Laser eye surgery

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by Teri, Jun 11, 2004.

1. Gifted World Wanderer Registered Senior Member

Careful youngins, it still disqualifies you from military service for a number of things. But, provided you get the right career field and you have enough retainability, they'll pay for it.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Magenta Nihil est incertius volgo Registered Senior Member

My stepbrother had laser eye surgery when it was a relatively new procedure and it went well. However a couple months after while playing tennis he was struck pretty hard in the head with a tennis ball and his vision became blurry. I dont know if one had any correlation with the other but I thought I would just mention it.

I think nowadays you have to be 23 to have the procedure done.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Q25 Registered Senior Member

wanna bet?

I've heard of cases when peoples vision got actualy WORSE after having this laser surgery done,probably due to the incompetence of the "doctor"!

no fucking way I would ever let anyone shine a laser in my eyes,

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Epsilon Prime Over Epsilon Registered Senior Member

My uncle just recently got LASIK...so they call it for the eye sight correction procedure
    it's quick and painless, tho apparently it does take a while to get the full normal vision back. now he's still having a *tad* bit of trouble seeing clear, but they offer readjustments so...yeah

personally i wouldn't get lasik tho =/ i like my specs better =)

8. Teri Curious Registered Senior Member

I was hoping someone would have some feedback about the mistakes. I'd rather know about the drawbacks now than find out later when something went wrong; it's better to know that it's not a hundred percent sure thing.
    Of course it would be great to have your vision back, but I still want a guarantee that nothing would go wrong.

Besides, specs look sexy on some people so it's not a vanity thing. I'm just tired of either cleaning specs or worrying about how long I've had my contacts in.

Thanks to all who have replied.

Cheers
    Teri

9. Eman Resu Registered Senior Member

I understand the desire for laser surgery (freedom from eyewear). What's the scoop on contact lenses? BBH had started with info on why NOT to get corrective surgery but what about some studies on contact lenses over the past 20 years or so? Anyone have info?

10. Teri Curious Registered Senior Member

Eman, if you're considering contact lenses then go for it. I wear them regularly. If you have a good pair then you can actually forget that you're wearing them.

I don't know about where you live, but where I am, most optomotrists will ask you to wear a trial pair to see if you like it. There's nothing to lose.

It was a long time ago, but I remember being elated the first time I wore them - it's completely different to glasses.

Cheers
    Teri

11. Gifted World Wanderer Registered Senior Member

There's actually several procedures for vision correction. What you have will dictate what you get. My eyes, they say I get the one where they lift the cornea and work on the lense underneath, and then let it back down. You have to wear special contacts for a while, and take medicine. I can't remember what that one's called, but LASIK, so far as I know, is the one where they work directly on the surface. The different procedures have different things to go wrong, etc.

12. phlogistician Banned Banned

And with the draft being re-instated that's a bad thing?