"Jesus-uh"

Discussion in 'The Cesspool' started by Medicine*Woman, Nov 26, 2007.

1. Medicine*Woman Jesus: Mythstory--Not History! Valued Senior Member

M*W: Long story, short. Went to a Thanksgiving dinner with some friends who are devout christians. Invited were my friend's church leaders and a few of the congregation. They did a lot of praying, and I couldn't help but notice when the pastor was saying "Jesus," he was saying "Jesus-uh." I've also noticed that the televangelists say it this way, too. What is the deal with that? It sounds so phony.

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Reiku Banned Banned

Ir's the correct way to say his name. Jesus, or Jesh - ua.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Reiku Banned Banned

Also written as Yeshua.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. SnakeLord snakeystew.com Valued Senior Member

Surely the correct way would be with a 'y' in place of the 'j'?

[edit] sorry, written at same time as your last post

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Suffice it to say then that "jesus" even with an uh on the end is actually not this beings name?

8. nietzschefan Thread Killer Valued Senior Member

She's talking about that southern evangelist "aaahhh" they tap on the end, of pronouncing "GEEZZUSZZZ"

Ya it's weird, and merely for dramatic effect.

9. Reiku Banned Banned

I am only deducting by logic, that MW thought this was what they were saying, when perhaps they where uttering his correct pronoun.

10. Michael 歌舞伎 Valued Senior Member

They watch too much TV - how about GeeZeus

11. Reiku Banned Banned

Don't say THAT!!! TV is the devils instrument Lol...

12. Thoreau Valued Senior Member

"Praise da Load! Jesus-uh is in da house!"

13. Reiku Banned Banned

14. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

Is that a religious slur? Are you ridiculing religious people?

Baron Max

PS - should I report you to the mods?

15. Reiku Banned Banned

Is that a retorical question?

16. Grantywanty Registered Senior Member

Why didn't you or don't you ask them? A bunch of people speculating seems rather worthless compared to the direct answers of those who may know. Of course it may simply be a tradition, a way of partially singing the name. Many religions, including Native American ones, have ritualized ways of speaking in sacred contexts. Words are said rhythmically, or with rising or falling tones, or sung, etc. I mention Native American ones since you've said your heritage, I believe, is Cherokee, and I assume you've looked into their practices. I have to say the OP just seems like a way of mocking them.

17. Medicine*Woman Jesus: Mythstory--Not History! Valued Senior Member

M*W: Thanks for your comment. I did not mean to sound as if this were anything but a common practice. I've heard a lot of televangelists and other christian clergy stress the last syllable, and I never understood why. I agree that it is heard a lot in the South where I come from, but there are other televangelists on TV from other areas of the country that stress the last syllable of "uh." I am not criticizing or ridiculing them, but as someone who appreciates languages, I find this an interesting addition to the name of Jesus.

I'm not sure why this was cesspooled. I was sincere with my question.

18. John99 Banned Banned

You were invited WHERE?

Was your head spinning at the time?

Last edited: Nov 27, 2007
  19. Medicine*Woman Jesus: Mythstory--Not History! Valued Senior Member

M*W: Yeah, surprised are you? I was among very good friends, mostly Vietnamese christians. And, no the walls didn't come tumbling down upon me!

20. DeepThought Banned Banned

Did you point out to them that they were pronouncing the Lords name incorrectly and might go to Hell as result?

You may have found yourself a little niche... I see radio interviews, T.V. appearances and books.

21. Thoreau Valued Senior Member

Why did this get thrown to the pool? It should have been moved atleast to linguistics. After all, we ARE talking about language.

22. Medicine*Woman Jesus: Mythstory--Not History! Valued Senior Member

M*W: Well, I was a guest of good friends, and it would have been rude to correct them about this. I think Nietszhiefan gave the right answer. How could I correct them when I've heard other evangelists pronounce Jesus the same way? I don't think, however, that it was just another way of saying "Yeshua."

And, yes, I meant this post to be a sincere one and was not ridiculing them in anyway. It was just an observation on my part, and I guess the thing that surprised me was that they were of Vietnamese descent and not of the typical Southern dialect.

23. John99 Banned Banned

Thats odd.:shrug: