Latvia

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by Thor, Aug 20, 2002.

1. Deena Homicide Registered Senior Member

Yeah right Thor, you're not reading all of that.

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Thor "Pfft, Rebel scum!" Valued Senior Member

shhhh

I am actually reading most of it. I admit I'm not reading everything, but I am reading a lot

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

I know it's a lot of info

but I better give much and you choose what you want or not, or what interests you

I never even expected smone to read it all

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

repost

A truly beautiful presentation of our country - you won't regret seeing this - promise

Latvia is in the heart of Europe and on its way to meet the challenges of the 21st century. This 5-minute video takes you on a musical tour of Latvia today – the people and the very special places that make it one of the Baltic Sea’s natural and cultural treasures.

Featuring the song
    “Welcome to my Country” by Brainstorm.

for all you who have DSL's or cables or value quality
    Mpeg - 32Mb

quality suffers and I don't advice you this smaller one
    RealMedia - 18Mb

say how you liked it

8. Thor "Pfft, Rebel scum!" Valued Senior Member

I'll get it tomorrow. That'll take about 30mins to download. I'm off soon

9. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

NATIONAL SYMBOLS OF LATVIA

The Flag

Written records of the red-white-red Latvian flag have existed since the second half of the 13th century. Bearing a red flag with a white stripe ancient Latvian tribes went to war against ancient Estonian tribes. This historical evidence would place the Latvian flag among the oldest flags of the world.
    At the end of the 1860s Latvian student, folklore researcher and later, professor Jekabs Lautenbahs-Jusmins found reference to the use of a red-white-red flag in The Oldest Rhyming Verse Chronicles of the Livonian Order. The Chronicles depicted events in Latvia in the second half of the 13th century (till 1290) and glorified the feats of the crusaders in converting the pagan inhabitants of the Latvian region to the Christian faith.
    Based on the aforementioned historical record, the present day flag design was adapted by artist Ansis Cirulis in May 1917. The red colour of the Latvian flag is a particular dark red tone that is referred to as “Latvian red” in the rest of the world. The flag’s colour proportions are 2:1:2 (the upper and lower red bands are always twice as wide as the white band in the middle), and the correlation of the width and length of the flag is fixed as 1:2. The Latvian national flag, together with the national coat of arms was affirmed in this format by a special parliamentary decree of the Republic of Latvia that was passed on June 15, 1921.

The National Coat of Arms

The Latvian national coat of arms was formed after the proclamation of an independent Latvian Republic and was specially created for its independent statehood. The national coat of arms combines symbols of Latvian national statehood as well as symbols of ancient historical districts. The sun in the upper part of the coat of arms symbolises Latvian national statehood. A stylised depiction of the sun was used as a symbol of distinction and national identity by Latvian riflemen – latviesu strelnieki – recruited into the Russian imperial army during WWI. During WWI the sun figure was fashioned with 17 rays that symbolised the 17 Latvian-inhabited districts. The three stars above the coat of arms embody the idea of the inclusion of historical districts (Vidzeme, Latgale and combined Kurzeme-Zemgale) into a united Latvia.
    Culturally historical regions are also characterised by older heraldic figures, which already appeared in the 1600s. Kuzeme and Zemgale (Western Latvia) are symbolised by a red lion. The lion appears as early as 1569 in the coat of arms of the former Duke of Kurzeme. Vidzeme and Latgale (Eastern Latvia) are symbolised by the legendary winged silver creature with an eagle’s head, a griffin. This symbol appeared in 1566, when the territories known today as Vidzeme and Latgale had come under Polish-Lithuanian control. The Latvian artist Rihards Zarins designed the Latvian national coat of arms.

The proper use of the Latvian coat of arms is firmly regulated. Three types of symbols are used – large, small enhanced and small.
    The large coat of arms, for example, can be used by the State President, Parliament, Prime Minister, Cabinet of Ministers, government ministries, the Supreme Court and Prosecutor General, as well as Latvia’s diplomatic and consular missions.

