Kindle is going to die

Discussion in 'Business & Economics' started by Syzygys, Nov 21, 2007.

1. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

I predict Amazon's Kindle will go the way of any other ebook reader gone and die a quick business death. Reasons:

1. Expensive. For its price I can buy a laptop and use it as an ereader.
    2. Books are expensive. $10, although it shouldn't cost more than a paperback...
    3. People stoped reading.
    4. People still like to hold a paper or a book.
    5. Bezos is an idiot, Amazon is still in the red after more than a decade...
    6. Inconvenient. If I lose a book, I lost $20, if I lose this, I lost $400.
    7. Black and white only....

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Time will tell, but I told you so....

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. darksidZz Valued Senior Member

I just found out about this Syzygys, it's almost to good to be true! A 400 dollar handheld device I can bring hundreds of books on, that way if I'm lost in Alaska I can just read the whole time :A Truly wondrous, and let's not forget the fact it's so expensive I could make a whole care payment with that money

So who will buy this? I predict the rich.... only those rich enough will buy the book, hence why those at Amazon already have theirs lmao

One fear I'd have was dropping it, how often do we drop books and pick them up? Alot! If it had some sorta diagnostic menu that might be better, but drop it or something and ur screwed. Until nano-glass comes out that self repairs why bother? I hope the screen is glass and not that cheap plastic that can be scratched cleaning it.

Someone mentioned it should be bundled with the audiobook version so you can read or listen to the book, I agree. Imagine that?! Also I love your comment, if you lose a book it's 20 bux but if this is lost you loose 400! That alone is scary.

Oh wait let's do this, a skit on what might happen:

(Sam walks down the street in chicago holding the Kindle, he is going to the Field Museum)

Jerry "Yo whitey wha up?"

Sam "Umm hey, how ya doin, I'm just goin there."

Jerry "no no you ain't man, u stayin here wit us."

Sam "Umm, hehe sorry guys I'm gonna go now."

Brad "you beotch u gots some kinda fancy shizmo dere."

Sam "no, no I don't.. it's a book."

Larry "no, dat a pc man u nuts carryn dat here."

Sam "Sorry men I'm gonna leave now, thanks though."

All together "you ain't goin nowhere beotch whitey."

(they pull their guns out and shoot, Sam runs and squeals like a pig dropping his book)

Larry "yo man what dis jus some stupid book thing."

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

Until the batteries run out!

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

About 6 years ago a coworker had a similar device (there is nothing new under the sun) but the company went out of business after a year. I think it required a monthly fee or so.
    So basicly he wasted his money on the device, because the business model wasn't viable...

8. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

what's a Kindle?? Do you have a link?

9. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

I agree, it's on the way to the dodo.
    Along with things already mentioned consider the lifespan of such an electronic copy.
    When I buy a book, it can be kept and read for literally hundreds of years, but file formats and storage media types change in years, not even decades.
    These things are maybe only good for technical books, manuals, etc.

10. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

Your quoted sentence included: "any other ebook reader.."

So draw your own conclusions or use google...

OH, Amazon's shareprice just dropped from above $96 to below $70 in less than 2 months...

11. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

I don't know what an ebook reader is either.
    use google? You sound like angry bs

12. darksidZz Valued Senior Member

Avatar what are you talking about? What books do you know that last 100 years? Hell my books binding is cheap and flimsy and basically it's bent badly when I'm done reading, how would that last 100 years? Me thinks you're wrong there.

Unless of course you don't read the thing or loan it out to someone drinking coffee with an unsturdy hand! I mean for crying out loud the ink was coming off on my fingers as I turned the pages of this book I just got, that's how cheap the materials are nowadays!

13. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

Well, I don't buy crappy quality books, I try to buy well bound hardcover, if possible.
    The last one I bought is printed in 2007 and bound in hard leather.
    I also have a few soft cover books from 1920s, as well as a few hardcovers from 19th century and magazines from 1930s. All perfectly readable.

14. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

15. ghost_footsteps Registered Member

I held one in my hand and thought "All this for $400?". I would love a small e-book reader, but I would like it to be more comparable to a tablet pc rather than a Kindle.

16. MetaKron Registered Senior Member

At least a cheap paperback usually outlasts the business model for a given reader. I have paperbacks that are forty and fifty years old and they are in reasonably good shape. Some of them don't even yellow after forty years.

17. draqon Banned Banned

the Sony is cheaper and better

and also people realize this...the reason its black and white is because it used new sort of technology which goes easy on the eyes

18. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

It's a single-purpose microcomputer, smaller than a laptop--the idea is for it to be roughly the same size and heft as a real book, but it can hold hundreds. You download books to it and then read them on the screen. Some of them come with scanners so you can scan a book one page at a time into electronic format--boy howdy that sounds like a commercial success waiting to happen! Others have access to (presumably) proprietary libraries of books that are already in electronic format.

I would hope that these things have at least rudimentary formatting controls so you can change the font size, color, orientation, etc. to suit your own ergonomic preferences.

Those of us who do most of our reading on the subway and therefore buy small lightweight paperbacks will have to keep waiting. The Harry Potter books are a pain to carry and hold, even in paper, especially if you get stuck having to stand on the train.

19. crabapple Registered Senior Member

Electronic textbooks are becoming more and more widespread. I suppose it is possible that a Kindle might be helpful to college students for that.

20. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

When you can have a very thin and light laptop, why would you get a limited featured ebook reader?

As I expressed earlier this will go in the way of the dodo, because :

1. People read way LESS.
    2. Devices with way more features will be cheaper and smaller in size.

If I can read a book on my Blackberry, why would I get a device that doesn't do anything else???

21. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

I have to say i will always prefer a paper book, they dont run out of batteries and they are often easier to read than a computer screen. They are also better for your eyes

22. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

Also, when you run out of toilett paper...

23. MetaKron Registered Senior Member

Ten dollars is way too steep for a book that is transmitted electronically and has no physical presence.