jesus christ is god

Discussion in 'Religion Archives' started by firingseeds, May 7, 2003.

1. edgar Registered Senior Member

god is a holy trninty. holy spirit, god the father, and jesus. they are one and yet they are 3.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. True Wisdom Registered Senior Member

That doesn't explain the pluralism in the OT, considering the trinity is only exclusive to Christianity. The OT or Tanakh came way before Jesus, and the Hebrews had no concept of the holy ghost nor Christ.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. EvilPoet I am what I am Registered Senior Member

Three different translations of Genesis 3:5 ...

King James Version (KJV)

"For God doth know that in the day ye eat thereof,
    then your eyes shall be opened, and ye shall be as
    gods, knowing good and evil."
    __

New King James Version (NKJV)

"For God knows that in the day you eat of it your eyes
    will be opened, and you will be like God, knowing good
    and evil."
    __

The Torah (The Five Books Of Moses)

"but God knows that as soon as you eat of it your eyes
    will be opened and you will be like divine beings who
    know good and bad."

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Free Cycle Registered Senior Member

Indeed, which translation is the correct one, the true word of god as he intended? Which has not been corrupted? What about those books that may have been lost or removed, such as the apocrypha or book of esther (?) ?

It is easy to overlook the possibilities of tampering over time, possibilities that may have changed our norm from what it was intended to be originally.

8. firingseeds Registered Senior Member

EvilPoet

amen brother!...praise the lord jesus christ for his grace.

some more stew to the pot....

contemporary english version
    god understands what will happen on the day you eat fruit from that tree. you will see what u have done, and u will know the difference between right and wrong, just as god does.

new world translation
    for god knows that in the very day of your eating from it your eyes are bound to be opened and u are bound to be like god, knowing good and evil

9. firingseeds Registered Senior Member

true wisdom

hi!....deuteronomy 6.4...hear, o israel: the lord our god is one lord

10. firingseeds Registered Senior Member

free cycle

shalom....my weapon of choice is the akjv....ol' faithful..

Last edited: May 8, 2003
  11. firingseeds Registered Senior Member

edgar

amen

12. SVRP Registered Senior Member

Genesis 17: 1 - 27

1 Now when Abram was ninety-nine years old, the LORD appeared to Abram and said to him, "I am God Almighty; Walk before Me, and be blameless.
    2 "I will establish My covenant between Me and you, And I will multiply you exceedingly."
    3 Abram fell on his face, and God talked with him, saying,
    4 "As for Me, behold, My covenant is with you, And you will be the father of a multitude of nations.
    5 "No longer shall your name be called Abram, But your name shall be Abraham; For I have made you the father of a multitude of nations.
    6 "I will make you exceedingly fruitful, and I will make nations of you, and kings will come forth from you.
    7 "I will establish My covenant between Me and you and your descendants after you throughout their generations for an everlasting covenant, to be God to you and to your descendants after you.
    8 " I will give to you and to your descendants after you, the land of your sojournings, all the land of Canaan, for an everlasting possession; and I will be their God."
    9 God said further to Abraham, "Now as for you, you shall keep My covenant, you and your descendants after you throughout their generations.
    10 " This is My covenant, which you shall keep, between Me and you and your descendants after you: every male among you shall be circumcised.
    11 "And you shall be circumcised in the flesh of your foreskin, and it shall be the sign of the covenant between Me and you.
    12 "And every male among you who is eight days old shall be circumcised throughout your generations, a {servant} who is born in the house or who is bought with money from any foreigner, who is not of your descendants.
    13 "A {servant} who is born in your house or who is bought with your money shall surely be circumcised; thus shall My covenant be in your flesh for an everlasting covenant.
    14 "But an uncircumcised male who is not circumcised in the flesh of his foreskin, that person shall be cut off from his people; he has broken My covenant."
    15 Then God said to Abraham, "As for Sarai your wife, you shall not call her name Sarai, but Sarah {shall be} her name.
    16 "I will bless her, and indeed I will give you a son by her. Then I will bless her, and she shall be {a mother of} nations; kings of peoples will come from her."
    17 Then Abraham fell on his face and laughed, and said in his heart, "Will a child be born to a man one hundred years old? And will Sarah, who is ninety years old, bear {a child?}"
    18 And Abraham said to God, "Oh that Ishmael might live before You!"
    19 But God said, "No, but Sarah your wife will bear you a son, and you shall call his name Isaac; and I will establish My covenant with him for an everlasting covenant for his descendants after him.
    20 "As for Ishmael, I have heard you; behold, I will bless him, and will make him fruitful and will multiply him exceedingly. He shall become the father of twelve princes, and I will make him a great nation.
    21 "But My covenant I will establish with Isaac, whom Sarah will bear to you at this season next year."
    22 When He finished talking with him, God went up from Abraham.
    23 Then Abraham took Ishmael his son, and all {the servants} who were born in his house and all who were bought with his money, every male among the men of Abraham's household, and circumcised the flesh of their foreskin in the very same day, as God had said to him.
    24 Now Abraham was ninety-nine years old when he was circumcised in the flesh of his foreskin.
    25 And Ishmael his son was thirteen years old when he was circumcised in the flesh of his foreskin.
    26 In the very same day Abraham was circumcised, and Ishmael his son.
    27 All the men of his household, who were born in the house or bought with money from a foreigner, were circumcised with him.

