Large Hadron Collider Concerns

Discussion in 'Astronomy, Exobiology, & Cosmology' started by __your_Zahir_, Aug 10, 2008.

1. Lamont Cranston Registered Senior Member

So Walter has faked his credentials and stolen someone's identity. Reminds me of a character from 1930's pulp fiction. The person whose identity was stolen was called Lamont Cranston. The character who stole the identity was called 'The Shadow'.

Walter has quite a lot in common with The Shadow.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Read-Only Valued Senior Member

Not quite accurate.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Lamont Cranston was just his secrect identy - like Superman and Clark Kent or Batman and Bruce Wayne.

As kid, I use to listen to a 15-minute episode of those books on the radio everyday during the summers. ("The weed of evil bears bitter fruit - The Shadow Knows!!" <followed by an evil laugh>)

The books were still in print in the early '50s and I bought a couple of them.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Walter L. Wagner Cosmic Truth Seeker Valued Senior Member

Here's the kicker. I was accused of stealing my own identity! Plus, I was accused of "attempted theft" for filing a civil lawsuit to collect back-pay I am owed [which lawsuit is just about to provide me with that pay, from the appellate court]. They seemed to think in the local political machinery that losing a civil suit at trial-court-level was tantamount to "attempted theft". The fact that I'm actually prevailing in that civil suit [now at the appellate level] didn't seem to bother them; or that that's what the courts are for, to see what a judge thinks about someone's claim. The charge should have been "attempted collection of back-pay by way of a civil suit", but I guess that was too long.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Trippy ALEA IACTA EST Staff Member

Less than 30 minutes to go before the first beam injections, and the sharemarkets are stable.

8. Trippy ALEA IACTA EST Staff Member

Walter - According to the article, the charges came about because you served the papers on your wife (as the treasurer) even though she no longer worked there, and then showed up as a representitive of the people you were serving the papers on.

Hence the accusations of fraud (at least as I understand it).

9. Walter L. Wagner Cosmic Truth Seeker Valued Senior Member

Can't believe everything you read. She was still an officer, on government records, and by numerous statements of eyewitnesses. That's where the perjury charge against the accuser comes from. He himself assisted in filing papers showing her as an officer, then lied about it to a grand jury, in an effort to bolster his position in civil court. It's backfired on him royally.

10. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

Walter,

I hope you're being careful in what you say. If court action is still in progress, and you're accusing parties of lying, you could be held in contempt of court if what you say is not upheld to be true by the court.

Also, you might be sued for libel.

11. Trippy ALEA IACTA EST Staff Member

There's still a conflict of intrests, most people would have recused themselves.

I'll refrain from any comment on my personal opinion on the situation and what you haven't denied.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2008
  12. Captain Kremmen All aboard, me Hearties! Valued Senior Member

Well, the first part of the first stage of the experiment has been performed with very little razzamataz.
    No yee-hooing and no champagne corks flying.

A very subdued commencement to the greatest physics experiment ever.
    It's success was signalled by a fuzzy dot on a small screen, which was similar to the dot which appeared on old TV sets when you turned them off.

They should have stuck one of these in the background

Now that's what I call proper science.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2008
  13. rpenner Fully Wired Valued Senior Member

So were the criminal charges dropped without prejudice or was the case dismissed? If so, when? Also, are you going to meet the latest Federal court deadline?

14. Captain Kremmen All aboard, me Hearties! Valued Senior Member

Some mathematically inclined loonies have been wearing placards saying "The end is pi".

15. Trippy ALEA IACTA EST Staff Member

I think the funniest thing I've seen along this line was in the movie 28 Days.

The preacher wearing the sign saying "I told you so!"

16. kmguru Staff Member

I do not think either. 15 minutes and counting down. The energy is 7 TeV. May be when they go up to 20 TeV....who knows....

17. prometheus viva voce! Registered Senior Member

You're completely wrong. The beam energy of the LHC today is something like 450 GeV with the maximum beam energy as designed for about 7 TeV, about 4 times the tevatron. The LHC will never get to 20TeV

18. Lamont Cranston Registered Senior Member

No problem today, because it's a single beam only and I assume the beam went to the beam dump.

The press have been having a field day saying the world is going to end today. Very naughty and very clever.

Because when collisions begin, the public will be convinced there's no problem at all and will have been lulled into a false sense of security.

Read the 'Shadow' stories. Get the message that a man who appears on the surface to be a villain, can actually be very good.

19. Lamont Cranston Registered Senior Member

A read of the novels will reveal that Kent Allard (The Shadow's real name) did indeed steal Cranston's ID. Cranston later approved of the name adoption, but under some duress. Allard and Cranston had a rather similar appearance. The real Cranston was paid off by Allard, and departed NYC so that Allard could continue to adopt the Cranston ID (See Maxwell Grant's novel 'The Shadow's shadow).

I know that this has nothing to do do with the LHC..sorry

20. Lamont Cranston Registered Senior Member

Hhaha Walter, whatever anybody says about you, you've certainly had an interesting life

21. Captain Kremmen All aboard, me Hearties! Valued Senior Member

Walter is the shadow.

22. Nasor Valued Senior Member

So whats the anti-turning-it-on response to the argument that much greater energy collisions occur in nature all the time, without any apparent problems?

23. Lamont Cranston Registered Senior Member

Well, how often do hadrons hit each other head on, both travelling 99.9999% light speed? I've no idea.

With cosmic rays, these heavy particles will be emitted from the sun, and will follow divergent trajectories, being emitted from the same source. If they hit earth, that is a much slower moving massive object. I don't know how fast hadron cosmic rays travel.