Knowing

Discussion in 'SciFi & Fantasy' started by madanthonywayne, Jun 25, 2009.

1. Nasor Valued Senior Member

The ozone blocks up to 99% of far-UV light, so presumably if it went away the time needed to burn might be cut by a factor of 100. Slather on some SPF 100 sunscreen, and you're back to "normal" burn times. Although I agree that eye protection would be necessary; you would definitely want sun glasses and/or UV-blocking contact lenses. Anyway, I agree that it would be a big disaster. Even though I suspect we could survive the ozone suddenly going away by wearing sunscreen and growing food in greenhouses etc, the initial burst of radiation that burned the ozone layer off would surely kill almost everyone.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. madanthonywayne Morning in America Registered Senior Member

As your link notes, Ozone and oxygen are constantly being converted into each other in the stratosphere. With the ozone layer destroyed, but still plenty of oxygen in the atmosphere, wouldn't the ozone layer quickly regenerate since the ozone/oxygen reaction in the stratosphere that created the ozone layer in the first place would be seriously out of balance in favor of ozone creation?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Nasor Valued Senior Member

Over a few hundred to a few thousand years. Very fast in terms of the life of a planet, but pretty damn slow by human standards.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Cowboy My Aim Is True Valued Senior Member

It's the best Nicholas Cage movie of the entire year!

8. superstring01 Moderator

Hardy-har-harrrr.

~String

9. Cowboy My Aim Is True Valued Senior Member

His best movie since Bangkok Dangerous?

10. superstring01 Moderator

Nobody knows the replenishment rate.

If we're talking total destruction because of a solar burst (not just depletion), the most conservative estimates are at a few million years to replenish it. Remember, oxygen isn't even the most abundant chemical in the air, and even less oxygen makes it up to the altitudes where solar radiation forces the oxygen molecules to bond three of them together. Needless to say, even if it took as short as a millennium (which is almost science fiction-esque), humanity would still be doomed for a mountain of reasons. The first being a lack of food. The second being radiation if ever exposed. The third being the "chaotic" weather factors that would ensue. Destruction of the rain forests and upper plankton cycles would alter the atmosphere quickly. CO2 levels would skyrocket faster than they do today. The greenhouse effect would melt the polar caps, "shift" weather in ways we could not even estimate. Some time later, a new glacial period would certainly begin again, causing the polar caps to drift down, covering most of northern Eurasia and North America.

Too many variables. Humans are just too fragile and our technology is not at a place where it could easily--even with proper preparation--allow us to survive. And we haven't even begun preparing (with good reason: the odds of the Ozone layer sloughing off anytime soon is infinitesimal compared to us nuking ourselves or Yellowstone erupting within the next 100 years).

~String

11. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

I wrote this in a separate thread....

The analogy of the scientist's stupidity would be to find an old newspaper correctly predicting 50 weeks' lottery numbers 2 weeks remaining in the future and NOT buying the tickets to test the paper's prophetic ability...

12. Nasor Valued Senior Member

That's how many fiction writers like to imagine scientists. Rather than being people who look at the evidence and go with whatever it points to, fiction writers imagine scientists to be people who just want to crap on anything interesting and extraordinary that comes their way, and who will ignore any evidence of the fantastic.

If you are in a situation where something super-freaky is going on and you actually have evidence to back up your insane-sounding assertions (like Cage in this movie), a scientist is likely to be your best friend, because they would be far more willing than most to actually look at your evidence and try to evaluate it objectively instead of just dismissing you out of hand. Writers want to have it both ways, on the one hand giving the hero substantial proof that something crazy really is going on that would be very convincing to any rational person, but on the other hand having everyone else not believe them so that they can heroically struggle alone etc. If you want to have a plausible story where no one believes the hero, then, uh, maybe you shouldn't give him iron-clad proof that he's right? Because then your only option is to make all the other characters in the movie seem like brainless retards who don't recognize what's blindingly obvious.

A more realistic reaction from the scientist in the movie would be something along the line of "Holy shit, we are going to get soooooo many Nature articles out of this!!!!!!"

Last edited: Jul 20, 2009
  13. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

the parts that that bothered me the most where when Cage knew the little girl's name (in the museum) when he hadn't been told it. And when he sat with the Mom (a virtual stranger) in the ambulance when his son had been kidnapped minutes before. Who does that?

14. Lord Vasago bcd Registered Senior Member

What about transporting 2 kids with 2 bunny's in a ship that big. and there isn't room to spare for one more ???????

15. alpinedigital Registered Senior Member

What makes you think they were saving them? Dude they probably have a huge batch of the best salsa in the galaxy...

Actually, I'd think they'd sort of take samples of so many species, but not interfere with such catastrophic events. Prime directive sorta thing - you know. They weren't actually supposed to make first contact but since it would be 'last contact' too, it wasn't going to matter, right? The kids left with the bunnies... that was only temporary. They set them there while they go to quickly enroll them in school and run a few errands to buy them some food, get'em some new kicks, and those self-dry jackets like McFly had... but rather than have the kids tag along asking questions about everything, they just found a nice area for them to sit and wait. Those kids trip me out, too... they weren't even like 'WTF! At least leave us some WHEELS!'

But yeah that sort of ending was so unexpected... I sat and watched a 2nd time with the GF and it got to the end and I was like, oops I forgot how this ending sucks... and was almost sorry I showed it to her.

16. Cowboy My Aim Is True Valued Senior Member

It would probably be really uncomfortable; like when obese people complain that airline seats aren't big enough. Would you want to hear Nicholas Cage's nonstop whining all the way to another galaxy?

17. alpinedigital Registered Senior Member

There is limited seating onboard and they have to abide by their strict safety policies... seatbelts and emergency escape pods for each and every person... the rabbits count ass carry-ons and can ride with the kids because their poo isnt messy.

In all seriousness, though - it could be that he was too old to survive the duration of the journey... or too old to start his training.

18. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

or too old to be wanted. Who is Cage gonna mate with? Little girls?

19. Cowboy My Aim Is True Valued Senior Member

The duration of the journey shouldn't be an issue. The kids were still kids when they got to their new planet.

20. Cowboy My Aim Is True Valued Senior Member

They could have brought Roman Polanski, instead. :shrug:

21. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

LOL, you are so not right. LOl

22. alpinedigital Registered Senior Member

That was not their new planet... that was a temporary rest stop. See my above post. I don't know why I see the same things as other people and to them, this planet is their new home, and to me, it isn't enough evidence to draw that conclusion. I guess Im just hoping for the kids' sake... I mean, I didn't see an arcade or even school playground or school for that matter. Wouldn't the kids perhaps feel a bit traumatized about being left all alone like that? The rabbits wouldn't care... and if they're male and female, those kids won't be hungry for long. When that salsa delivery arrives, I mean, because baby bunny with salsa is good eatin.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2009
  23. Cowboy My Aim Is True Valued Senior Member

I'm guessing that was their new home rather than a rest-stop. Why would the film show what the rest-stop looked like, but not the new home world? If I drove to San Francisco, I wouldn't take pictures of the place I stopped at to take a crap on the way.