Knowledge vs Faith

Discussion in 'Science & Society' started by Eric F. Magnuson, Apr 21, 2003.

1. Q25 Registered Senior Member

ok,I'll try
    God as defined by your bible =omni everything,right?
    he is all mighty
    all knowing
    everywhere at the same time
    controls everything
    and is invisible

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

do you realy believe that something so CONTRADICTORY can exist?
    and he created man in His image,
    so how come man isnt invisible???
    heck everything in the bible is totaly wacko,
    www.skepticsannotatedbible.com

now im very knew to this scientific stuff,but its my understanding that matter,the stuff universe is made of cannot be destroyed,
    only changed therefore,universe wasnt created ,
    had no begining nor end,
    it has always existed,in some form shape or another.
    so theres absolutely no need for believing in god,
    www.atheists.org

knowledge vs faith?
    I take knowledge,thank you,
    if you want to pray to god for a cure when you get sick instead of going to the hospital,go ahead knock your self out,
    while youre at it go handle some poisonous snakes,as your bible god commands,
    we'll see how far your faith will take you.
    if you want to be a functioning member of the modern society,better flush the nonsense superstitions down the crapper
    www.thewaronfaith.com

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Canute Registered Senior Member

Wha.. You can't possibly believe that.

The conclusion doesn't follow from your premises. I think that you're right about God not existing, but your reasons are not very good.

I'm afraid that you don't have a choice. Knowledge must be built on faith, it's a logical inevitability.

I take it you think you can separate the truth from the nonsense superstitions. If you try very honestly to do this, rather than make assumptions, you'll find it's not as easy as you think.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. David Mayes Registered Senior Member

Xevious

Hi Xevious.

I admit I haven't read the entire thread{as it's sizable}...but could you tell me if you know God via revelation* or intuition?

*I consider revelation to be a direct communication with God, and history informs us that religious scribes of the past claimed that they had received the word of God.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. darktr00per Registered Senior Member

Often faith is created by man to explain the unexplainable, control what he doesnt control, or for the good of a social group. Example--india-people worship cows, if they didnt hold cows sacred they would die out. If they were able to eat the cows--no more milk, no more fertilizer, no more energy from methane. This is just one example on how faith is created for the survival of a group. damn--long post guys