laptop broke down

Discussion in 'Computer Science & Culture' started by spuriousmonkey, Aug 6, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

I was thinking the same thing actually. But I have been too lazy.

Depends where. My model was 2300 euro in finland. But I didn't buy it there. It was 1500 in Holland!! If it really turns out to be a broken mainboard it might also be cheaper to let it be fixed in holland...maybe...

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

tried to open the computer. Can't really get to the motherboard. I unscrewed everything, but something still seems stuck.

I got the harddrive out easily though.

Doesn't look like a harddrive for a PC though. What would I need to connect it to a desktop? Would it be possible? I don't have another laptop to put it in. So you don't have to suggest that.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

It is this one:

Toshiba HDD2182 40 GB Hard Drive

Portable - Internal - DMA/ATA-100 (Ultra) - Rotational Speed: 4200 Rpm - Access Time: 7.14 MS - Platform: PC

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

8. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

That might be one way building your own method of accessing it, with a few cables, it would be the cheapest method. Otherwise its just finding another laptop that fits it.

9. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

update.

i went to the computer guys downstairs. They had the adapter. the plugged it on the right side for me and I put it in one of our desktops. i had to put it instead of the CD player though, because otherwise I would have master/slave problems.

The harddrive is still functioning and I am copying right now.

GOOD NEWS.

the computer guy also told me that you can have a 'box' for these 2.5" harddrives that turns them into a usb harddrive. Anyone heard about those?

Last edited: Aug 26, 2004
  10. invert_nexus Ze do caixao Valued Senior Member

Try searching the internet for your laptop brand and model and disassembly or something similar. They make them a puzzle to get into.

With mine, I have to remove just two screws from the bottom. These two screws hold on the plate with the power button and volume buttons and all the other buttons above the keyboard. I then pop off that plate and the keyboard folds down and I can remove it. Then, there is a metal plate that I have to remove to get to the board beneath. The metal plate is basically a huge heat sink. I also have to remove a couple of screws to take out the cd-rom drive as the cmos battery is immediately below that.

You know what's screwed? I relayed how I scraped off that bit of excess solder on the processor. Since then, there has been no need for me to reset cmos. But, just a few days ago my battery stopped working. It still detects it. Says it's full (almost full. Slowly draining as it's not being charged). But it won't charge it or run off of battery power. I'm moving in a week and in my location I will really be able to take advantage of the portability of a laptop and now I can't because the bloody battery doesn't work!!! ARRGGHH!!

I wonder if it's the battery that's the problem or if its some hardware inside the machine? A new battery costs a couple of hundred bucks. I'd hate to pay for one only to have it not do any good.

Stinking laptops.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

11. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

I don't really see the point to buy a laptop for you can access your own PC from another PC anywhere and download anything on it.So if your going to do a meeting somewhere all you need is a PC to use and most places have them now. To me laptops are just another portable DVD movie viewer. I know there's some applications for them but nat as much as befor when you couldn't download your own files anytime , anywhere.

12. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

i don't have a desktop everywhere I go. I'm not that rich.

13. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

bloody hell...unscrewd everything there is. tried hard to open it...even with force...but nothing...

14. invert_nexus Ze do caixao Valued Senior Member

Like I said, search the net. Did you try doing the same as mine? Mine is a compaq and yours might disassemble differently, but I wouldn't be surprise if there was a similar mechanism involved.

What type of laptop do you have?

15. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

Acer travelmate 800

i did search the net...didn't find shit.

certainly not on the acer site...also not with google.

16. invert_nexus Ze do caixao Valued Senior Member

17. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

I don't recognize anything.

I will just put it together again and justbe happy that I have my data.

And returning to an unanswered question:

Some computerguy pointed out to me that you have USB hardrives that are basically a 2.5" hard disk drive in some kind of box with interface. He mentioned that you might be able to buy the box separatly and turn my now useless laptop hard drive into a spanking new USB hard drive. He had no further info than this.

Does this ring a bell to anyone else????

18. invert_nexus Ze do caixao Valued Senior Member

Didn't see a watch battery? Also, sometimes merely pulling out connections and reseating them fixes problem. The problem being caused by corrosion on the contacts. Though I doubt this is the situation in your case.

As to the USB thing. Never heard of it, but wouldn't be surprised.

19. Kunax Sciforums:Reality not required Registered Senior Member

how come you dont know the tech people, just after the secrytaries, they and other service people are the most imported people in larger corps. IMO

20. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

I know them too well. I have been caught a few times doing illegal stuff. At one point they even sended an official email to the head of the adminitrative unit of the institute and my boss, and to the general university computer administration.

I try to avoid them nowadays.

21. Kunax Sciforums:Reality not required Registered Senior Member

LOL, well depening on what you have down ofcause, maybe they are just doing there job and a laugthing behind everyone back. Then again, you could also be the kind of person tech people love to hate

, douthfull thou.

22. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

At least i make their work less boring.

23. Xerxes asdfghjkl Valued Senior Member

You're a biologist, therefore they hate you

Theres no hope

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.