[SIZE=SMALL]The Small Enhanced Coat of Arms[/SIZE]

The National Anthem

“Dievs, sveti Latviju!” ("God bless Latvia!") is the national anthem. The words and music were written by Karlis Baumanis (better known as Baumanu Karlis). The anthem first appeared in the second half of the 19th century when the Latvian people were beginning to openly exhibit a strong sense of national pride and identity. Karlis Baumanis was the first Latvian composer to use the word “Latvia” in a song lyric. The concept of “Latvia” had only began to take shape in the minds of writers and activists and was used to describe all regions traditionally inhabited by Latvians. Although most Latvians did not yet dare to dream of a sovereign state totally independent of the Tsarist Russian Empire, the song "Dievs, sveti Latviju!” served as a powerful catalyst for the emerging national consciousness. The use of the word "Latvia" in the song was an open challenge to the Tsarist regime that had little sympathy for national movements.
    Initially, Russian authorities forbid the use of the word "Latvia" in the title and text of the song and it was replaced by the word "Baltics". It was performed publicly in June of 1873 at the First Song Festival in Riga. It was first sung as a national anthem on November 18, 1918 at the proclamation of Latvia’s independence. On June 7, 1920 "Dievs, sveti Latviju!” was officially proclaimed the national anthem of the Republic of Latvia.

Audio file of the anthem of the Republic of Latvia (MP3, 128kbit)

When the communists/Russia annexed Latvia in June 1940 the national flag, coat of arms and anthem became illegal within Latvia itself for 50 years. Many people were persecuted simply for keeping and hiding the red-white-red flag or singing the national anthem. But the official symbols of Latvia were never forgotten and the struggle to bring the national red-white-red colours back into use marked the beginning of a renewed struggle for independence at the end of the 1980s.

Other Latvian Symbols

The National Bird

The Latvian national bird is the balta cielava or white wagtail (Motacilla alba). This slender and graceful bird is often found in Latvia from April till October. The white wagtail can usually be seen running briskly along the ground, wagging its tail up and down. This bird usually nests in the rafters and eaves of buildings, woodpiles, stone piles, and birdhouses. During the winter it migrates to Southern Europe and North Africa. The white wagtail was affirmed the national bird of Latvia in 1960 by the International Bird Protection Council.

The National Insect

The Latvian national insect is the two-spot ladybird (Adalia bipunctata). The two-spot ladybird is familiar as a useful insect that protects plants from parasites. Although rather slow by nature, it can defend itself well. Due to its appearance and behaviour it is widely known and liked throughout Latvia. The insect’s Latvian name - marite - is a synonym for the ancient Latvian goddess Mara, who embodies the power of the earth. The two-spot ladybird was designated the national insect of Latvia by the Entomological Society of Latvia.

The National Flower

The Latvian national flower is the pipene or daisy (Leucanthemum vulgare, earlier also known as Chrysanthemum leucanthemum), which also grows here in the wild. In Latvian conditions the common or wild daisy blossoms from June till September. Daisies are a very popular flower and are often used in flower arrangements or given as gifts.

National Trees

The linden, or lime tree (Tilia cordata, Latvian: liepa) and the oak (Quercus robur, Latvian: ozols) are considered the national trees of Latvia. The oak and the linden tree are characteristic elements of the Latvian landscape. Both trees are still widely used for medical purposes. Medicinal infusions are made of linden blossoms as well as oak bark. Latvian dainas (folk songs) often reflect ethical and moral concepts of earlier times. Amongst other trees, these folk songs most often mention the oak and linden tree.

In traditional Latvian folk beliefs and folklore the linden tree is looked upon as a female symbol, but the oak - a male symbol. The nation’s reverence for these trees, which in earlier times were considered sacred, can be witnessed, for example, in a landscape where, in the middle of a cultivated field there still remains a lone large, sacred oak or linden tree.

Amber

Amber has long been viewed as a precious stone associated with the eastern shores of the Baltic Sea. Latvians themselves have occasionally referred to the Baltic Sea as the Amber Sea (Dzintarjura), reinforcing the symbolic importance of amber (dzintars) in Latvian culture and history. Unlike other precious and semi-precious stones which are formed through inorganic chemical processes, Baltic amber (succinite) is formed from organic elements – fossilised pine resin. For this reason, amber absorbs body heat and is easy to shape.

