"Law and Order" movie star GOP presidential candadit!

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Michael, Mar 28, 2007.

1. Michael 歌舞伎 Valued Senior Member

Poll: Thompson's star rises with GOP

He's not even officially running for president, but Fred Thompson, star of NBC's "Law and Order" and a former Tennessee senator, is gaining in the polls among Republican White House hopefuls.

This news comes as some of the GOP hopefuls who are already in the race recently lost some ground. What's behind the numbers, and does this mean that Republicans are hungry for a candidate who's not already running?

Roughly two weeks ago, Thompson said he was considering a run for president. Since then, he has skyrocketed out of nowhere to rank third among GOP White House hopefuls in a new USA Today/Gallup poll published Tuesday.

This is where the GOP finally lose it and break into 3 groups, one Religious, one neo-con-artists and one traditional conservative. Then they lose the majority of Congress as well as the WH.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. zanket Human Valued Senior Member

Simple. His name has only two syllables & sounds American, and he looks the part. Superficial things are all that matters to most Republicans. That's all that matters to a big chunk of Democrats too, and they are still partial to white male candidates, so Thompson could well be the next prez if he runs.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Michael 歌舞伎 Valued Senior Member

Its sort of funny to me - really, the actor who plays the character in the show Law and Order is just a fictional person. But, I am sure, for many Republicans who said they'd vote for him - they are in essence thinking of this fictional character - as if it is that person they are electing.

It'd be funny if the producers
    1) Had his character killed off - would that confuse many Republicans if he still ran?
    2) Made his character pro-Hilary Clinton

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Haaa!
    3) His character comes out of the closet, is pro-choice, loves Hilary and gets a sex change, all before turning Muslim and blowing up the police office on Law and Order

so many fun experiments could be run here ....

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. quadraphonics Bloodthirsty Barbarian Valued Senior Member

Actually, actors are real people. And he was really elected to the real United States Senate before he ever appeared on Law and Order. Moreover, the job of President requires lots of public speaking and TV appearances, so acting is not a bad background to have. It worked out pretty well for Reagan and Schwarzenegger.

8. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

I agree.

9. otheadp Banned Banned

we know he can act & sound presidential (a big part of politics is acting)

but he is also a very good communicator (as opposed to the current POTUS), and has solid opinions (not a flip flopper) that appeal very much to conservatives everywhere

he hasn't even declared anything, and already he is ahead of Romney, who has been campaigning for a while

...another thing: he isn't just "Law and Order" movie star (it isn't a movie, it's a show). he's a former Senator

10. zanket Human Valued Senior Member

Great thinking! Yes, I think any of these would reduce his odds of winning a Republican nomination. (Probably not by a lot though, since Law & Order fans are more likely liberals. The info would need to be disseminated at church and rallies.) And I agree it would be funny too.

11. Michael 歌舞伎 Valued Senior Member

Hoo Hoo Hoo.... wait here just one darn minute. In typical Republican fashion, that will surely eventuate in The Party of God's disintegration, Republican wing-nuts demand Thompson express his unadulterated unflinchingly faith and Love in THE LORD of LORDS and KING of KINGS - JESUS A CHRIST. :worship:

Can I hear an Amen my Brothers!

*AMEN!!!*

Can I hear an Amen Sisters!

*AMEN!!!*

Can I get 15% commitment from you my Sucka's

*???*

I said - do YOU LOVE the LORD JESUS!?!?!

*Yes-sa Yes-sa ... we LOVES YOU JESUS*

AMEN MY CHILDREN!!!

Oh .. where was I? Ah yes,

Right-Wing-Nuts

As senator turned actor Fred Thompson considers a presidential run, his Christian credentials are being questioned by Dr. James Dobson, a major voice among Christian conservative voters. Republican strategist Rich Galen saw this as a positive thing.

"If I'm advising Fred Thompson, which I'm not, I'd say 'Good news! We're big enough that someone like Dobson has to pay attention to us,' " he said. In an interview with "U.S. News & World Report," Dobson said, "I don't think he's a Christian."

A Thompson spokesman quickly contested Dobson's statement, saying "Thompson is indeed a Christian. He was baptized into the Church of Christ."

But a declaration of Thompson's religion will not be enough for Dobson, who is viewed as being widely influential with evangelical Christians, a key Republican voting bloc. "We were pleased to learn from his spokesperson that Sen. Thompson professes to be a believer," said Nima Reza, a Dobson spokeswoman. "Thompson hasn't clearly communicated his religious faith, and many evangelical Christians might find this a barrier to supporting him.
    "

12. Rick Valued Senior Member

Detour : crap, i wish adam schiff was still around.

13. Michael 歌舞伎 Valued Senior Member

Dobson has not endorsed any candidates. He told "U.S. News & World Report" that he thinks Gingrich is the "brightest guy out there" and "the most articulate politician on the scene today."

:roflmao:

14. Genji Registered Senior Member

I've repeated this over & over to the SF righties that think the GOP (Party of God) will nominate a pro choice, pro gay, thrice divorced Italian Catholic as the Republican candidate. It just ain't happenin. The religious right controls the Party and no conservative has ever had the testicles to stand up to them.

15. Michael 歌舞伎 Valued Senior Member

The sad thing is, the old policies such as fiscal responsibly (which made up the core of the GOP) has been over run by Religious wing-nuts who place a higher premium on attacking the enemies of Jesus (like Muslims and possibly the Vatican

I think perhaps the Party of God may actually split?

16. Genji Registered Senior Member

The true conservatives like Goldwater, Novack, Buchanan and George Will are not represented in the GOP. Neoconmen like the current mafia in the White House and like you say, the religious wingnuts have squeezed the true conservatives out. Any moderates are marginalized and despised by the ruling clique running the Party, waving their Bibles and guns.
    The Republicans will fail to win in '08, because of their own poor performance and disastrous policies and strategy. This will split the Party in 3 I think: Angry out for blood neocons like Cheney, Gingrich and DeLay; Religious freaks like Robertson, Thompson, Brownback & Frist and moderates like McCain, Giuliani and Hagel. I can't wait to watch the self destruction.

17. Mr. G reality.sys Valued Senior Member

You folks can't even agree amongst yourselves about your own political party's dynamics.

What makes you imagine you can accurately characterize the party dynamics of your political opponents with convincingly unerring accuracy?

Auto-stimulation is an addiction, not a solution to your problem.

18. The Devil Inside Banned Banned

now i wish i were a television producer..
    ha!

19. Michael 歌舞伎 Valued Senior Member

You don't think that Religious right is now the most powerful influence in the GOP? Maybe, just maybe, even more than Big Oil???!!!

20. The Devil Inside Banned Banned

he doesnt have to characterize anything....its playing out on the news for anyone with half a brain to see.

21. zanket Human Valued Senior Member

On last night's Law & Order, a dad killed his daughter's teacher and his defense was that the teacher threatened to bring God's wrath on his daughter by teaching evolution over creationism. Fred Thompson didn't agree with the argument. Guess religion won't be supporting him then. His budding "candidacy" is over.

22. Mr. G reality.sys Valued Senior Member

No, I don't.

And if you don't want Big Oil to have as much power as you believe it to have then boycott gasoline, and plastics ... for starters.

As if you're ever going to do that.

Right.

You ain't gonna kill your pusher, even if you believe you want to.

23. Mr. G reality.sys Valued Senior Member

The producers of "news" understand their demographic, and quite successfully cater to its needs.

Apparently, you haven't smelled the roses.

As if that's news.

*Not so Subtle Irony Alert*

Last edited: Apr 1, 2007