Knowing

Discussion in 'SciFi & Fantasy' started by madanthonywayne, Jun 25, 2009.

1. madanthonywayne Morning in America Registered Senior Member

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Has anyone seen the Nick Cage movie, Knowing? If not, this thread will definitely include major spoilers because I want to discuss the ending. You've been warned, no bitching.

Anyway, so these aliens decide to save the human species from extinction from an event they apparrently knew about fifty years in advance. If that was their intention and with that kind of advance notice, couldn't they have pushed something between the earth and the sun for the duration of the mega solar flare? Hell, perhaps they could have done something to the sun itself to either prevent the mega flare or even deflect it slighty so it would miss earth? I mean, they cared enough to send a whole fleet of ships to save a few humans. Why not do something to save them all?

And that brings up another point. What was the point of bringing only children? The aliens drop a couple eight year old kids off on some alien planet, plus a couple rabbits, and expect them to survive? The aliens knew enough of human culture to predict exactly where Nick Cage would be the day of the plane wreck, but they don't know that children need adult supervision? Why not send Nick along with the kids?

As the ship was lifting off, we saw all those other rocks and I suppose it's possible that some of them represented adults, but all evidence seems to point to only children receiving the call.

The only logical reason I could see for the alien's actions is that they saw potential in humans but didn't like us as we are. So they selected a bunch of kids with whatever qualities the aliens thought were important and transfered them to a new planet. Kind of a reset. Save the species, kill the culture. Remaking us in their image.

What do you think?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. PieAreSquared Woo is resistant to reason Registered Senior Member

I thought the movie was... hey I'm Nick Cage... I'm going to do a sci-fi

Pretty sad really.

But why they took kids at the end.. I would think because it's going to take awhile till they get to the new place

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. madanthonywayne Morning in America Registered Senior Member

Don't you remember the end? The kids appeared to be the same age when dropped off as when picked up.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. PieAreSquared Woo is resistant to reason Registered Senior Member

NicK's kid was one.. right?

I thought parts were pretty cool... but by the time the end of the movie came about I was pretty much done with it.

8. madanthonywayne Morning in America Registered Senior Member

Yes. And the other was the grand daughter of the girl who wrote the number sequence that was placed into the time capsule in the begining.

9. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

wierd movie, im going to say the answer to your question mad is "because if they did that there wouldnt have been a movie"

10. PieAreSquared Woo is resistant to reason Registered Senior Member

the whole... earth being seeded by others is a bit far fetched to me

11. Nasor Valued Senior Member

Along similar lines, why didn't they just warn humanity 50 years before the event? With that kind of advanced warning and deadline, we probably could have built all sorts of under-sea colonies, colonies on mars, etc. before the big flare-up.

I guess you can argue that they're aliens, and so their motivations are probably incomprehensible to us.

12. madanthonywayne Morning in America Registered Senior Member

Good point. With that kind of notice, so long as they really convinced us, we could have done a lot to save ourselves.

13. glaucon tending tangentially Registered Senior Member

A truly boring flick.

14. superstring01 Moderator

The movie had Nick Cage in it. I'm not sure it could have been good. Well, it could have been good, if by some parallel universe type thingie, had Nick Cage managed to not be in a Nick Cage movie.

~String

15. madanthonywayne Morning in America Registered Senior Member

What about raising arisona and valley girl?

16. glaucon tending tangentially Registered Senior Member

The movie itself was facile.

I have to admit, along with mad', Cage has been in some flicks I like...

Adaptation, Matchstick Men, Next, Bangkok Dangerous.

17. superstring01 Moderator

No. Nick Cage should follow Michael Jackson and Farrah Fawcet to the grave. Quickly. Do not pass go. Do not collect $200.

~String

18. madanthonywayne Morning in America Registered Senior Member

DUDE! They've not even been dead a day yet. It's way too early to be making such jokes.:spank:

19. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

yea what is it about today, my partner said that 3 celebs died overnight. The guy from idependence day, jackson and someone else. Wonder wether jacksons concious finally caught up with him, its sad about the guy from independence day (by the nerdy guy im assuming she means the other guy who goes with will smith up to the mother ship)

20. PieAreSquared Woo is resistant to reason Registered Senior Member

21. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

yea just saw that, great news

22. Killjoy Propelling The Farce!! Valued Senior Member

No it isn't... ..say, have you heard that since Michael Jackson was 90% plastic, he will be recycled as a Lego set. That way, little kids can play with him for a change.

Hiyooooooooooooooooooooooooo....!!!!

As to the film, it was mildly amusing (EVERYBODY ELSE... hee hee hee. Oh! I mean, uh...) - in spite of the way it seemed that uttering his dialogue was actually causing poor Nick Cage some degree of physical discomfort - until all that gibberish about the "whisper people" started.

By the time the aliens were lifting off in their kooky flying dandelion ships, I didn't know whether to laugh or demand my five bucks back (hoo-ray for bar-goon night !)

23. shorty_37 Go! Canada Go! Registered Senior Member

So is this movie worth watching or not?