In ancient times Latvian territory was known as a source for amber. Amber from the Baltic Sea coast was valued as component for jewellery and was used for barter in Ancient Egypt, Assyria, Greece and the Roman Empire. At times it was considered even more valuable than gold. Just as in the past, amber today is most commonly used in jewellery. Amber has traditionally been used to create amulets, pendants, broaches, buttons, necklaces and intricate pieces of decorative jewellery. Amber has also been used for pharmaceutical purposes, since it contains succinic acid, which is considered to have unique medicinal properties.

10. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

Symbol of Latvian Fate – the River Daugava

The Daugava is considered the Latvian national river. The Daugava is the largest river that flows through Latvia (total length 1005 km, of these 352 km flow through Latvian territory).

Known as the "river of fate" or "mother of rivers", the Daugava has served as an ancient trade route linking the Baltic Sea to the Black Sea, profoundly influencing the flow of Latvian history. For centuries the Daugava has served as an essential transport artery, means of livelihood, and source of energy. (Latvia’s hydroelectric stations are located along the Daugava). Today, as in the past, the Daugava serves as a borderline between distinct Latvian cultural and historical regions, separating Kurzeme and Zemgale from Vidzeme and Latgale.

Symbol of Independence – Freedom Monument

The Freedom monument, or Brivibas piemineklis, in the capital city Riga has become an undisputed symbol of independence. It was built from 1931 until 1935 from donated funds. The monument is designed by Latvian sculptor Karlis Zale.

At the base of the monument sculptural reliefs illustrate different significant moments in Latvia’s history, while the very top displays the symbol of freedom – a woman who embodies the idea of Latvia’s sovereignty. At the foot of the freedom monument there is never a lack of flowers, which are placed here with deep respect for those, who have formed this nation and who have sacrificed their lives in the fight for independence for the good of the nation and its people.

Jani

[SIZE=SMALL]Jani - midnight ritual at the bonfire.[/SIZE]

The annual celebration of the summer solstice, known as Jani is generally viewed as the most important Latvian holiday. Jani is celebrated on June 23 and 24. The traditions and rituals associated with the celebration of Jani are deeply rooted in ancient Latvian folklore and continue to have deep symbolic meaning for the celebrants. Participants gather flowers, grasses and oak leaves which are used to make wreaths and decorate the farmstead, house and farm animals. Jani night activities include the singing of special Jani songs (Ligo songs) around a ceremonial bonfire. Home-brewed beer and a special Jani caraway seed cheese are an essential part of this colourful holiday ritual.

© Text: Raimonds Ceruzis
    Photographers: A.Eglitis, J.Kalnins, A.Korsaka, M.Lielkalns, T.Nigulis, J.Pigoznis, J.Talbergs, J.Zalans

11. Adam §Þ@ç€ MØnk€¥ Registered Senior Member

Very interesting stuff Avatar, keep it up.

12. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

I hear sarcasm in your voice

don't worry- you can imagine that I post it for myself lol

13. Adam §Þ@ç€ MØnk€¥ Registered Senior Member

No, I do find it interesting. I like learning about history, and about other countries. We're very isolated here in Australia from other cultures.

14. spookz Banned Banned

15. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

yeah- quite a lot of Latvians went to Australia in years 1940-1945

I have even an uncle living there (he left in 1970 by trespassing the ussr from Poland in a freight ship - - paid huge sums of money to corrupt harbour officials) never seen him though

16. Thor "Pfft, Rebel scum!" Valued Senior Member

WOW, this is my most popular thread ever.

I haven't got time to download that thing. I'll do it on Saturday when I come home from work

17. GB-GIL Trans-global Senator Evilcheese, D-Iraq Registered Senior Member

I didn't learn much, I already knew most of that.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

BTW yes Avatar, I can correctly pronounce Latvian words even though I don't know what they mean.

18. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

well, if you need smth translated....

19. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

god of thunder - Perkons

The first records of Perkons' existence came from Peter Dusburg's chronicles of circa 1320 CE. They tell only of the worship of Perkons. The first indication of Perkon's cult (Perkonu Kults, pronounced peerkonu kuults) came in 1428 on the 6th of February, when Riga (capital of Latvia) published its Statuta provincialia, which reads:

"Tomer dazi zemnieki un musu provinces Livonijas iedzivotaji nododas nevis miruso kristiesi mirstigo atlieku godinasanai, bet, kas ir jo drausmigak, par smagu apvainojumu Dievam tik loti ir iestigusi, demonu vilinati, elkdievu vara, ka galigi atmetusi palavibu uz Raditaju un sveto palidzibas davanas gaida no dabas paradibam un zemakam radibam, ka perkona, ko vini sauc par savu dievu, cuskam, tarpiem, un kokiem, kuriem vini tic [...]" (Statuta provincialia, par 27)

Basically, "we are shocked that some farmers in Livonia's (old Latvia) provinces not only do not observe Christian rites, worse, they pay homage to demon gods - completely ignoring the Holy God and instead worship gods of the earth, such as Perkons, who they call their god. Snakes, worms, and trees they also worship." Disclaimer: this is a Very Basic translation, which itself is a translation from Latin.

Perkons is likely older than Dievs; he is described in the oldest chronicles and in poetic and epic folklore. Archaeological sciences suggest that the Cult of Perkons was widely spread during the 2nd - 4th century CE. We first see documented information about Perkons in Livlaendische Reimchronic (1290), pertaining to his worship by the Curonians (Kursi). He is not more powerful than Dievs, but they are both primary divinities. Like Dievs, sometimes he descends from the Sky Mountain to walk among the people. He is sometimes referred to as the sky smith, a mighty warrior and the scourge of evil. The coals from his forge fall to the Earth and become silver, or gold.

Kalejs kala debesis
    Ogles bira Daugava!...
    (54868)

The smith smelted in the heavens
    Coals fell to the Daugava!

Perkons' forging abilities are the subject of dissension among different Dainas. In some, he forges the very sun that shines upon the Earth. In others, the sky itself.

Perkons uses his hammer as a weapon in addition to hurling lightning, much like Zeus. Perkons controls the rain. This is the likeliest reason for his popularity. In any primarily-agrarian society, rain is considered all-important, equal with, if not greater than, the sun. The sun comes out inexorably. Droughts may last for months and months. In Christian times he became known unofficially as the adversary of Velns, the Devil. Sacrifices were periodically made to appease him - prevent droughts and floods and sickness/plague. Farmers often called upon Perkons in Spring to deliver the rains:

Perkons brauca pa jurinu,
    Lietins lija jurina.
    Arajs ludz Perkoniti:
    Brauc, Perkoni, sai zeme,
    Brauc, Perkoni, sai zeme,
    Mieziem asni novitusi.
    (33711)

Perkons sailed the sea,
    Rain fell on the sea.
    The farmer begged Perkons:
    Come, Perkoni, to this land,
    Come, Perkoni, to this land,
    The livestock's blood is fading.

Occasionally even the wife and sons of Perkons help, bringing about dew and fog.

The sign of Perkons (Perkonu Raksts) is that of a swastika, but note that this was used for thousands of years before the Nazi's blackened its significance. On the Day of Perkons (Perkonu Diena) a Sign of Perkons is lit with candles. Pray the American Media does not catch wind of this without another disaster/war to divert the peoples' attention.

Sacred forests are the domain of Perkons. These forests are those of predominantly oak trees [climax ecosystem], the groves of which were fenced off either naturally or by man. The tall oaks symbolised gods; when Crusaders fought to convert the Latvians they realised that cutting down these trees was the most effective form of discouragement. The worshippers expressed that "they no longer knew where to go and pray, or where to find their god."

Perkons' connection with fire from lightning is evident in the Dainas, which mandate an ever- burning fire for the god, constantly fed by oak logs. If the fire happened to go out, it had to be restarted with oak ceremoniously struck with grey fieldstones. This is similar to the Celtic fires, and like these fires, priests on whose watch the fire extinguished were sacrificed in the name of the god. Before planting season, two black bulls were sacrificed to Perkons to ensure good rains.

