Laptop question

Discussion in 'Computer Science & Culture' started by darksidZz, Sep 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. darksidZz Valued Senior Member

I have a laptop and when I'm in my room the signal shows 5 bars in Windows 7 but for some reason the speed is only 3mbps or 4mbps and what's bizarre is if I leave my room with it and go out the download speed goes to the normal 12mbps. Clearly some bizarre interference from the wall :L

I read you can replace the internal antenna in the laptop and it runs along the LCD.

I also read you can replace the wifi card inside.

I am not sure what to think, people online claim replacing the wifi card increased their reception, but how the hell could it? It does the same thing it doesn't change the antenna :/

Do you know if Fry's would change an antenna in a laptop to a better one? Or I read you can get a wifi card that supports 3 antennas and add one in addition to the two already present.

I looked at this laptop but it's a gateway and I don't see any wifi card thing :L

I also was looking at a mini USB antenna wifi adapter, it looks decent.

What do you guys think?

Also the wireless router is an airport express, I tried moving it but the issue was the same. I can't move it to my room or anything it's gotta be near the tv :/

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Believe Happy medium Valued Senior Member

Getting some RJ-45 should fix the problem.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. darksidZz Valued Senior Member

I figured it out. I ordered an Intel 5300 based wifi card, dual-bands 2.4/5GHZ and 3 antenna connections. I only have two on the laptop but seriously I've no idea how to open it and shit so won't even try. Here's the spec page http://www.intel.com/products/wireless/adapters/5000/index.htm

It was 20 bucks on Amazon. They had a 6300 series I would've bought but there's people with the 6200 series that were saying they had freezing issues, why take a chance.

See this? http://www.amazon.com/Notebook-Bluetooth-Broadband-Internal-Antenna/dp/B0030D2KB6/

I wanted that but would not have any idea how to install it :/

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. phlogistician Banned Banned

So you have bought some hardware you have no idea how to install?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.