching the problem from different perspectives. The only condition related to special relativity in the experiment is the fact that the muon is created and decays and at all points in time (from the muon's perspective or the Earth's perspective) the muon is travelling at .998c. Is this correct? the fact that the muon reaches the Earth's surface is not a condition of the experiment or special relativity, it is a result.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. superluminal I am MalcomR Valued Senior Member

Concerning the Muon Experiment:

Yes.

Yes.

Yes.

No.

The muon sees all distances and lengths that have relative velocity to it as contracted.

The earth sees all distances and lengths that have relative velocity to it as contracted.

In our rest frame, the muon is created 10000m up and must traverse that distance. In the muon's rest frame it is created 600m up and need only traverse that distance.

Assume muon v = 0.79c Distance to traverse in earth frame = 15.6b ly. When we meet:

On the earth, we would see the muon clock at 12.0by with our clock at 19.7by.

Now, when the muon is created the distance it must travel in its frame is only 9.6bly and will take it 12by on it's own clock.

So, the muon would read our clock at 7.3by with its clock at 12by

Yes, it does.

Hopefully this helps?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Aer Registered Senior Member

Ah ha! This is more of the answer I was looking for. However, from the muon's perspective, the Earth travels 600m, as the muon doesn't consider itself "traversing". Anyway, thank you superluminal. I'm still not sure that the other issue has been resolved.

8. superluminal I am MalcomR Valued Senior Member

Anytime. And of course you are right, the muon is happy in its rest frame and all else moves about it.

Which was the other issue? The accumulated time thing?

9. Aer Registered Senior Member

That is all well and good, but what would the muon see when we meet?

I think the issue of who is considered travelling is confused here.

This is of course assuming the muon's frame is length contracted and on second thought, I am not sure about my agreement with you on the post above.

Hopefully I'll be able to reconsider the issue from what you have said and express my thoughts in a more clear manner.

10. superluminal I am MalcomR Valued Senior Member

Hmmm... Ok

11. superluminal I am MalcomR Valued Senior Member

Sorry about the "who is travelling" confusion. I have trouble sometimes yanking myself out of my own rest frame and into another.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

:m:

12. superluminal I am MalcomR Valued Senior Member

From the muons POV (travelling at .79c or whatever) the universe exists in a contracted state. What appears to us to be 15.6bly is, to the muon, only 9.6bly. The earth only travels

)) that distance to the muon.

13. geistkiesel Valued Senior Member

Sl, One paper you provided (see link below) show muon creation over three orders of altitude magnitude.

While I am in the process of matching the use of d/m<sup>2</sup> terms to determine altitude
    this paper indicates variation (experimental data) of muon fluxes with altitude.

Notice that these data indicate muons created at altitudes nearing the planet surface. I have seen no information in this forum other than SRT claims that time dilation accounts for the muons reaching the planet surface. Obviously these data in the paper cited above show experimental contradictions, not that this means anything to a believer in special relativity theory. As was pointed out earlier if one ignores these data the reliance on pure special relativity theory turns out to be just another pile of pure scientific bullshit.

Geistkiesel

14. Aer Registered Senior Member

The distance the Earth travels was not the issue here, it was the time on the muon's clock. In order for light to not reach the muon in it's contracted universe, the total time accumulated in the muon's frame must be less than that accumulated in the Earth frame. However, this is not what Special Relativity claims.

15. superluminal I am MalcomR Valued Senior Member

Well big G, since this thread is about accepted science and how we explain muon fluxes at the surface, then I guess you better star another thread dedicated to why that ain't so. Whaddya think?

16. superluminal I am MalcomR Valued Senior Member

Ok let me think. I'll get back to it tomorrow.

Actually, I don't understand the problem as you state it.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2005
  17. geistkiesel Valued Senior Member

Janus58 there are some data needing explaining by someone with familiarity with SRT as these data are contradictory. See what you can do with this, ok?what does special realativity theory say about muons created at various levels of the atmosphere?I have seen nothing from SRT on this. How, or why does SRT ignore these kinds of experimental data?
    I suppose it is, not by ignoring the data, rather the data is not sought out, is it Janus 58?

Why do you appear on this forum professing to offer anything other than what is expected from a robot?

Geistkiesel

18. superluminal I am MalcomR Valued Senior Member

Janus58,

If It were me, my answer to:

Would be "Fuck you geistkiesel, and the fucking relativistic jackass you rode in on."

Just my opinion though.

19. 2inquisitive The Devil is in the details Registered Senior Member

by superluminal:

"The muon sees all distances and lengths that have relative velocity to it as contracted.

The earth sees all distances and lengths that have relative velocity to it as contracted.

In our rest frame, the muon is created 10000m up and must traverse that distance."
    ===============================================================

Do you guys really not see the mistake here? 'The earth sees all distances and lengths
    that have relative velocity to it as contracted.' Then an UNCONTRACTED distance is
    stated, 10000m.

Surely you guys know that all you have to do to skew Special Theory results is to start the gedanken from the 'wrong frame'. Example:

The muon is created at 10,000 meters from the Earth through decay. (varies,of course). The muon sees the Earth clock as beating slower than its own. The muon lives a MEAN life (not half-life, a different thing) of 2.2 microseconds in its 'rest' frame,
    and 'sees' the Earth's clock accumilate only a fraction of this time, about .13 microseconds, before it decays. The Earth 'sees' the distance to the muon as length
    contracted, instead of 10,000 meters, the Earth observer sees the muon created at
    about 600 meters. Special Theory blows up when starting the exercise from the 'wrong'
    frame, even though STR states there are no preferred frames.

20. funkstar ratsknuf Valued Senior Member

2inq:

There's no mistake in superluminal's post. Both the muon and the Earth observer agree that the muon originates in the atmosphere right next to the (imaginary) altitude balloon with "Height: 10km" on it. The muon doesn't agree that there's 10km to the surface of the earth, however.

Your gedanken fails not because you start from the "wrong" frame, but because your setup doesn't match the conditions of the muon experiment: If the muon originates 10,000 muon meters away from the earth, it'll originate far outside the atmosphere, because the earth (and it's atmosphere) is length contracted.

The starting condition, however, was that the muon originated 10,000 Earth meters up in the atmosphere, not 10,000 muon meters. To interchange the two is to mix length measures from different frames, and that's a no-no.

21. 2inquisitive The Devil is in the details Registered Senior Member

Uh, no funkstar. When beginning the exercise from the muon's frame of reference,
    the muon sees the Earth clock running slow. The muon DOES NOT see distance
    contracted from this frame. Changing to the Earth's frame of reference, the distance
    to the muon seems contracted. It is exactly opposite of starting from the Earth's frame
    of reference, in which the Earth observer sees the muon's clock running slow, then
    changing to the muon's frame of reference, the muon sees the distance contracted.

22. superluminal I am MalcomR Valued Senior Member

Of course it must. Maybe we should talk about this in the "Visual SRT 1" thread? It addresses this very issue.

23. funkstar ratsknuf Valued Senior Member

2inq, I'm sorry, but you're mistaken.

In one gedanken the muon originates 10,000 Earth meters from the surface of the earth. In the other gedanken the muon originates 10,000 muon meters from the surface of the earth. This is not the same thing. Can you see why? Think about the altitude balloon...

Also, of course the muon sees the Earth as length contracted. After all, in the muon frame the Earth is moving and so must be length contracted. And therefore the Earth's atmosphere, moving with the Earth, is also length contracted.