Kalam Cosmological Argument for the existence of God

Discussion in 'Religion' started by James R, Jan 11, 2016.

?

Does the Kalam Cosmological Argument convince you that God exists?

1. Yes.

1 vote(s)
    3.7%
  2. No.

25 vote(s)
    92.6%
  3. I'm not sure that I properly understand the argument.

1 vote(s)
    3.7%
  4. No opinion or would rather not answer.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Jan Ardena OM!!! Valued Senior Member

Of course He can. The argument states that...4

everything that begins to exist has a cause,

Thing: an inanimate material object as distinct from a living sentient being.

As far as we know, these things begin to exist, and as we can see no God, as a physical being,
    we cannot involve God in this, or the other two premises. Therefore the question is not being begged.

the univcrse began to exist

the universe had a cause.
    It is from the third premise we draw the conclusion that God is cause.
    Basically an uncaused, beginningless, cause, was responsible for the universe.
    Earlier on I posted some attributes this cause had to have, and those attributes describe God.

So yes, there was nothing (no thing) before the beginning of the cosmos, but it doesn't mean that God hasn't always been.
    Even if matter always existed, it didn't exist as uniformed nature we experience now.

The dictionary definition of everything states, that it is all things, plus, the current situation, life in general. Not the sum total of all existence.

jan .

Last edited: Jan 20, 2016
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Jan Ardena OM!!! Valued Senior Member

The cause of the universe exists outside of time (as time comes into being with the universe). The universe contains all manner of things, including conscious life.
    Different kinds of expressions, concepts, opinions, etc... To us this may seem like billions of years to come to this point in our evolution (some would beg to differ), which is obviously
    an inconceivable amount of time. But to a timeless cause, it would occur at will. And I say 'will', because we experience 'will', therefore it exists, therefore it is a part of the cause.
    A 'will' signifies desire, choice, etc... Such attributes are personal, not material.

jan.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Beer w/Straw Transcendental Ignorance! Valued Senior Member

OK well then... Why would some "God" cause us to exist?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Jan Ardena OM!!! Valued Senior Member

I explained what every thing means. It basically means material objects. As far as we know material objects have an explanation for their existence, meaning they are contingent.
    The cause-er of the universe, or everything (according to definition), cannot be the same as it's effect. It cannot bring time into being (let's call time a clock), and then be under the control of the device.
    That makes no sense.

jan.

8. Jan Ardena OM!!! Valued Senior Member

If humans need God, the question is: ''why do humans need God''?
    Putting aside the throwaways like man need an explanation for thunder, or some devious people invented Him to control the masses, etc...
    Why not look at it from the perspective that God IS logically necessary, and that's the reason why humans need Him. There are humans who believe they don't need God, but it obviously doesn't mean that God doesn't exist, only that we don't need Him.
    I guess I'm asking why bother to maintain that God does not exist, or there is no evidence for God (when there clearly is), why not just admit you don't need Him (like a teenager may think he/she doesn't need his/father, and expresses that by pretending he doesn't exit).

Because we totally reliant on God. Without God, there is no perception, no awareness. We're living on a planet that is finely tuned for us. We have an abundance of food, water, and resources. We have the ability to know God, or deny Him (should we choose). We can understand the greatness of God through art, science, religion, and philosophy. This is an ability we take for granted, without appreciating how we have obtained it. Of course this has nothing to do with the logic of God's necessary existence, as in it doesn't prove God exists. But if God does exist..;

jan.

9. Jan Ardena OM!!! Valued Senior Member

Because we want to experience like God, so God allows that to happen.

jan.

10. Beer w/Straw Transcendental Ignorance! Valued Senior Member

And you know this how?

11. Edont Knoff Registered Senior Member

Sorry, but no. I don't believe in any god. I don't rely on any god. I'm nearly 100% sure there is no god, even that I can't prove it. I perceive and I am aware. All without any god.

You should not extrapolate yourself this way, and assume everyone is like you. If you imagine to be all reliant on god, ok. But that doesn't mean, everyone is.

PS: In your case I'd be very careful. It might be that you rely on an illusion. This can hurt very much if the illison finally pops. Better not rely on anything else but yourself and your own abilities. That's the only thing no one can take from you.

12. Jan Ardena OM!!! Valued Senior Member

Through God's word.

jan.

13. Beer w/Straw Transcendental Ignorance! Valued Senior Member

OK, what's the word?

14. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Because it's both. No one needs him and he doesn't exist.

Edont Knoff likes this.
  15. Jan Ardena OM!!! Valued Senior Member

Belief has nothing to do with it.
    You are aware because you're bodily machine comes with that ability.

If the logical conclusion is, God exist. Then every sentient being in the cosmos is reliant upon the mercy of God, whether you believe in Him, accept the proposition, or not.
    In most scriptures you will find something like 'it is a fool that says there is no God'.

We have our allotted time, then we leave. You have no control, you only think you do.
    Your abilities can taken away from you, just like that.

jan.

16. Jan Ardena OM!!! Valued Senior Member

I tried to talk to you earlier about the word, and you brushed me off.
    Why should I waste time talking to you now?

jan.

17. Jan Ardena OM!!! Valued Senior Member

So you believe God doesn't exist?

jan.

18. Beer w/Straw Transcendental Ignorance! Valued Senior Member

So, you are jerking me around?

19. Jan Ardena OM!!! Valued Senior Member

No. I'm fobbing you off.

jan.

20. Edont Knoff Registered Senior Member

See. No god needed there.

21. Beer w/Straw Transcendental Ignorance! Valued Senior Member

OK.

22. Jan Ardena OM!!! Valued Senior Member

Really?

jan.

23. Edont Knoff Registered Senior Member

There is Occams razor - if you have two explanations, take the one which needs fewer new and/or additional concepts/entities whatever. This is not a 100% rule, but a surprising good one.

So if I have two equivalent explanations, one which requires a god, and one which can explain the thing without a god, I'll take the one without a god.

So yes, really. Unless there comes evidence that the simple explanation was insufficient. You can deliver such evidence, but your postings here showed a lot of claims, yet little evidence to support your claims, so I have doubts you can undermine the simple explanation that need no god. But go ahead and try.

PS: Evidence, as I mean it, must be testable and repeatable. It's not sufficient to say "I have seen". It must be possible to repeat the sight and test it. Otherwise it's just an empty phrase to me. Everone can claim "I have seen/experienced", it means nothing if the thing in question cannot be repeated and tested by other people.