Jesus or Buddha?

Discussion in 'Religion Archives' started by Saint, Jun 7, 2005.

1. Enigma'07 Who turned out the lights?!?! Registered Senior Member

One would have to willfully ignore historical evidance to come to such a conclusion. Scholars do not debate if this man Jesus of Nazareth lived; they debate weather he really was who he said he was.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Medicine*Woman Jesus: Mythstory--Not History! Valued Senior Member

Enigma'07: One would have to willfully ignore historical evidance to come to such a conclusion. Scholars do not debate if this man Jesus of Nazareth lived; they debate weather he really was who he said he was.
    M*W: One cannot ignore historical evidence. Unfortunately, there is no "historical evidence" to prove that Jesus Christ lived. As I am sure you do not research this, scholars do, in fact, debate if the man Jesus of Nazareth ever lived. Conclusions come to no historical evidence; Jesus was the fictitional character of Paul's wet dreams; Jesus was not divine until Constantine gave him that appointment; and the whole bible is nothing but an astrological calendar, Jesus included!

As much as I tried to prove to myself that Jesus actually existed, I could not prove it. I wish I could have, then I would rethink my position of not believing. But this just didn't happen over the 20 or so years I did the research.

I realize this is shocking to believers, but I do not apologize for my findings. It is through your rampant belief that he did exist that brings your case down. Jesus did not exist as a human whether he was divine or not. His divinity is suspect at best. He died for no one because he never lived.

Christians can continue to believe what they believe, and the rest of the world is no worse for the wear.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. VossistArts 3MTA3 Registered Senior Member

what did you discover to explain why, in the time of Paul or Constantine that no one wrote anything directly stating that jesus was fiction? he was all over in writings. you'd think there would've been as much criticism of the fictional story of jesus being presented as though it were fact as there was writing about jesus being real. more in fact.Im just curious. Ive been into studying this history myself. also if Paul was a lunatic he was also a genius. I cant see anyone concocting such a story.
    As for someone saying that to believe in Buddha is to believe that one can attain enlightenment themselves. I believe jesus taught that the only way to realize heaven was through ones self. When he said " I an the Way" he said it as if to say repeat after me. More actually, Jesus was known for speaking as if he were everyone and anyone, Sounding the voice of the host which speaks for everyone rather than speaking from his individual point of view. further evidence of jesus teaching we each are the way :" From the gospel of Thomas:

Jesus said, `I am not your master. Because you have drunk, you have become drunk from the bubbling stream which I have measured out....

He who will drink from my mouth will become as I am: I myself shall become he, and the things that are hidden will be revealed to him.

Jesus says:
    "If those who lead you say to you: ‘Look, the kingdom is in the sky!’
    then the birds of the sky will precede you.
    If they say to you: ‘It is in the sea,’ then the fishes will precede you.
    Rather, the kingdom is inside of you, and outside of you."
    "When you come to know yourselves, then you will be known,
    and you will realize that you are the children of the living Father.
    But if you do not come to know yourselves, then you exist in poverty, and you are poverty."

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Light Travelling It's a girl O lord in a flatbed Ford Registered Senior Member

The bible also quotes Jesus as syaing - "the secret is that christ is inside you". But people still only look for Jesus to bring it to them externally.

8. VossistArts 3MTA3 Registered Senior Member

lazy selfish people. time to cut jesus a break.

9. Light Travelling It's a girl O lord in a flatbed Ford Registered Senior Member

Well its true, basically Jesus gave the empowering message of, we are all the sons of god - follow me.

But everyone stood back and said, look at him he is the only son of god, and instead of following gave the de-empowering message of 'worship him' instead.

Of course a similar but far less dramatic and damaging thing happened to Buddha, with all the statues and temples etc. (mainly due to his teachings being more precise)

10. Sushupti Saver of Babies Registered Senior Member

Dumbest thing I ever heard... Didn't know you were christian...