Jupiter help earth survive?

Discussion in 'Astronomy, Exobiology, & Cosmology' started by David G. Smith, Jul 14, 2000.

1. David G. Smith Registered Member

I'm new here so hello and all that stuff.
    Anyway, I recently heard of a theory that
    Jupiter is placed placed in our solar system
    in such a way as to block meteors from striking Earth as often. Stated that without Jupiter life on Earth would not exist today.
    Has anyone heard this before? Who wrote it?

------------------
    DAVE

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Letticia Registered Senior Member

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Danis Registered Member

So it means, that the number of possible planets, with inteligent inhabitants, shrinks, because of that formula, used to calculate that number. Protection against aseroids and meteorides was not included, I think so. correct me if i'm wrong.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. David G. Smith Registered Member

Thank you "Rare Earth" is what I was looking for.
    I'll know more after I read it but asteroids from around Pluto's orbit can be blocked by Jupiter but asteroids from the belt on the other side of Mars could not be blocked.

From what I remember from that article I read they did talk about how other intelligent life could be more rare when you factor in how life on any planet would be disrupted or
    wiped out from constant bombardment of meteors and asteroids. To sustain life for
    a long enough period of time to gain intelligent life the planet must be in a
    stable environment.
    I'll have more later.

8. Infinity Registered Senior Member

Nope...Jupiter dosnt help squat!

9. Spadge Registered Senior Member

Yes, Jupiter does help block certain objects which may have come near Earth.

It was discussed at length during an excellent TV series about the Universe that I watched only recently.

10. David G. Smith Registered Member

Letticia posted this site which explains all the latest research on the subject. I believe this proves that we are either all alone in the universe (except God of course) or that if there is intelligent life or any life out
    there that it would be too far to ever reach. There are four parts. I recommend reading them all.
    http://www.spacedaily.com/news/life-00z3.html

11. Infinity Registered Senior Member

Hmm...possibly. Maybe the tv is wrong?