Killing Crabs Humanely

Discussion in 'Science & Society' started by Orleander, Mar 27, 2009.

1. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

oh, my dad just dipped them in batter and fried them up, shell/guts/face and all.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

To remove and kill the crabs :

Treatment is simple and involves using a special cream, lotion or shampoo, which can be bought from a pharmacy. Your doctor, nurse or pharmacist will advise.

Lotions tend to be more effective than shampoos, and sometimes the treatment has to be repeated after three to seven days.

All bedding, clothing and towels need to be machine washed on a hot cycle.

Tell the doctor, nurse or pharmacist if you might be pregnant, are pregnant or are breastfeeding, as this will affect the type of treatment you're given. Everyone in your household should be treated at the same time, as well as any sexual partners.

What if the pubic lice aren't treated?
    They won't go away without treatment.

Advice and support
    Go to your GP, a genitourinary medicine clinic or a sexual health clinic. You can also talk to a pharmacist.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/relationships/sex_and_sexual_health/stis_lice.shtml

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Hard shell crabs? Dipped in batter? That's retarted.

Softshell crabs breaded and fried are awesome.
    Hardshelled crabs should be steamed with "Old Bay" seasoning, then eaten with melted butter and more Old Bay. You cover the table with newspaper and dump them all in the middle.

Like this:

Last edited: Mar 27, 2009
  6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

No, the softshell crabs. The ones you brought up. He ate soft shell crab sandwiches all the time.

I've caught Dungeness, Rock, and Blue. Dungeness was my favourite. I remember one night we were up til almost dawn cooking crab. Our bathtub was full and we had to cook them all before they died. My finger tips were all cut up from getting the body meat. And it was wet everywhere.

How did you drain your crabs?

8. scorpius a realist Valued Senior Member

tickle them to death

9. Bells Staff Member

You can't boil them while they are alive and moving.

Here we basically put them in the freeze so that they fall asleep and die without pain before we clean and/or cook them.

If you have ever heard the noise they make when placed alive and awake into a pot of boiling water, you would understand why they need to be killed humanely beforehand. The noise is like this high pitched squeak and they try to climb out of the pot. It really is horrible. The same applies for all seafood here in Australia actually. They need to be killed humanely before they are cleaned or cooked. It is deemed unacceptable to cook them while they are still alive and moving. Just as it is deemed unacceptable to hack off the tail of a lobster while it is still alive.