Knife Throw technique?

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by Dinosaur, Mar 8, 2017.

1. Dinosaur Rational Skeptic Valued Senior Member

Not sure where this belongs.

In many action movies & TV dramas, a knife is thrown with what seems to me to be an incorrect technique.

The knife is held by the tip, deliberately causing it to rotate.

To me, it seems better to hold it by the handle & attempt to throw it without causing the rotation while in flight.

BTW: A Bowie knife design seems better for throwing than the typical knife used for skinning an animal or general purpose use.

If I were to design a knife for throwing, the tip would be shaped some what like the Heart symbol of a playing card.

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Xelasnave.1947 Valued Senior Member

I can throw a knife via handle or tip.
    Your idea sounds like you want to make it dart like.
    I made three small knifes with feathers lashed tothe handles so they a ted like darts.
    Look on the net as you can bet someone mayhave done already what you suggest.. If not build one.
    Alex

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

You might want to study up on knife-throwing.

You need a rotation to keep the knife gyroscopically balanced. Like bullets, but on a different axis.

Try throwing a knife without any rotation, see how that works for you.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. cluelusshusbund + Public Dilemma + Valued Senior Member

To be clear... the end of the knife bein held dont determine whether or not it will rotate after bein thrown.!!!

8. Xelasnave.1947 Valued Senior Member

I found throwing under arm gives you a longer range I recall double but I could be dreaming.
    It rotated but controlably slow from memory. I think that was thrown with the knife laying flat on my hand. Handle forward. Tip points back to you. Dont run with it.
    Alex

9. cluelusshusbund + Public Dilemma + Valued Senior Member

Yes... the arc of an underhand throw is about twice that of an overhand throw so the knife will rotate about half as much when grippin the knife as you described.!!!

10. Oystein Registered Senior Member

Throwing a knife is a bad offensive maneuver, especially if you only have one knife, because it can never be as successful as shown in the movies. Worst case is you lose your weapon.

11. Dinosaur Rational Skeptic Valued Senior Member

From CluelessHusband Post #4
    If you hold the knife by the tip, it must rotate (180 + 360n) degrees where n is an integer if you expect it to hit the target pointed end first.

It seems difficult to me to cause exactly (180 + 360n) degrees of rotation for arbitrary distances.

I believe that knife throwers use a technique which avoids rotation & and do not hold the knife by the tip when throwing it.

12. C C Consular Corps - "the backbone of diplomacy" Valued Senior Member

Outside of knife-throwing as a sport, doubtless there were many acts of "no spin" or "slow spin" propelling in the past done out of unskilled instinct, desperate self-defense, or just not wanting to keep track of rotations in conjunction with judging distance. But otherwise it was the latter approach that was the aberration, not formally entertained or recognized in the West until arguably the 1980s; then had to be revived / re-introduced again years later. Some esoteric fighting schools of Asia, of course, featured such techniques for centuries before that. Hybrid styles have developed, too, in the aftermath.

The Gyro Dart knife is apparently one that is deliberately designed for throwing spear-like.

13. Dinosaur Rational Skeptic Valued Senior Member

A lookup indicated that martial arts knife throwers hold the knife by the handle & the knife does not rotate.

14. gmilam Valued Senior Member

http://www.wikihow.com/Throw-a-Knife

"Keep in mind that you want the weight to be thrown first. If you are throwing a blade-heavy knife, you will want your blade to be thrown first. Hold the knife by the handle to throw it. And vice versa -- if you’re throwing a handle-heavy knife, you will throw it by the blade."

15. cluelusshusbund + Public Dilemma + Valued Senior Member

To get a rotatin knife to stick takes practice... but i dare say that most knive throwers are quite good at it.!!!

Wit a proper grip on the knife... a counter rotation force can be an applied just before release... whether the knife is held by the tip or the handle.!!!

Whether held by the tip or the handle... if a knife is thrown like a dart it coud be done wit-out rotation... an whether its held by the tip or the handle... if its thrown overhand or underhand in a arc motion wit-out a counter rotation force applied at release it will rotate.!!!

16. Xelasnave.1947 Valued Senior Member

Yes, I was trying to recall but you are correct.
    Alex

17. Xelasnave.1947 Valued Senior Member

Its a sport type thing like darts you certainly would not use it that way asa weapon.
    Alex

18. Oystein Registered Senior Member

Knife vs. gun scene from The Magnificent Seven:

19. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

[/QUOTE]
    Care to share?