jealousy

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by allisone417, Dec 2, 2005.

1. allisone417 i'll be in my room Registered Senior Member

are all negative emotions born from jealousy?
    help me test this thought.

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Roman Banned Banned

It depends on how loosely you define jealousy.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

The death of a friend evokes "negative" emotions, but that's not born of jealousy, is it?

I think the issue of "negative emotion" might need to be more clearly defined. What are "negative" emotions? And do those have to be the same for everyone?

Baron Max

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

The human spirit is not that simple. You're not going to be able to reduce it to such a nice neat paradigm. Everyone from the ancient Egyptians and Greeks to Shakespeare and Jung has identified 23 components to it. That's a prime number.

8. EmptyForceOfChi Banned Banned

nah, nice theory though man,

negativety comes from alot more things than jelousy,

fear,
    anger,
    hormones,
    chemicals,
    surroundings,

not to mention alot of other things, including the most important to me personally, "energies/Qi etc" but i wont mention that as its not highly accepted outside of Qi energy discussions and things surrounding those topics, and rarely accepted even in those topics also, so ile stick with the top things i said,

peace,

9. taylan007 Madman Registered Senior Member

You could use the negative energy from jelousy in a positive way. ie you could be jelous of your friend having a better job than you and you make your self work harder in your job so you could move up and be in a better position.

10. Watcher Just another old creaker Registered Senior Member

I'd say all negative emptions are based on fear. Jealousy being rooted in the fear of abandonment, loss, competition. So I'd say it's a secondary not a primary negative emotion.

11. Azzy42 Registered Senior Member

How does fear influence the hatred and anger you feel towards the man who raped your friend. Or jealously???? WTF !!!!
    They never caught him.

12. Hector Berlioz Registered Senior Member

Suppose negitive emoition stems from the dissonance between desired outcomes and actual outcomes.

13. water the sea Registered Senior Member

Jealousy is a combination of anger and desire.

14. kazbadan Registered Senior Member

The majority of bad emotions that grow up in a relationship (date/marriage, etc) may have its origin on jealousy, but not the same for other emotions, i think.

15. Satyr Banned Banned

All emotions are rooted in anxiety, as it relates to Life as Need.
    The purest emotion being that of fear, which is the primal anxiety associated with Life and its foreseeable and always possible end.

All other emotions are related to or combinations in reference to or in reaction to, this primal existential anxiety.

Jealousy, therefore, can be seen, under this light as the anxiety associated with the loss or threat to a source for the alleviation of a Need associated with survival.

Jealousy is most often associated with the loss of Love or a threat to it.
    Love, a case in point, is the emotion associated with the coveting of supportive elements necessary for survival. It is the emotion that allows tolerance and proximity and makes the communion of alien consciousnesses possible that, in turn, enables procreation – the answer to mortality and changing environments – and survival through cooperation and unity.
    Here we see how Love is a reaction against Fear and the anxiety associated with existence. Through it the Self is lost in the Other more thoroughly and the anxiety of existence is lessened through diffusion.

The case of jealousy is doubly diffracted by the fact that it is associated with Want, which is the unity and/or oblique focus of a Need.
    We want things or people who obliquely satisfy a Need necessary to our survival, even if the Want itself is not immediately associated with our survival.
    Any threat to our Wants creates an anger focused by Desire upon a specific object which threatens it and is rooted in the Fear of losing it, which is called jealousy.

Although the object of our Wants may not be immediately necessary for our survival and may not satisfy a Need directly, it often serves as a nexus for multiple indirect and/or combinations of Needs.

For instance being jealous of a lover may not be associated directly with the immediacy of death and our existential anxieties concerning it but the lover represents a nexus of Needs, social mostly but also physical and procreative which can be directly linked to this anxiety.

The concepts of “negative/positive” emotions are social/cultural constructs denoting a communal acceptability or non-acceptability of said emotion or labeling the emotion in accordance to its communal constructive or destructive effect on the whole.
    An emotion that enables and enhances conformity and unity and harmony, and which facilitates the diffusion of Self within the “theyness”, is deemed positive because it allows for the escape from anxiety.
    An emotion which confronts or hinders assimilation and harmonious co-existence, and which makes the diffusion of the Self more difficult and isolates the Self to itself, is deemed negative, because it forces the anxiety exclusively upon the Self, where it belongs.

These terms have no other meaning other than as the imposition of a communal “they” upon a phenomenon of Self.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2005
  16. leopold Valued Senior Member

there are no negative emotions it's how you react to them that makes them good or bad.
    -deanna troi, star trek the next generation. from the episode descent.

17. valich Registered Senior Member

Jealousy has more than one source. If you are content with yourself then you wil not become jealous of other people or of what other people have or know. You will be content and at peace with what you have and who you are.

If you are a person that always strives to be better than the next, or to constantly desire more or possess more than another person, then you will always experience jealousy.