Kill It Already, Please (Enterprise)

Discussion in 'SciFi & Fantasy' started by CounslerCoffee, Jan 21, 2004.

1. could have, I would have preferred they answer some questions, like; what happened to the TOS Klingons' bumps, where are all the Mexicans in the future? & don't re-tell that one about arabs, you know the one, "because its a show about the future & there aren't any arabs (Mexicans) in the future".

I liked Capt Hernandez, so now they could have an all-Mexican starship, just like those all-Vulcan ones.

been there, done that, what a weak way to save the time line, & end the Temporal Cold War,

is the Temporal Cold War or are Xindi or Suliban ever mentioned in any official ST sources? I think not, they should never soiled the continuity of ST

yeap, Archer was too arrogant, blind & stubborn

& who did TPol love? Archer or Trip?

& why was Hoshi so weak & scared?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Starthane Xyzth returns occasionally... Valued Senior Member

Oh, the sources are still deliberately obscure about Klingon anatomy through history... when the Deep Space 9 crew travelled back into the original episode "Trouble With Tribbles", no-one but Worf even recognised the TOS Klingons as being Klingon! He was too embarressed to explain it all...
    As for Mexicans, perhaps most of them were killed in the 3rd World War of the mid 21st Century? Certainly if their poulation keeps growing steadily more urbanised, a relatively few nukes will be able to utterly decimate their nation...

There are plenty of official Trek references to Suliban, the Temporal Cold War and Xindi.

She grew to admire and respect Archer most, but lusted after Trip in her own repressed, drug-addicted, meditation-deprived way. I think the only person she, or any Vulcan, truly loves, is themselves.

Because she's an over-enthusiastic attempt by the scriptwriters to create a believably human character with real personal inadequacies, whatever her linguistic gifts...

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. saw TNG: "TwT", hilarious, but I think it was all PC; in the '60s no one would have complained that the Klingons looked to Asian (because make-up & special effects were so rudimentary), which may have looked too offensive later? Or they wanted to give Klingons a more "barbaric alien" look? but this last Enterprise, what with "augment hman" DNA & such is WEAK

got to stop al Queda before they blow up Mexico

I should re-phrase that, I meant previous to ST: Enterprise, I didn't like their messing with the timeline, inventing races, wars, etc... when the previous have so much potential, like; Romulans, Andorians, Orians, even Hortas!

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. buffys Registered Loser Registered Senior Member

I thought they were pretty clear, I guess you missed that episode. here's a recap:

The klingons tried to make a genetically superior race of klingons by modifying the technique used to illegally alter humans (which lead to the eugenics wars and startrek 2: the wrath of khan). They did succeed but there were 2 byproducts, the altered klingons look more human (in otherwords, no obvious forehead bumps) and they die a horrible death soon after they are altered. So, since the klingon doctors suck so bad, they abducted dr. flox and forced him to fix the problem. Much adventure and heroics ensue and just in the nick of time flox saves the day. Unfortunately, flox's fix robs them of their super-duper brains and strength and leaves them looking like b-movie versions of genghis khan.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2005
  8. saw it, didn't like it, it was weak, so I commented here:

9. buffys Registered Loser Registered Senior Member

well, to be fair, they didn't have many options.

When TNG came out they could hardly use the lame looking klingon makeup from TOS but any alteration had to be explained eventually. What else could make them look like a completely different species besides different dna? It was a no-win situation, they had to change the look significantly but any explanation would feel forced. That's why they dodged the question for so long.

10. Starthane Xyzth returns occasionally... Valued Senior Member

I never saw that episode; it must be interesting to have some explanation for the whole Klingon issue. Since the flat-headed, genetically altered phenotype was still current in TOS time, 100 years after Enterprise, it can't have been particularly regressive or inferior.

Still doesn't explain why specific individual Klingons - Kor, Kang and Koloth - went from flat-headed in their prime to the normal Klingon look in their old age (as seen in DS9). Or why the crew in that show weren't aware that the experiment had ever taken place, considering that the first starship Enterprise was directly involved and its missions would have been a matter of record...

11. trixxifi Registered Member

Or even better! Have a DS9 spin off! Star Trek: Defiant! I like it!

they could have brought in the defiant from when it appeared in the star trek movie with the borg in it (cant remember its name the now) that would have been a good introduction> they cold also have developed worf even more as a character instead of going back into the past with enterprise>

12. I prefer smooth-plated

they were working on another scenerio then? like, they get flat-headed in their old age, when their "ridge-horn knobs" stop growing, so all the TOS Klingons were really pre-pubsecent teen-agers, thats why Worf was embarassed by the question, you know, those were the awkward years
    ok, that was my number one problem with Enterprise, it had no continuity, it made up 'alternate histories' as it went along, introduced alien races, wars unheard of in TOS, TNG, DS9 or Voyager, so, what gives?

13. Starthane Xyzth returns occasionally... Valued Senior Member

Michael Dorn did a total of 11 seasons of Star Treks, longer than any other cast member... I think he must be sick of that oppressive Klingon prosthetic makeup by now.

14. glaucon tending tangentially Registered Senior Member

Speaking of Enterprise, what the hell is going on with it?? I know it's been cancelled but I mean, I haven't seen a new episode for maybe 4 weeks now...

15. Jeremirroer probably smarter than you... Registered Senior Member

i agree, that's very silly indeed.

16. Jeremirroer probably smarter than you... Registered Senior Member

the new enterprise series is an absolute joke. as was the last star trek movie made. Star wars rules also.

17. Starthane Xyzth returns occasionally... Valued Senior Member

All I've seen of it so far is "Storm Front"... another World War II Trek! That was the last thing we needed. TOS, Voyager and DS9 have all sent up WWII and the Nazis at some point. Originality is truly vanishing from the Paramount script office.

18. glaucon tending tangentially Registered Senior Member

Despite how much I enjoyed ST: Enterprise, I have to say that without reservation, it had the alltime worst finale ever. As a local TV critic around here said, you have to see it to believe how bad it is.
    Brutal.

19. buffys Registered Loser Registered Senior Member

well, I've seen the last ep now.

To be honest, I expected a lot worse, I thought they were ending it like a dream. As if Riker pops in at the end and say's "end program", like he was just watching tv. But they tied it into a story from the middle of ST:NG, I didn't expect that.

I still thought the end was poorly planned but I didn't despise it like I thought I would. If they'd put a bit more episodes into it I think it would have been a decent way to wrap it all up.

I didn't hate it (to my surprise) and that's a compliment.