Kevin Warwick is "Captain Cyborg", but will cyborgs rule?

Discussion in 'Science & Society' started by original, Jun 8, 2010.

1. original sine Registered Senior Member

Kevin Warwick is a fascinating gent from the United Kingdom who is one of the leading pioneers of cybernetics. He has conducted several experiments that involved implanting synthetic devices (computer chips and such) with successful results. For example, during one experiment, a device installed in his body allowed him to move his arm and have a robotic arm mimic his actions. Another documented experiment appears to be the first successful case of "radiotelepathy" between Kevin Warwick and his wife.

Read the PDF of a proposal written by Kevin Warwick by clicking this link.

Now I know the idea of enhancing your cognitive functions (memory, data processing, etc.) is an exciting proposition, and indeed it will be a great achievement not only for those who are or become disabled, but for extending our capabilities to an unrealized potential; however, if/when this technology becomes a widespread option, what will happen to the biological development of the non-cybernetic offspring? After a single generation it may not be of any great concern, but if a majority of the human population seeks these implants and this trend continues for several generations, will we abuse and become dependent upon these technologies to remain functional?

Please discuss. More references to scientific data regarding the effect of digital technology and the brain shall follow.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Michael 歌舞伎 Valued Senior Member

I like the idea. Reminds me of the book: Forever Peace. sign me up

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Skeptical Registered Senior Member

All new technology is expensive to begin with, and thus restricted to a small elite. However, over time, it becomes cheaper and wider spread, so that more can enjoy. This will happen with cyborg implants, even to the point where the operations of implant will be carried out by robotic surgeons, for very little cost.

If it turns out that very substantial benefits happen, in time it will become ubiquitous.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.