One function of Perkons is controlling fertility and weather. The Catholic clergyman D. Fabricius wrote of Perkons in 1610:

"During a drought, when there has not been rain, they worship Perkons in thick forests on hills and sacrifice to him a black calf, a black goat, and a black cock. When the animals are killed, then, according their custom, the people come together from all the vicinity, to eat and drink there together. They pay homage to Perkons by first pouring him beer, which is then brought around the fire, and at last pour it in this fire, asking Perkons to give them rain."

Like all major Latvian gods, Perkons owns many horses. His are black stallions, and fittingly fierce. The Dainas describe them as:

Perkonami melni zirgi,
    Ar akmeni nobaroti,
    Dzer sudraba udentinu,
    Teraudina silite.
    (33705)

Perkons black horses,
    With rocks fed,
    Drink silver water,
    In the stables of steel.

Many Dainas describe Perkons as a learned horseman and driver. He is commonly seen as owning horses nine in number. His chariot, which he drives with skill, is made of silver, "Perkons braucu pa jurinu, / Ar sidrabu ratiniem... (Ltdz 3, 7840)" Fierce Latvian horses (kumelini) were often called "Perkons' horses."

The family of Perkons is quite extensive. His wife, called Perkona mate or "Mother of Thunder," is a strong woman who bore Perkons many sons. How many? Some Dainas say 3, some 4, 5, 6, 7, or 9. One Daina mentions three daughters in detail. These three daughters are all betrothed: one to Dievs' son, one to Auseklis' son, and one to Saule's son. Another Daina mentions only one daughter. Variations in the number of sons/daughters is due largely to locality: Dainas from different locations yield different figures. Whatever the number of sons, they are usually subdivided into three groups: sons who growl (i.e., thunder), who kick, and who emit lightning (zibina). Perkons' daughter-in-law is described in detail, wearing linens and shawl, decorated with baubles, and wearing golden shoes. Her clothes are studded with gold and silver.

The functions of Perkons' sons are many and deeply described by the Dainas. Basically, they mimic their father in actions: flinging lightning, fire, banging drums for thunder, etc. The women of Perkons' family apply themselves to more domestic actions: knitting and weaving.

The etymological origin of Perkons is Indo-European. Perkons is derived from the stems per(k) and per+g (q). Three possible interpretations of the root are:

God of thunder and rain
    God of height, mountain, comparable to Gothic fairguni - "mountain", Hethic peruna - "rock", old Hindu parvata - "mountain"
    God of oaks, perk-us as compared to Latin quercus - "oak"

Today, the name signifies a god of foul weather, though to the indo-Germanic tribes he was an oak god.

Perkons is similar to the the Byelorussian Pjarun, in Slavic he is Perun, Piorun in Polish, and in Lithuanian he is Perkunas.

The name in Latvian has some synonyms, though each have a slightly different meaning:

Perkonitis (prn. pehrkonihtis) is the diminutive form (characterised by -itis). This form is usually found in folk songs (tautas dziesmas) and Dainas.
    Perkona tevs - father Perkons.
    Vecais tevs - Old Father (Old Man).
    Perkons is sometimes referred to as Dievs; though this is the same name of the primary god. This illustrates how transient the hierarchy is of the Latvians' pantheon.

The sign of Perkons, called the Sign of Fire (Ugunsraksts), symbolises light, fire, life, health, and prosperity. No other nation has used the swastika-symbol so widely, nor developed so many permutations in the design. The fire cross is a development of crossed lightning bolts.

20. Joeman Eviiiiiiiil Clown Registered Senior Member

Dude, post some Latvian chicks man!!! That is the thing I am most interested in at this moment

21. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

I have no idea of what are you talking about

22. odin Registered Senior Member

I have no idea of what are you talking about
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

23. Joeman Eviiiiiiiil Clown Registered Senior Member

Okay I will try to translate I guess.

Dude = A cool studly guy
    post = er...write up
    some = a few
    Latvian = adj for Latvia
    chicks = girls
    man = adult male
    that = that
    is = is
    the = the
    thing = thing
    I = myself
    am = am
    most = er.... a large but indefinite number
    interested = fascinated, attracted.
    in = in
    at = in
    this = that
    moment = instant

Edit to add:

Oh I get it. Latvia is all man no chicks. That is why Avatar has no idea