'Kiss' meaning to damage

Discussion in 'Linguistics' started by visceral_instinct, Jun 21, 2009.

1. visceral_instinct Monkey see, monkey denigrate Valued Senior Member

I have heard the word 'kiss' used to mean attack or damage, for example 'Kiss him upside the head with a baseball bat'.

Where did this usage originate?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. shorty_37 Go! Canada Go! Registered Senior Member

Probably some punk ass teen.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

I hear my 13 yr old saying some odd stuff. They come up with some really strange Slang.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. visceral_instinct Monkey see, monkey denigrate Valued Senior Member

Lol, I do that too.

I remember when I was a bit younger, my favourite slang word was 'raped'. I'd find any excuse to say 'raped' at least once per conversation. It was my all purpose word. 'I'm completely raped' meant being tired. 'My eyes are raped from hayfever' meant inflamed. 'This computer's raped' meant not working.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Bebelina kospla.com Valued Senior Member

In Swedish kiss means urine.

8. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

But that at least makes sense. It's the use of a more serious word to describe a somewhat similar but less serious condition; a type of exaggeration for effect.

Just saying the computer "crashed" is the same thing. Presumably you're not talking about an actual head crash that will require physical repair and restoration of data from backup files, but merely a deadlock or some other software problem that will be forgotten after a reboot, usually with no loss of data.

On the other hand, to use "kiss" for "injure" is a form of sarcasm: saying the opposite of what you mean. Sarcasm is a form of humor. Like puns and other types of humor based on the structure of language rather than making fun of someone's misfortune, it's often misunderstood.

9. madanthonywayne Morning in America Registered Senior Member

I've always thought that "kiss" meant a light touch in that sort of context. In other words, "Hit him upside the head, but not too hard."

10. visceral_instinct Monkey see, monkey denigrate Valued Senior Member

Ah, good point.

Like saying 'a nice big mess' when you obviously don't think it's nice.

11. nirakar ( i ^ i ) Registered Senior Member

Maybe from billiards. I remember hearing pool players talking about kissing the ball off the.... In that context kiss was a soft touch. I also have heard kiss used in other contexts for a very soft touch.

I am guessing that kiss as a hard touch (like with a baseball bat) started as a sort of mean playful sarcastic allusion to the older use of of kiss as a soft touch.