Jump rope problem

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by water, Aug 3, 2004.

1. water the sea Registered Senior Member

Jump rope problem

I have a Nike jump rope. The rope is made of a grey rubber-like material.

The problem is that the rope won't even out (it was bought folded, in a box). I tried to even it out and affixed it between two fix points for weeks, and it evened out a bit.

But now, it is getting even worse as that rubber rope began to behave as if it were made of usual rope -- you know how they tend to spin one around the other in the shape of a spiral. So if I run the rope fast, the extreme end just winds into that spiral. Huh.

Does anyone know what to do to prevent this?

And to make matters worse, at the part where the rope is affixed into the handles, the handles are gnawing away the rope. I put some tape around the rope at that part -- but it gets gnawed away real quick. What could I do fix it?

P.S.
    I got the rope as a New Year's present, and it was pretty expensive, so I can't just throw it away.

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

presents...always a dilemma.

I have no answer.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Playboy Bunny Registered Member

tell the person u got if from whats happening to it, and ask them for a receipt and try and get a replacement. If not, call the customer line and tell them whats going on. Either way you should get a new one. Good Luck

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. robtex Registered Senior Member

Rosamagika that is awsome that you are jumping rope. It is a great outlet for cardio. Boxers and wrestlers (not wwf) use it for endurance and you are going to find it at more challenging than the stairstepper. Rubber is strange choice though. Nylon or rope is much more common and usually they are 5-15 dollars. Strange that it was expensive.

Rubber is malleable to an extent. I was thinking u could hang the abnormal end and let the rest curl up on ground to let gravity elongate it instead of elongating it flat on the ground.

My gf (susan) just read this and surmises that there may be a manufacturer's defect and you should contact Nike .

8. SkippingStones splunk! Registered Senior Member

In order for a jump rope to work correctly, the "rope" must be able to spin inside the handles freely. If the ends are anchored firmly on the handles, you are twisting the rope every time it goes around.

Note: This is just a intuitive theory, I can't conceptualize whether or not I am actually correct.

9. Closet Philosopher Off to Laurentian University Registered Senior Member

I think you have to look if ti turns at the handles. If it doesn't, then it will spiral.

10. water the sea Registered Senior Member

Thanks.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Yes, I think that's the problem: the handles. When the jump rope was new, it ran fine, even though it wasn't even. But then, the handles gnawed away on the rope, so I put some tape on the rope at that part -- and this is when the spiraling began, as the tape obstructed the rope when turning.

But how am I to prevent the handles gnawing away the rope?!

11. robtex Registered Senior Member

tape the ends...so returning it is not an option? what is your routine with it...what other cardio do you do? Are you physically inclinded or reserved?

12. robtex Registered Senior Member

I didnt' mean returning it i meant exchanging it sorry

13. Closet Philosopher Off to Laurentian University Registered Senior Member

Make a hole in the end of the handle. Pull the rope through. Remove all tape from the handle. Tie a knot bigger than the hole on the other side of the handle. THen slip the rope inside the handle. Now, the rope should be able to rotate inside the handle to stop it from spiraling.

14. robtex Registered Senior Member

I like salt.....umm that is great if the wood does not splinter...is the handle made of wood? if it is not it might be kinda hard if it is and it splinters than need a new handle. But construction wise it sounds really sound.

How can a jump that is expensive (most are not) be so much damn trouble?

15. water the sea Registered Senior Member

I'm just curious -- "physically inclinded or reserved"?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Oh, and I'll try to find a pic of that jump rope.

16. Closet Philosopher Off to Laurentian University Registered Senior Member

yeah, a pic would help

17. water the sea Registered Senior Member

18. robtex Registered Senior Member

At 18 bucks (guessing it is about the same price) maybe you should give up on the fancy rope put it in the closet and go to walmart to buy a rope connected jump rope with swivels for handles or like salty said drilled through the handle.

To reply to your qoute sorry for being ambigious.....physically inclinded or reserved meant do you enjoy exercise and being physical or not too eager about it.......sorry for word choice.

19. water the sea Registered Senior Member

I'll give you a hint: When I see a hill, my knees itch -- I want to run down it, full speed. I live in the country, with a wood, fields -- all hills up and down.

There are some exercises I really love, some I don't that much (but since they are useful, I do them). But I *love* fast running.

20. Facial Valued Senior Member

I'm assuming the handle is made out of a tough material at the point where it touches the rope. In that case, you can try melting a 1-2mm thick layer of tough plastic on the rope like household HDPE at the place where it's grinding away.