Laptop VS PC

Discussion in 'Computer Science & Culture' started by darksidZz, Aug 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. leopold Valued Senior Member

okay guys, listen up.
    the surge protection in a desktop PC is inherent in the design of the supply, it is not something that is added later. it's called voltage regulation.
    in the "old days" you would have transformers and ballast tubes to "regulate" the voltage. then along came zeners. but today we have fast acting "LM" series of IC regulators that can react to very fast pulses. these devices are an integral part of the supply. when they "blow out" you replace the entire supply.
    do yourselves a favor and take apart a "surge protector" outlet strip. all you will find is a couple of inductors and a couple of capacitors. yes, they will limit surges but only by a few volts and they react v-e-r-y s-l-o-w-l-y.
    no, a PC DOES NOT require a separate device to limit surges.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Enterprise-D I'm back! Warp 8 Mr. Worf! Registered Senior Member

Well, like i said, I was thinking battery backup.

I was saying 'very true' to the collateral damage a blown power supply can cause

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

OK, I will give the ultimate answer and we can close this thread:

Why don't you get BOTH? For $900 you can easily buy both a laptop and a desktop. That amount is way less than a top of the line machine in each category and you still can use them for years to come...

By the way OP forgot to give us his range of buying power, so my assumption of $900 can be average...

P.S.: At tigerdirect.com the Emachine is $290 and an Acer laptop is $440. If my math is correct that is under $800, including shipping. Get BOTH already!!!

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. superstring01 Moderator

I use a laptop that, for the most part, I love. It's a Gateway something-or-other I bought for work a year ago. I tried to get every bell and whistle because they reimbursed a "portion" (not at that point named, which turned out to be $200... and I spend a grand more)... but it serves its purpose.

I still want a nice PC that dual boots Vista & Linux.

~String

8. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

I use laptop when I need portability (in bed or in field) and desktop(s) for storage and media work.
    Moreover I have set up an nxserver, so I can work with heavy programs from my laptop using WLAN, but the actual computing work is done by my Desktop workstation.

9. pencil Banned Banned

I can't imagine using a laptop for work, laptop for vacation would be fine for things like checking my mail and surfing the web.

On a laptop, the greatest limiting factor is the harddrive. Most work environments have auto-start services and multi-programs running which take a toll on the harddrive. Since the average laptop harddrive spins at only 5400rpm, that's a huge performance hit. In fact, some of you may notice "lag" on a laptop due to this.

10. Repo Man Valued Senior Member

Years ago, audiophiles had to have separate everything. A separate amplifier, preamplifier, tuner. You didn't just buy a turntable, you bought a certain turntable, a certain tonearm, and a separate cartridge. This was so you could get the best of each individual component. And you could upgrade each separately. Integrated amplifiers (receivers) were not really audiophile components. And home stereos that had all in one, including a built in turntable (and later, tapedeck) were a complete joke to audiophiles.

But to the general public, integrated stereos were fine. They weren't that picky, and if one component in the stereo system died, they threw the whole thing out, and bought a new one.

This is being replayed with computers. An enthusiast has to have a certain motherboard, hard drive, a special sound card, and a very specific video card etc. And six months later, probably a different video card. A year later, maybe a faster hard drive, or a new motherboard and CPU. You cannot just upgrade the motherboard on a laptop. Your upgrade options are very narrow. This isn't an issue for most computer users, but it is a very big issue for the computerphiles.

I really have no use for a laptop. My computer is also my home entertainment system. It is my TV, my stereo, and where I watch movies. If I cannot upgrade it how and when I want, I have no interest in it. This is also something that keeps me from ever really considering Apple products.

11. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

Aha, but you can't take a pc to bath or bed with you!

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

12. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

I'm an IT professional and I'm delighted with my laptop. My wife works in another field and she has a desktop unit. I couldn't stand to have my computer take up such a big footprint on my desk, or not to be able to shove it out of the way when I want to do something else in that prime workspace.

But we do both have Macs. I'm now an IT project management consultant and trainer. I long ago quit caring about what was going on behind the screen of my computer, just as I no longer rebuild carburetors for the fun of it. (Oh you say cars don't have those any more?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

) What I want is a computer that's an appliance. Turn it on, type in some commands, and out pops perfectly toasted data. I don't want to spend ten percent of every workday being a software mechanic. I'm forced by my job to have a Windows box <spits in the direction of Seattle> and ten percent of the time I spend "working" with it is indeed troubleshooting the piece of drenn I had to pay money for the privilege of being a gamma test site. It's not an appliance, it's either a toy or a delicate laboratory instrument.

I don't mind computerphiles, somebody has to design the bloody things. But what I object to is computerphiles who are so arrogant, myopic and incompetently managed, that they design computers on the belief that everyone who buys one will also be a computerphile. Goddess bless Apple: computing appliances for normal people.

13. pencil Banned Banned

I don't understand your point, "apple: computing appliances for normal people". How is $2000 for a piece of non-upgradeable garbage considered normal?

Also, the Mac OS (OSX) has tons of problems associated with it which isn't as publicized as much as the flaws of Windows because of the user-base ratio.

The $400 e-machines can do the same tasks as the apple but the e-machines is more upgradeable in the least amount of cost, therefore implying that PCs are far superior to Macs. Consider the variety of third-party support in terms of hardware and software, you got yourself a winning deal with a PC.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.