The passage says that circumcision of the flesh is a sign of an everlasting covenant between God and the desendants of Abraham. It is very inventive and imaginative to assume "every male" also means everyone who believes in God, when the passage specifically means the desendants of Abraham.

13. firingseeds Registered Senior Member

snakelord

god declared abraham righteous on the grounds of him trusting. he was not circumcised then. he is both the father of the gentile and the jew - one covenant of faith and the other of works*:

"yes, your fathers put me to the test:
    they challenged me, and they saw my work for forty years!
    and in my anger, i swore
    that they would not enter my rest." psalm 95

...jesus be that rest.

* "see! the days are coming, says adonai
    when i will establish
    over the house of israel
    and over the house of judah
    a new covenant.
    it will not be like the covenant
    which i made with their fathers
    on the day when i took them by the hand
    and led them forth out of the
    land of egypt;
    because they, for their part, did not
    remain faithful to my cove-
    nant;
    ** [so i, for my part, stopped
    concerning myself with them,
    says adonai." ]....( **optional translation )

PS so be it

14. EvilPoet I am what I am Registered Senior Member

firingseeds,

Brother? I think you better look at my picture in the picture thread. You can praise Jesus all you like, I'll pass. I prefer to avoid dogma whenever possible. Unless, of course, you are talking about the movie Dogma, then that is a different story altogether.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

15. firingseeds Registered Senior Member

evilpoet

yeah...no worries

Last edited: May 8, 2003
  16. True Wisdom Registered Senior Member

Re: true wisdom

The Jews were broken into tribes and practiced tribal monotheism, meaning one god for each tribe but accepted the concept of the council of the gods(Elohim;plural)

Genesis 3:22
    And the Lord God said, "Now that the man has become like one of us, knowing good and bad, what if he should stretch out his hand and take also from the tree of life and eat, and live forever!"

That passage also displays similar themes in other mythologies, showing the jealousy of god(s) over humans, hence why god banished Adam and Eve from the garden of Eden to keep them from becoming equal to god.

17. EvilPoet I am what I am Registered Senior Member

"The proper noun God, with a capital "G", refers to a single ultimate, infinite source (immanent and/or transcendent) of being in the universe. This is in contrast with the common noun god (used in lower case), which refers to a typically immortal, supernatural being with great powers. No undisputed evidence has ever been found for the existence of God or of gods, but belief in God or gods is found in almost all cultures, although followers of a particular god or gods may consider other gods to be purely fictional."

Source: Wikipedia

18. SnakeLord snakeystew.com Valued Senior Member

Well the god of the bible is packed to the brim with jealousy. This particular line shows the point:

Exodus 34:14 Do not worship any other god, for the Lord, whose name is Jealous, is a jealous god.

(Please note when it says: 'name is Jealous', it uses a capital J).

There is an overwhelming amount of evidence to show, (if the bible is true), that there are multiple gods. Ok, the bible god might be the Lord god, but Lord just signifies rank status amongst a collection of similar beings, it does not attest to singularity.

But either way, one god or a million gods, this particular one is jealous. Even his name is Jealous.

Jealousy does not show perfection. Furthermore jealous beings can be very impulsive, rude and violent.

19. EvilPoet I am what I am Registered Senior Member

Jealousy - suspicion of a wife's purity, one of the strongest passions (Num. 5:14; Prov. 6:34; Cant. 8:6); also an intense interest for another's honour or prosperity (Ps. 79:5; 1 Cor. 10:22; Zech. 1:14).

Jealousy offering - the name of the offering the husband was to bring when he charged his wife with adultery (Num. 5:11-15).

Jealousy, Image of - an idolatrous object, seen in vision by Ezekiel (Ezek. 8:3, 5), which stood in the priests' or inner court of the temple. Probably identical with the statue of Astarte (2 Kings 21:7).

Jealousy, Waters of - water which the suspected wife was required to drink, so that the result might prove her guilt or innocence (Num. 5:12-17, 27). We have no record of this form of trial having been actually resorted to.

Source: Easton's Bible Dictionary

See also: Seven deadly sins

20. Red Devil Born Again Athiest Registered Senior Member

Wow! Major statement for the 21st Century! As it happens he isn't; he was a left wing radical who wanted to stir up trouble against the Roman Occupying Forces. Nowadays his name would be Che or Osama. He only became "god" when the Christian "We can make a few dollars out of this" lot got their act together and started the biggest promotion deal since dawn of time.

21. EvilPoet I am what I am Registered Senior Member

22. JOHANNsebastianBACH concert master Registered Senior Member

Re: true wisdom

The bible is not the word of god. The bible is the word of man through hallucinations of god. The bible is wrong. But if true truth is what you seek, I’ll bet it is located in the Dead Sea scrolls.

23. JOHANNsebastianBACH concert master Registered Senior Member

Re: Re: true wisdom

the above Quote is an example of truth

the above quote is an example of a lie.