Jupiter to spit out new planet on July 4?

Discussion in 'Astronomy, Exobiology, & Cosmology' started by MetaKron, Jun 8, 2006.

1. MetaKron Registered Senior Member

Thank you, and that is just slightly more frightening. Communist Hamster asked if the spots go down that far, and there are astronomers who think that they do. Just off the top of my head (please notice that I often tell everyone that it is just off the top of my head) this could mean a merger further down, and that merger is causing the tops of the storms to move apart. The merger would logically start further down where the storms are closer together.

I predicted July 4 just because it would be a great time for a monumental coincidence. Could the merger have started then? How would I know? The prediction about it spitting out a planet is still good if it happens within a month or so.

Think about this. The moon is 1.25 percent of the mass of the earth, approximately. It causes tides up to 12 feet high in some places. A hundredth of that mass, .00125 percent of Earth's, would raise the same tides at 25,000 miles. So, any mass within a rather broad range, passing within the Moon's orbit, could raise a tide a thousand feet high or more. Just off the top of my head again, if the earth tide is something like a tenth of the height of the water tide, maybe, just maybe, that earth tide would stop the rotation of the crust for a period of time. Such a mass could spend days trekking across cislunar space, sapping momentum from the Earth by the gravitational slingshot effect and maybe indeed causing a temporarily very eccentric rotation of the Earth, and leave it rotating on a different axis.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. eburacum45 Valued Senior Member

Indeed it could, you are right.
    But the fact that there has been no such disturbance to the Earth for at least 500 million years (as shown by the geological record and the orbit of the Moon) suggests that this is a remote possibility.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. MetaKron Registered Senior Member

I do not know that the geological record or the orbit of the moon show any such thing. The orbit of our moon is fairly eccentric. That eccentricity amounts to about 10 percent of its mean distance from the Earth. Its inclination varies between 28.6 and 18.3 degrees. How do we know when it acquired that eccentricity and inclination?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Ophiolite Valued Senior Member

Get an education, or accept correction when you are wrong, or piss off. Your choice. [Do you know how to choose?]

8. Genji Registered Senior Member

Already got my education.

I was not incorrect.

What am I choosing?

You need to adapt to non asswipe posters.

Luv Genji

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

9. Ophiolite Valued Senior Member

Education is a continuous and continuing process. I am not surprised to learn you think yours is complete.
    Find me a single established astronomer, from the Sumerians to one of today's recent graduates, who asserts Jupiter is not a planet. You cannot.
    You could not be more wrong if you were a bowlegged armadillo, claiming to be the reincarnation of Arthur Askey.

You are choosing to grow up, or to remain a fool.
    No I don't.

10. Genji Registered Senior Member

Yes you do. Infinity.

11. Laika Space Bitch Registered Senior Member

Walter, I don't understand why the heavier elements would accumulate at the larger of the two mass concentrations. If there was enough angular momentum for the centres of mass to be in orbit around each other, why would it be lost by the heavier elements in particular? If anything I'd have thought the opposite would be true, since heavier particles would be less perturbed by the gaseous surroundings.

Don't give us that nonsense MetaKron. Instead, try indulging us - your intellectual inferiors - by backing up what you claim with some evidence. And maybe some answers to my questions too.

12. eburacum45 Valued Senior Member

The close encounter of the spots has finally happened, as shown here

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

No sign of an ejected comet, but nevertheless spectacular.

13. lixluke Refined Reinvention Valued Senior Member

How long ago was this? Did they already pass without incident?

14. MetaKron Registered Senior Member

I wonder if that one tiny white spot that is more or less to the upper right is a persistent feature. This has nothing to do with ejecting a planet. I'm just wondering. A small, intensely different area like that is of scientific interest.

We really need 24/7 high resolution images of Jupiter. Maybe a website that gathers the better images from amateurs around the world and puts them together as a set of slides that people can navigate back and forth. They could be arranged by day and then by hour and down to however many we have. With the coverage we have now an entire moon could have plunged in to make Red Jr. and we wouldn't know it.

15. lixluke Refined Reinvention Valued Senior Member

I would like to see that. The 2 hurricanes merging together, and spitting an Earth-sized planet right at earth. That would be pretty funny.

16. MetaKron Registered Senior Member

In a big way it would please me no end. I would be one of the first ones out with a book, too, because I have been doing research.

17. eburacum45 Valued Senior Member

Near-infrared image of Jupiter obtained on the night of July 14, 2006 (UT, July 13 HST) using ALTAIR, the natural/laser guide star adaptive optics system (in natural guide star mode, with field lens) on the Gemini North telescope on Mauna Kea in Hawai'i.

Hmm- adaptive optics strike again!